Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
First of all I am not saying that you are confused Happy. Second are there not a lot of people posting in this thread thinking they are actually getting points refunded? I think there are.
You are getting points refunded, on any certs that are still unattached by August 1st. No replacement cert would be issued.
That is a certainty.

What is not certain or actually UNKNOWN is, just how many points would be refunded. Many here have the wishful thinking / argument that Marriott would give them enough points to redeem for the same 7 nights - but what they conveniently forget is, the 7 night cert is a DISCOUNTED certificate as a component of the Travel Package, which due to the very nature of the airline miles once transferred, cannot be reversed, the hotel component of TP is deeply discounted.
Therefore it is pretty certain to me that if we dont have a cert attached to a reservation, said cert will be refunded with much less points needed to make a new 7 nights stay.

We also dont know if one cancel a hotel award stay thus free up the 7 night cert - how this cert would become?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You call the same number to book. Or you can book a reward stay online WITHOUT the pts (Marriott let you do that), then call to attach your cert to the booking.

As for whether Cotton House or Ren is better - they are of totally different styles. Only you can decide which one you prefer. Nor anyone can tell you which is the better value. I am sure you know Aeroplan will no longer be associated with Air Canada / Star Alliance effective June 2020.

You can NOT book any SPG hotels with TP before Aug 1st. And any unattached TP cert will be canceled by Aug 1st and converted back to points (nobody knows how the conversion value is as Marriott has chosen NOT to reveal that info as of now). So you would need to make up your mind before August 1st.
Thanks for the reply, this really clears up the booking process. There is just not much info on the Marriott site.
Yes, I am aware of AC/AE, I earn and burn through many AE points, so will have no issues using up any AE points left in 2020. I need another 30K AE points right now to book 2 tickets in J for my BCN trip in Dec. Hence trying to get the TP before, the AC J seats are gone, and the whole Aug 1. So many variables right now. lol

I guess since I do really need to use the hotel, I should book the TP right away, and get my miles to AE to get my J tickets, then book the Cotton House now.
If by Aug 1, the conversion rate is not in our favour, I keep my Cotton House bookings since I am going there anyways. If its in our favour, I can cancel my bookings to get the cert back?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:50 pm

You are getting points refunded, on any certs that are still unattached by August 1st. No replacement cert would be issued.
That is a certainty.

What is not certain or actually UNKNOWN is, just how many points would be refunded. Many here have the wishful thinking / argument that Marriott would give them enough points to redeem for the same 7 nights - but what they conveniently forget is, the 7 night cert is a DISCOUNTED certificate as a component of the Travel Package, which due to the very nature of the airline miles once transferred, cannot be reversed, the hotel component of TP is deeply discounted.
Therefore it is pretty certain to me that if we dont have a cert attached to a reservation, said cert will be refunded with much less points needed to make a new 7 nights stay.

We also dont know if one cancel a hotel award stay thus free up the 7 night cert - how this cert would become?
OK Happy thank you for the response. What I am saying is that what you state in this post is not what is going to happen. The proof of that is one, it was originally stated that the one night certs would be converted to points and has since been clarified that it will be a replacement point-based cert and NO points being refunded. It will be clarified in the future that the TP certs will be replaced with point-based certs. Not a refund of points. Second if for an example someone has a Cat 1-5 cert attached to a 7 night reservation for May 2019 and after the change over this August they want to change it to June 2019 they just convert it to a point-based cert that may require more points for the same hotel if its point cost is higher. To your last question to a current Cat 1-5 cert with a current maximum value of 150,000 points it wil convert to an "equivalent point" value of guess what? 150,000 points to be used with the new reward chart. Lastly you mention Aug 1 but Marriott has only committed to August not necessarily the 1st. in the same way the new chart is coming out in June and I believe its still not been released.

