Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by agjil
When does the annual free night cert post for this card?
The first annual fee for my card just posted (had the card for one year now) but I don't see the annual free night cert in my Marriott account.
Just wondering if this is normal...
The annual fee showed up on my statement and I waited until the due date and still no certificate. I did pay the annual fee. I did so as I had a cat. 5 hotel I wanted to book that would have cost well over $200 so reluctantly paid the annual fee. The certificate then showed up, I redeemed it and cancelled the card (so I could apply again in 6 months).
Interestingly, when I called to cancel the fellow noted that I had just renewed and hadn't used the card since so offered to refund the $120 annual fee. I don't think this is typical as I previously had to fight to cancel once the fee was posted.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller
The annual fee showed up on my statement and I waited until the due date and still no certificate. I did pay the annual fee. I did so as I had a cat. 5 hotel I wanted to book that would have cost well over $200 so reluctantly paid the annual fee. The certificate then showed up, I redeemed it and cancelled the card (so I could apply again in 6 months).
Interestingly, when I called to cancel the fellow noted that I had just renewed and hadn't used the card since so offered to refund the $120 annual fee. I don't think this is typical as I previously had to fight to cancel once the fee was posted.
I understand that most if not all cards give you at least 30 days after the fee is posted to cancel. Some provide 3 months for cancellation with fee waived.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I understand that most if not all cards give you at least 30 days after the fee is posted to cancel. Some provide 3 months for cancellation with fee waived.

This card isn't like most cards.

Once Chase renews the card, and charges the annual fee, they give instructions to Marriott to issue the certificate. Between Chase and Marriott, they don't have a clean way for Chase to just instruct Marriott to cancel the certificate.

So cancelling the card without penalty isn't something Chase has been prepared to do.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
This card isn't like most cards.

Once Chase renews the card, and charges the annual fee, they give instructions to Marriott to issue the certificate. Between Chase and Marriott, they don't have a clean way for Chase to just instruct Marriott to cancel the certificate.

So cancelling the card without penalty isn't something Chase has been prepared to do.
I did cancel the card after the fees were posted, and did it few times.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
My only experiences with grace periods for annual fee refunds is with Amex, BMO and Chase.

Amex is super generous, quoting 60 days many times by reps, with personal actual maximum of 45 days.

BMO rep quoted 60 days as well, but upon calling at 30 days to cancel the rep helping me with the refund told me I just squeezed it in on time, suggesting it was actually only 30 days.

Chase has been inconsistent for refunds, when calling just days after the AF posted. I haven't had problems to get the Marriott card's $120 back as a credit. While on rhe other hand my wife has had to really push for it. In general I've noticed that it's been difficult for most people, even while some people seem to have no problems.

Interesting. Which FIs have 90 day grace periods? Seems generously on the high side.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:46 pm

I've prepaid my Marriott Visa by a few thousand and was planning to use it like a debit card to get foreign currency in countries that are more cash based (Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia etc). The Terms & Conditions say Chase charges a 1% fee for cash advances but I was speaking with a rep by phone who said it was $5 per transaction.

Does anyone have recent experience using the Marriott Visa for foreign currency cash advances?

Edit to add:
Ah, I found the answer elsewhere. It's the greater of 1% or $5.

Last edited by NotJustDreaming; Jul 31, 2017 at 12:55 am
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming
I've prepaid my Marriott Visa by a few thousand and was planning to use it like a debit card to get foreign currency in countries that are more cash based (Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia etc). The Terms & Conditions say Chase charges a 1% fee for cash advances but I was speaking with a rep by phone who said it was $5 per transaction.

Does anyone have recent experience using the Marriott Visa for foreign currency cash advances?

Edit to add:
NJD, you've already found your answer, 1% or $5 minimum.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:37 pm

Edit to add:
Good to know - presumably this means I could get a better rate on my US Cash withdrawals by doing this if I was planning to withdraw more than $200 cash?

And excuse this silly question, but since I haven't taken a cash advance on a credit card in, oh, about 20 years, how does one go about that nowadays? Just pop it into any interac ATM in the US? If this is the case, then wouldn't we also be charged an interac fee?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
Good to know - presumably this means I could get a better rate on my US Cash withdrawals by doing this if I was planning to withdraw more than $200 cash?

