Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
IME, the night credits post quite quickly - maybe 1/2 weeks after the CC application was accepted. That said, with rollover nights, you might be better getting them this year, as they would simply rollover to next year, then you would get another night credit on your CC anniversary date. To put in practical terms: say you're at 77 nights this year - 15 bonus nights would put your at 92 nights, 17 of which would rollover. You would then have your bonus nights post next November, meaning that would give you a total of 32 nights for next year without any stays.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:21 am

I applied, was approved on line and awaiting the card. Will the package have my Marriott number included or do I call Marriott for it?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Twickenham
IME, the night credits post quite quickly - maybe 1/2 weeks after the CC application was accepted. That said, with rollover nights, you might be better getting them this year, as they would simply rollover to next year, then you would get another night credit on your CC anniversary date. To put in practical terms: say you're at 77 nights this year - 15 bonus nights would put your at 92 nights, 17 of which would rollover. You would then have your bonus nights post next November, meaning that would give you a total of 32 nights for next year without any stays.
Thanks for the info, and good suggestion on the rollover nights. I'm below 50 nights, so won't have any rollover nights even with the bonus 15, so getting 15 nights in 2015 really won't do anything for me. If they typically post quicker than published, sounds like I'm best off waiting until later in December or January to apply to get the nights posted in early 2016.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by gcashin
Thanks for the info, and good suggestion on the rollover nights. I'm below 50 nights, so won't have any rollover nights even with the bonus 15, so getting 15 nights in 2015 really won't do anything for me. If they typically post quicker than published, sounds like I'm best off waiting until later in December or January to apply to get the nights posted in early 2016.
You get rollover nights over the elite level achieved. Thus, if you have 30 nights, you will be Silver Elite which requires 10 nights, and 20 nights will rollover.

Bottom line: unless those 15 nights get you to exactly the nights required for an elite level, they will rollover.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:55 pm

You get rollover nights over the elite level achieved. Thus, if you have 30 nights, you will be Silver Elite which requires 10 nights, and 20 nights will rollover.

Bottom line: unless those 15 nights get you to exactly the nights required for an elite level, they will rollover.
Furthermore, if you apply now, you would receive the 15 nights in a few days, and be eligible for another 15 points before the end of next year, so with the carry over, that could greatly assist in reaching gold...
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:00 am

True for most cases, except if someone is dropping down a status level, or reaching a status level via a promotion rather than the regular number of nights.

Last year I dropped down from Gold to Silver as I only had ~34 nights. I got Silver status, but the extra 24 nights above the Silver requirement didn't count as rollover night as I'd dropped a status level, so the rollover nights only count if you're maintaining or increasing your status level.

This year, I stayed at Starwood properties most of the earlier part of the year, but was offered a status challenge this Fall to earn back Gold status at a lower number of nights. So I'll get Gold status, but won't be over the 50 nights, even with the 15 credit card nights.

So in my case, which is a bit unusual, the 15 nights wouldn't roll over, and wouldn't help me this year.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:49 am

I wonder if this card is going to change soon in light of Marriott's takeover of Starwood? Should be interesting to see what happens in the upcoming months...
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:53 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pokee
I wonder if this card is going to change soon in light of Marriott's takeover of Starwood? Should be interesting to see what happens in the upcoming months...
Soon as in 1-3 years? Or Soon as in 1-4 months? If the later, then no, nothing will change. Why speculate when the deal hasn't even closed? It's the SPG Amex that would probably be more at risk of changes in the future, if the deal goes through.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Absolute
Soon as in 1-3 years? Or Soon as in 1-4 months? If the later, then no, nothing will change. Why speculate when the deal hasn't even closed? It's the SPG Amex that would probably be more at risk of changes in the future, if the deal goes through.
Hmmm...I'm not convinced. I think in light of Scotiabank buying out Chase last month, this news is a double whammy against the stability of the card. But you never know...maybe Scotiabank will keep it around and this news is good for a potential deal with Marriott.

Whatever ends up happening, I think you're right that the SPG Amex will be changing...maybe even kiboshed - which would be sad...
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Scotiabank buying out Chase last month
Is Chase Canada gone? It's all Scotiabank now?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Sorta...this post explains it the best, I think, with a few interesting comments...

http://canadiankilometers.boardingar...dit-portfolio/
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Sorta...this post explains it the best, I think, with a few interesting comments...

http://canadiankilometers.boardingar...dit-portfolio/
Interesting. Chase Canada was completely useless IMO, so this could be an upgrade if they keep the card.

Spouse had this card and every time we tried to use for a foreign currency transaction, even at a Marriott hotel, it automatically blocked the card, even if we notified them that we were traveling. The benefit of no FX fees was nice in principle, but their fraud detection practices were absolutely useless.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:58 pm

Interesting. Chase Canada was completely useless IMO, so this could be an upgrade if they keep the card.

Spouse had this card and every time we tried to use for a foreign currency transaction, even at a Marriott hotel, it automatically blocked the card, even if we notified them that we were traveling. The benefit of no FX fees was nice in principle, but their fraud detection practices were absolutely useless.
Agreed - and I'll add to that: I've had them block my card when I shopped at stores that they considered 'high risk' for fraud - like GameStop. That was really stupid. Plus, I called them up once to dispute a charge that was just a duplicate done in error (reputable company, but I couldn't reach the company to get it investigated and reversed) and they wanted to transfer me to the fraud dept. and cancel my card and issue me a new one. I'm like: "ummm....this isn't fraud. it's just a mistake by a reputable company that needs to be resolved and I can't reach them". Then the guy in the credit dept. gets into a shouting match with me because he's like, "that's how it works here". Great customer service! Buh-bye! ^
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:24 pm

Agreed - and I'll add to that: I've had them block my card when I shopped at stores that they considered 'high risk' for fraud - like GameStop. That was really stupid. Plus, I called them up once to dispute a charge that was just a duplicate done in error (reputable company, but I couldn't reach the company to get it investigated and reversed) and they wanted to transfer me to the fraud dept. and cancel my card and issue me a new one. I'm like: "ummm....this isn't fraud. it's just a mistake by a reputable company that needs to be resolved and I can't reach them". Then the guy in the credit dept. gets into a shouting match with me because he's like, "that's how it works here". Great customer service! Buh-bye! ^
Yes, they were completely useless. Tried to use the card in Peru recently at the JW Marriott, after phoning them in advance to advise of travel plans to Peru. Card was declined at the JW Marriott on check-in. Called that night to have it unblocked. Tried to use the card again on check-out and it was declined and blocked AGAIN, despite having called in advance of the trip, called during the trip, and we were trying to use it for a fairly small charge at a JW Marriott. The bonus points offer is nice, but Chase Canada is absolutely useless.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:08 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Yes, they were completely useless. Tried to use the card in Peru recently at the JW Marriott, after phoning them in advance to advise of travel plans to Peru.
Hah! Similar issue, but in the US. I called in for my next trip and asked if they could also note my next few upcoming trips, and was told they couldn't. Apparently their system can only note a single trip.

That surprised me, especially for a card matched to both a hotel, and that pushes their "No FX Fee" policy. You can't even note your travel plans using the online interface.

I'd love for some improvements to their system!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.