Last edited by HHonors OUTSIDER; Jun 24, 2018 at 5:16 pm
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
OK Happy thank you for the response. What I am saying is that what you state in this post is not what is going to happen. The proof of that is one, it was originally stated that the one night certs would be converted to points and has since been clarified that it will be a replacement point-based cert and NO points being refunded. It will be clarified in the future that the TP certs will be replaced with point-based certs. Not a refund of points. Second if for an example someone has a Cat 1-5 cert attached to a 7 night reservation for May 2019 and after the change over this August they want to change it to June 2019 they just convert it to a point-based cert that may require more points for the same hotel if its point cost is higher. To your last question to a current Cat 1-5 cert with a current maximum value of 150,000 points it wil convert to an "equivalent point" value of guess what? 150,000 points to be used with the new reward chart. Lastly you mention Aug 1 but Marriott has only committed to August not necessarily the 1st. in the same way the new chart is coming out in June and I believe its still not been released.
Do you have a source for your conclusion? I just read the official wiki in the SPG thread on flyertalk and the answer hasn't been changed:
10. Question on the "floater certificates" being canceled and points redeposited into the account on Aug 1st. Does this include outstanding Marriott Travel packages here: Flight and Hotel Packages Marriott Hotel Packages
Floater certificates, including outstanding Marriott Travel Package certificates, will be cancelled and converted to equivalent points, credited to the member’s account for future redemption. <added clarity by Starwood Lurker 21Jun18>
So unless you have seen something to the contrary, the certificate will be converted into points at an unspecified rate as per this Q&A:
43. I'm afraid this may have gotten lost above. Regarding "Marriott Travel Packages being cancelled and converted to equivalent points, credited to the member's account for future redemption”; Can you clarify how the equivalent points will be calculated?
No, I cannot. All I can say at this time is there will be more details to come on this soon. <added by Starwood Lurker 05Jun18>
RafKa likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by glasszon
Do you have a source for your conclusion? I just read the official wiki in the SPG thread on flyertalk and the answer hasn't been changed:
10. Question on the "floater certificates" being canceled and points redeposited into the account on Aug 1st. Does this include outstanding Marriott Travel packages here: Flight and Hotel Packages Marriott Hotel Packages

So unless you have seen something to the contrary, the certificate will be converted into points at an unspecified rate as per this Q&A:
43. I'm afraid this may have gotten lost above. Regarding "Marriott Travel Packages being cancelled and converted to equivalent points, credited to the member's account for future redemption”; Can you clarify how the equivalent points will be calculated?
"will be cancelled and converted to equivalent points" can be interpreted two different ways:

"will be cancelled and converted to equivalent (amount of) points" - Most commonly how SPG Lurker's comment is interpreted

"will be cancelled and converted to (a certificate of) equivalent points" - This interpretation agrees with how other certificates are being handled and doesn't conflict with anything Marriott has officially released on its website

Refunding points, unless it's the full amount required to book an equivalent room for 7 nights, just doesn't make sense because this could cause significant issues for Marriott if you can't use your certificate to book an equivalent award to before (both from a PR and potential legal perspective). It's clear that cancelling an award that can get you 7 nights at a Category 5 hotel and replacing it with points that could then only be used to book 2 nights at the some hotels is not any type of equivalent exchange. So I think to believe that Marriott will be returning actual points we also have to believe that they will be returning points that would make someone whole in the sense that they could book the same type of hotel for the same number of nights (ignoring category changes). Which is fine by me, I'd rather have points of that value since it gives flexibility. However, this just doesn't seem like the most likely scenario given all of the info we have both from the Marriott official FAQ on their website + SPG Lurker's comments + the fact that Marriott will be continuing the travel packages in some fashion.
lexdevil likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Chances are likely that Marriott (my guesses) will give the following hence they are not announcing anything before 8/1:

7n
Cat 1-5 certificate > certificate up to 35k points per night
Cat 6 > certificate up to 50k points per night
Cat 7 > certificate up to 60k points per night
Cat 8 > certificate up to 80k points per night
Cat 9, Tier 1-5 > certificate up to 100k points per night

A direct category conversion will yield no ambiguities and you must still book the cert for up to 7 nights (just the same hotel may be in a different cat now).

They just need to take away cert extensions so you must use them within 1 year of issuance. Unused cert will expire with no value, then everything will clear up after 1 year.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Chances are likely that Marriott (my guesses) will give the following hence they are not announcing anything before 8/1:

7n
Cat 7 > certificate up to 60k points per night
Cat 8 > certificate up to 80k points per night
Cat 9, Tier 1-5 > certificate up to 100k points per night

A direct category conversion will yield no ambiguities and you must still book the cert for up to 7 nights (just the same hotel may be in a different cat now).