And excuse this silly question, but since I haven't taken a cash advance on a credit card in, oh, about 20 years, how does one go about that nowadays? Just pop it into any interac ATM in the US? If this is the case, then wouldn't we also be charged an interac fee?
In my mind, an over $500 Cdn withdrawal is the 'sweet spot' (if you can call it that) for the Chase Marriott - because at that point you are truly just paying the 1% cash advance fee (other fees aside). Anything under $500 Cdn incurs the $5 fee. In that case, you'd have to do your own math.

Your $200 withdraw is the break even to compete with non no-forex fee cards that generally charge the 2.5% additional spread.

I'll be the guinea pig here WRT ATM transaction fees. I read that Visa uses the 'Plus' global exchange network. Partners in the global exchange do not incur additional ATM transaction fees. But I also read a list of qualifying financial institutions and Chase was not on it. Nor JP Morgan. Nor anything Marriott. Further, I read that one should check the back of the credit card in question for logos of the global exchange the card qualifies for. The Marriott Visa has no symbols/logos that I can see. Though I did not get out a magnifying glass.

That said, my good friend here on FT has advised me that when he's used his card at foreign ATMs bearing a Visa logo, he has not incurred additional ATM fees. So I'm quite hopeful that if I limit my transactions to the list of ATMs on the 'Plus' network, I'll be using the best strategy available to Canadians given the financial products we have available to us.

Hopefully...

I'm sure it will be self correcting. We're travelling for a year so I'll be sure to report back what worked for us.

Here's the Visa Plus ATM locator http://www.visa.com/atmlocator/index.jsp#(page:home).

Oh, and I've never made a cash advance withdrawal but I read it's just like an ATM debit withdrawal. Be sure to prepay your credit card though.

I have a TDCanada Trust all inclusive account. I've read this is the better option for smaller cash withdrawals. But I've not really come across a good resource with examples.

If anyone has further info, I'd very much appreciate it.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Why don't you open a free account with Tangerine and use their debit card to withdraw cash at Bank of America free of charge ?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Why don't you open a free account with Tangerine and use their debit card to withdraw cash at Bank of America free of charge ?
We leave on Saturday. It's likely too late for that now.
Though I thought there would be a 2.5% ish profit spread for using debit?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
We leave on Saturday. It's likely too late for that now.
Though I thought there would be a 2.5% ish profit spread for using debit?
As long as you use the global ATM alliance (which means Bank of America in the US) they should be no transaction or FX fees at all...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
As long as you use the global ATM alliance (which means Bank of America in the US) they should be no transaction or FX fees at all...
There are alwasy FX fees with debit card ATM withdrawals using Tangerine but these fees are "hidden" in the exchange rate. Tangerine will convert your CAD to USD at an exchange rate that is about 2.5% less favourable than the official Mastercard/Cirrus/Interbank rate, and that is for an ATM withdrawal using the DEBIT card.

And this fx fee is hidden because it is not published, Tangerine just says that they set the exchange rate at their own discretion for debit card transactions.

The fee is published for credit card transactions because someone started a class action lawsuit and won against Canadian banks for hidden fx fees in credit card transaction, so banks published the fee in their credit card fee schedule, but not all of them did publish the fee for their banking/debit card fee schedule
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
My last application was February 2016; cancelled the card February 2017.
It's been 6 months; gonna try for this card again.

The wiki above talks about the
http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm
... which reverts to https://lp12.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1207059
... which goes nowhere.

What URL should I use?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
My last application was February 2016; cancelled the card February 2017.
It's been 6 months; gonna try for this card again.

The wiki above talks about the
http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm
... which reverts to https://lp12.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1207059
... which goes nowhere.

What URL should I use?
I've just tried it, and the error I get is:
Code:
NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID
Subject: lps.marriottpremier.ca
Issuer: Symantec Class 3 Secure Server CA - G4
Expires on: 17 Aug 2017
Current date: 24 Aug 2017
PEM encoded chain:
Looks like the certificate for this page has expired. Perhaps a sign that Chase/Marriott did not have intentions for this promo to continue past Aug?

Try this. Drop the 's' from the "https" for the URL that goes to lp12.marriottpremier.ca, and make it simply "http". Like this:
http://lp12.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1207059

Now visit the page and it redirects to this:
https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059

Looks like the 50,000/FYF offer page we've seen in the past.
And if you click on the "APPLY NOW" button, it goes here:
https://ccsic.fni-stl.com/cgi-bin/ma...URCE_CODE=X2FF

Below the T&C, click on the "Continue to Application" button.
The application page looks like the Canadian one, with the options for English / Francais at the top.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Aug 24, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.