Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by WKnight
Did you use it at least once in Canada at merchant with a chip/PIN reader?

When I opened my Chase Visa card it had just arrived prior to my travel. I did activate it, but I never used it until I was in Europe. They are more strict with chip PIN policies there, so my transactions were declined every time.

A Chase rep informed me that I needed to use it at least once while in Canada, otherwise the PIN would not be validated for the card and could not be used outside Canada. When I returned to Canada, I inserted it in a reader, keyed in my PIN and then signed for the purchase. It worked thereafter, in and outside of Canada.
I did try to use my card the first just before leaving Canada to buy a bottle at duty free - invalid PIN or similar. I was expecting the transaction to go through and I would sign for the purchase. I'll try again, but to put it bluntly, the Chase Visa card is taking space in my wallet and I really have limited desire to use it.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:46 pm

Was told the first time you use the card, it would say invalid pin 2 times before accepting the pin the third time. Sounds ridiculous, but it really was the case. No problems with it afterwards, and I didn't really believe the rep given that I don't remember this happening the last time I had the car
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
CHASE has BRUTAL customer service. I've had many holds put in this card for fraud suspicion and it's always been difficult to deal with them. BUT the no foreign txn fee and my Marriott points are why I put up with it.
The Marriott Visa in Canada was private labelled by Scotiabank on behalf of JP Morgan Chase. Similar to President's Choice Financial being private labelled by CIBC.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
The Marriott Visa in Canada was private labelled by Scotiabank on behalf of JP Morgan Chase. Similar to President's Choice Financial being private labelled by CIBC.
When my Marriott Visa was compromised and was unknown to me. It was Scotiabank that called me, shut down the card. They sent a new card that arrived in less than a week. It was great customer service.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by crimsona
Was told the first time you use the card, it would say invalid pin 2 times before accepting the pin the third time. Sounds ridiculous, but it really was the case. No problems with it afterwards, and I didn't really believe the rep given that I don't remember this happening the last time I had the car
Thanks, that's correct. I called Marriott Visa to change PIN, the rep. indicated that I would get invalid PIN first two attempts at use. I find that embarrassing at merchants. I did not change PIN. Used card today for a small purchase at a self-serve checkout and voila, card worked.

Thanks to all for shedding light on this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Platinum
Hi everyone - I am just wondering, with this gone and presumably the Amazon visa also gone, what are people going to in order to a) earn Marriott points and b) not have to pay foreign transaction fees?

I can't believe marriott and amazon wouldn't have a plan for a new credit card - does anyone know anything?

I missed the recent welcome bonus upgrade for the spg card from Amex. Does anyone know, have they ever offered FYF? The $120 is a little pricey.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by eishv
Hi everyone - I am just wondering, with this gone and presumably the Amazon visa also gone, what are people going to in order to a) earn Marriott points and b) not have to pay foreign transaction fees?

I can't believe marriott and amazon wouldn't have a plan for a new credit card - does anyone know anything?

I missed the recent welcome bonus upgrade for the spg card from Amex. Does anyone know, have they ever offered FYF? The $120 is a little pricey.
The alternative is to earn points with the SPG card or Cobalt card from AMEX. The $120 fee for the SPG card are worth it in my opinion, as you get the equivalent of 60K Marriott Rewards points as a welcome bonus.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
The alternative is to earn points with the SPG card or Cobalt card from AMEX. The $120 fee for the SPG card are worth it in my opinion, as you get the equivalent of 60K Marriott Rewards points as a welcome bonus.
I second this. I've applied for an SPG Biz and self-referred to an SPG Personal. All of my points transferred to Marriott at x3 were enough to book a free week in Maui at the Wailea Marriott. Not bad for the measly annual fees on two cards!

I also applied for a Cobalt card, and this is what I am going to use going forward for my grocery/dining spends to earn Marriott points (and stop using my Marriott Visa on dining, for those that accept Amex).

As far as a no foreign txn fee card, it's a bit of a pickle at the moment, since there doesn't seem to be any no AF option for this. I'm clinging onto my Amazon and Marriott cards for dear life, until their untimely deaths are announced (probably in the spring, I'm hearing...).
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by pokee
As far as a no foreign txn fee card, it's a bit of a pickle at the moment, since there doesn't seem to be any no AF option for this. I'm clinging onto my Amazon and Marriott cards for dear life, until their untimely deaths are announced (probably in the spring, I'm hearing...).
So what happens then? If the card is cancelled, I presume we'll be getting prorated refunds on the AF?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus
So what happens then? If the card is cancelled, I presume we'll be getting prorated refunds on the AF?
I sure hope so! I pay my AF and get my room award in a week or so. If they cancel the card in March/April (I've read this timeframe as a rumored end-date), I would hope to get 2/3 of my AF refunded. BUT, maybe they won't if I have already received the room award? Hard to know! I'll be pushing for it! But, may be hard to push for it if they shut down their customer service lines!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:29 pm

Is the foreign exchange fee using the card not charged or have the rules changed.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan,Avios,Alaska
I called to put in a travel notification, and the automated phone system said my pin was deactivated. Just a friendly notice to check your card before leaving.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by initialy
I called to put in a travel notification, and the automated phone system said my pin was deactivated. Just a friendly notice to check your card before leaving.
If you've reset your PIN now, make sure you use it at least once at a merchant's chip/PIN device (I recommend Timmies or Shoppers), so that you ensure the new PIN is stored onto the card before you leave the country. You won't be able to set it if you're not in Canada (or USA), and may not be able to complete those purchases and/or cash advances.

Take note of crimsona's post above as well. You may get two "Invalid PIN" statuses, but then it should work on the third try.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
My card is also coming up for renewal. I'm still undecided whether to pay the AF to keep the card. I still have last year's cat-5 hotel voucher (just got it extended). I've redeemed several times but they were all not cat-5.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:37 pm

I signed up back when it was 1 cat 1-5 cert on first purchase and another on anniversary date.

I cancelled the day before anniversary. Was not charged AF but was provided second cat 1-5 cert. Redeemed both on the same stay!

Might be helpful to anyone close to anniversary and thinking about cancelling: wait until your anniversary cert posts to Marriott before cancelling. Mine was day before anniversary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.