They just need to take away cert extensions so you must use them within 1 year of issuance. Unused cert will expire with no value, then everything will clear up after 1 year.
I can't imagine your scenario being accurate... A cat 1-5 is worth 25K a night right now... why a 10k bump? Same with the other levels you list. Why would cat 9 be with tier 1-5? This would be great but I would be astounded at their generosity if it came true.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
7n
I'll be extremely happy with this. Don't think it's possible though.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I think Marriott would have much trouble on their hands if they took certa away and did not replace them with points equal to the stay value of the original certificate . Doesn't matter what the new values are but my 7 night category 9 certificate is worth 270k points if i needed to reserve a similar stay. Anything less is unacceptable to me .
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I think Marriott would have much trouble on their hands if they took certa away and did not replace them with points equal to the stay value of the original certificate . Doesn't matter what the new values are but my 7 night category 9 certificate is worth 270k points if i needed to reserve a similar stay. Anything less is unacceptable to me .
And what do you plan to do? Sue Marriott to get what is acceptable to you?

Every such program has an escape clause that the program administrator can change the program rules at any time without advance notice. Plenty of companies have done exactly just that.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:11 pm

Every such program has an escape clause that the program administrator can change the program rules at any time without advance notice. Plenty of companies have done exactly just that.
Legal action is a pretty big leap from being unsatisfied. I'll likely use any points I have left and then leave Marriott if suddenly my 28 days at a cat 5 are converted to 180,000 points August 1st. That would be unacceptable to me and I'd take my business elsewhere moving forward. Doesn't mean it won't happen and doesn't even mean it's the wrong business move for Marriott, but it would still be unacceptable. I really can't believe I'm the only one who would at least consider this. The travellers who have enough points to even buy 1 travel package likely spend a fair bit on hotels per year and it would seem strange to me to alienate those customers with something like that, but we'll see in a month or so.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by seankearns
Legal action is a pretty big leap from being unsatisfied. I'll likely use any points I have left and then leave Marriott if suddenly my 28 days at a cat 5 are converted to 180,000 points August 1st. That would be unacceptable to me and I'd take my business elsewhere moving forward. Doesn't mean it won't happen and doesn't even mean it's the wrong business move for Marriott, but it would still be unacceptable. I really can't believe I'm the only one who would at least consider this. The travellers who have enough points to even buy 1 travel package likely spend a fair bit on hotels per year and it would seem strange to me to alienate those customers with something like that, but we'll see in a month or so.
Lets say a non-FTer books a travel package in late July for a genuine vacation. Gets cert deposited into the account and waits a few days for the miles to post. Once the miles post in early August, he/she books their fight, then once that is confirmed calls MR a few days later and says "Ok, I am ready to book the 7 night hotel". Are you telling me that MR will tell that person that the 7 night cert they just got 10 days ago is now not even worth 2 nights?? You gotta be kidding me. THAT will definitely not happen. If anything, there will have to be some warning i.e. we are forcefully converting your cert into xx points. You have until xx/xx date to apply to an existing reservation, etc.
lexdevil and potm like this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

1) I can vote with my wallet. And I spend a lot with Marriott-and I won't be the only one.

2) IANAL, but an escape clause here would be more complicated for Marriott as I have an instrument promising a specific stay for a specific length of time at a specific category-that will be changing. They will have a tough sell negating those certs for less value than agreed to at the time of the transaction. Most escape clauses are about future transactions-not past. I agreed to give them a certain number of points in exchange for two things: FF miles and a stay at a hotel. They simply cannot retract part of that.

3) I bet there will be a class action suit if they don't honor the stays.
lexdevil likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Lets say a non-FTer books a travel package in late July for a genuine vacation. Gets cert deposited into the account and waits a few days for the miles to post. Once the miles post in early August, he/she books their fight, then once that is confirmed calls MR a few days later and says "Ok, I am ready to book the 7 night hotel". Are you telling me that MR will tell that person that the 7 night cert they just got 10 days ago is now not even worth 2 nights?? You gotta be kidding me. THAT will definitely not happen. If anything, there will have to be some warning i.e. we are forcefully converting your cert into xx points. You have until xx/xx date to apply to an existing reservation, etc.

Excellent point.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
1) I can vote with my wallet. And I spend a lot with Marriott-and I won't be the only one.

2) IANAL, but an escape clause here would be more complicated for Marriott as I have an instrument promising a specific stay for a specific length of time at a specific category-that will be changing. They will have a tough sell negating those certs for less value than agreed to at the time of the transaction. Most escape clauses are about future transactions-not past. I agreed to give them a certain number of points in exchange for two things: FF miles and a stay at a hotel. They simply cannot retract part of that.

3) I bet there will be a class action suit if they don't honor the stays.
I look forward to that as I am among those who actually WANT to use my certs for hotel stays but I dont want to randomly attach them to some hotels at some places I have no idea when I would go.

Would you be the lead plaintiff to start one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.