Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:25 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by agjil
So Marriott really doesn't want to tell us how they are going to handle floating certs from the old travel packages.
I guess if Marriott was going to give out points for floating certs then they would not need to freeze the certs for a month nor allow people to use them after a month.
Now I think it's fairly obvious that the old certs are NOT going to be returned in the form of points, and somehow old certs will be converted to new ones.
You received a 5-day or 7-day hotel certificate. No matter what changes, you still hold the hotel certificate, no cash, no points. It is super clear to me.

If the old hotel certificate is worth 40,000 MR points, it should be worth the same level, or bumped one level up if it is in between. (Cat-6 50k in this case). This is how I read it.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by osotoc
Looks like I'll be able to use my two unattached then after 18 Sept. I'm still thinking my Cat 1-5 will at least match to the new Cat 4 which I will use in Asia, where there are some really great eligible properties per the new award chart.
This is my working plan exactly.
osotoc likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
So Marriott really doesn't want to tell us how they are going to handle floating certs from the old travel packages.
I guess if Marriott was going to give out points for floating certs then they would not need to freeze the certs for a month nor allow people to use them after a month.
Now I think it's fairly obvious that the old certs are NOT going to be returned in the form of points, and somehow old certs will be converted to new ones.
I could argue just the opposite: that they are going to convert them into points, but as a way perhaps to level the playing field between those who purchase TP speculatively and those who are refraining for whatever reason, they are instituting a one-month speed bump in redemptions. I truly don't know. I mean, honestly, anything is possible. The 'statement' given to OMAAT is deliberately uninformative, and can be made to mean anything anyone wants, rendering it little more than a Rorschach test of sorts.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
I could argue just the opposite: that they are going to convert them into points, but as a way perhaps to level the playing field between those who purchase TP speculatively and those who are refraining for whatever reason, they are instituting a one-month speed bump in redemptions. I truly don't know. I mean, honestly, anything is possible. The 'statement' given to OMAAT is deliberately uninformative, and can be made to mean anything anyone wants, rendering it little more than a Rorschach test of sorts.
This seems pretty definitive that will not be the case:
"If you are still trying to plan that perfect trip, you can hold onto the certificate and will be able to add it to a reservation starting September 18, 2018."
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:43 pm

This may be lost in everyone's theorizing, but is anyone else not seeing the option to attach a 7 night certificate on the Marriott award booking page at the moment? I've searched two different cities and not seeing the option to apply my certificate.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by COMike78
Otherwise I take everything that is posted on this topic with a Costco-sized grain of salt.
You may want to reconsider that.

This is from a Starwood Lurker on the FT SPG Forum (posted about an hour ago):

How to Use Your Current Travel Package Certificate Prior to 8/18

And duplicated here: How to Use Your Current Travel Package Certificate Prior to 8/18
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's clear that they intend to allow legacy certificates to convert to new certificates, but don't have the software ready yet.

I'm not too worried: my Cat 5 will become a future Cat 4, maybe in mid-September, maybe later. The freeze-out period likely means they'll reset expiration dates, probably to 1 year from the date they debug the software and open it up to new-program bookings.

We aren't getting points. If that was the game plan, they'd just issue a points credit on August 19th and be done with it. Wouldn't take difficult-to-write software.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum; Marriott Titanium Elite; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by RedSun
You received a 5-day or 7-day hotel certificate. No matter what changes, you still hold the hotel certificate, no cash, no points. It is super clear to me.

If the old hotel certificate is worth 40,000 MR points, it should be worth the same level, or bumped one level up if it is in between. (Cat-6 50k in this case). This is how I read it.
I agree. But regardless of what happens, Marriott is shaping up to have PR disaster on their hands which is entirely of their own making.

The fact of the matter is that Marriott has not issued any official information to anyone via official channels on what will happen to these certs and we are now 8 days away from D-Day (or SPG-Day if you prefer). So if the blackout period does end up being true, what if I am one of those lucky Europeans who takes the entire month of August off and don't look at my email at all during this time? How would you expect me to feel when I come back on Sept 1 ready to book a hotel with my certificate only to be told "no can do - we are in the middle of a month-long blackout period and no redemption allowed!"? Even outside of Europe, this is period for major vacation time before school starts back up - I would not be spending too much time thinking about my unattached TP certs. Keeping in mind that I was not informed of this blackout at any point either on the phone when I obtained the TP cert or in the weeks (or even months) since the original merger date was announced.

Even if we all get blasted with emails today confirming everything as fact, common sense should dictate that you don't inform people 1 week prior.

I truly hope that the Marriott call center agents have access to Red Bull and strong coffee because it is going to be a rough ride for the next few weeks.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
It's clear that they intend to allow legacy certificates to convert to new certificates, but don't have the software ready yet.

I'm not too worried: my Cat 5 will become a future Cat 4, maybe in mid-September, maybe later. The freeze-out period likely means they'll reset expiration dates, probably to 1 year from the date they debug the software and open it up to new-program bookings.

We aren't getting points. If that was the game plan, they'd just issue a points credit on August 19th and be done with it. Wouldn't take difficult-to-write software.
Yep.

And I think this makes a ton of sense from Marriott's perspective, especially considering the number of packages that they have undoubtedly sold in the last couple of months. They're all priced assuming inefficient redemptions and breakage/surrender at default point amount. Bumping the conversion until after the program combination gives them time to get it right after the big work is done.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:51 pm

I agree. But regardless of what happens, Marriott is shaping up to have PR disaster on their hands which is entirely of their own making.
Why? Ok, you come back and have to wait three weeks for a booking at some point in time in the next year. That doesn't seem particularly problematic. The only real issue would be people who were intending on using them at a Starwood property betwen Aug 18 and September 18 or at a Marriott property that is dropping in price during those dates.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum; Marriott Titanium Elite; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by controller1
You may want to reconsider that.

This is from a Starwood Lurker on the FT SPG Forum (posted about an hour ago):

How to Use Your Current Travel Package Certificate Prior to 8/18

And duplicated here: How to Use Your Current Travel Package Certificate Prior to 8/18
While I place a great deal of trust in what I read on FT, I still do not consider it to be an official source of "truth" for Marriott communications. Show me the email!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:53 pm

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...e-prior-to-818
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
The Marrmotts have been cowardly cagey, the smart vultures couldn't help but smell that sign of weakness so they cornered the Marmotts in expectation of a meaty dinner.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
While I place a great deal of trust in what I read on FT, I still do not consider it to be an official source of "truth" for Marriott communications. Show me the email!
Hopefully, you'll consider the following as "truth"

Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I was finally able to pry/snatch one out of Marriott's stubborn hands thanks to an unsuspecting agent about a week ago (not an MVC member/owner). I felt like a thief when the agent started processing it on the phone . That is following many failed attempts in the past.
Well, if you represented yourself as being an MVC owner in order to get the 5N, the reason you felt like a thief would be because you were one. Deceit = fraud, and in a case such as this obtaining the certificate through false pretenses is considered theft even though you may have paid the points, because you were not entitled to make the transaction. If you are caught, not only would you lose the certificate but the associate you deceived may be in trouble and may lose his/her job because of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.