Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:38 am

Thanks all, I applied yesterday...see what happens! And, yes (Mr Fink). I used the above link and did see the offer for the 50,000 bonus points on the initial page. But, once you click "apply now", theres no mention of any number of points on the actual application. Great idea with screen shots!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:28 am

My churn rate with this card is around 9 months from the date cancelled. Does anyone else have any other data points?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by tcnc1
Thanks all, I applied yesterday...see what happens! And, yes (Mr Fink). I used the above link and did see the offer for the 50,000 bonus points on the initial page. But, once you click "apply now", theres no mention of any number of points on the actual application. Great idea with screen shots!
Actually, most of new credit card application pages are like that, where you don't actually see the welcome offers once you are on the personal info gathering stage. But this card in particular has always been somewhat 'hidden/mysterious'. That's why with the first link in the wiki (http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm), it's comforting to actually be able to see the 50,000 point offer. Prior to this, for the past couple of years, those of use who would share the 50K signup links, would get them as email invitations. The emails showed the 50K offer, but we could only post the link to the application page (after clicking "Apply now" in the email), so you had to believe/trust the source of those links, were for 50K.

Anyway, I screen dump every card application I ever do...and also the original weblink that was used to launch the application page, in case it has embedded codes that you can share with a rep, in case the welcome bennies don't come through. It's just...prudent, to do so. Suggest you to do this if/when you get serious with card churning.

JJJ, the PrintScrn'er
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:37 am

just saw this message on my Chase account online, not sure if it was there before
but I guess it's an official TIP now also

TRAVELLING TO THE U.S.? Paying at the Pump is easier than ever with your Marriott Rewards Visa Card When using your Marriott Rewards Visa Card to pay at the pump in the U.S. you may be prompted for a 5-digit zip code. Simply use the three numbers from your postal code and add two zeros. If your postal code is L1M 2N3 the 5-digit number you enter is: 12300. Available at participating U.S. fuel merchants.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:39 am

I did try exactly that a year or two ago in Oregon with my Marriott Visa, and thought I just got lucky.

Nice to see it official
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
That was 3 years ago, I really don't remember. Chase online only goes back 12 months (July 2014 as of right now)

08/11/2014 08/11/2014 ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEE $120.00
And when do you get the annual e-certificate posted in this case?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by jerryhung
just saw this message on my Chase account online, not sure if it was there before
Finally! I hated having to go inside and use cash since i didn't trust leaving my card with the employee...
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
And when do you get the annual e-certificate posted in this case?
I don't remember when I got it exactly, but my last certificate had a Feb 28 expiry, so if they count 6 calendar months that'd means I received it Aug 28, or if 180 days it'd be Sep 1.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
I don't remember when I got it exactly, but my last certificate had a Feb 28 expiry, so if they count 6 calendar months that'd means I received it Aug 28, or if 180 days it'd be Sep 1.
after the annual fee was charge then....
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Maybe a silly question, but are the e-certificates transferable? E.g. does the card owner/me have to be the person staying in the hotel or could I book it for someone else?

EDIT: Also, right after you sign up for marriot rewards, it actually TELLS YOU the link to the 50k offer. Right in your account. So it's definitely still active:

Last edited by Smiley90; Jul 3, 2015 at 5:02 pm
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Smiley90
EDIT: Also, right after you sign up for marriot rewards, it actually TELLS YOU the link to the 50k offer. Right in your account. So it's definitely still active:

I haven't checked recently, but that offer is probably for the US version. It's been mentioned many times in the past. Look at the terms...it will probably mentioned $500 or $1000 spending requirement, versus the Canadian version is $1 (first purchase). Look for the Canadian link, and it will show you the 30,000 offer.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
The unofficial part of the tip is that you can also use that zip code as your billing address when ordering online in the US. Just find the corresponding city and state on USPS.com (You might have to use 12301 or 12302 to find a working zip code) and put a fake address in the address line.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by emilio911
The unofficial part of the tip is that you can also use that zip code as your billing address when ordering online in the US. Just find the corresponding city and state on USPS.com (You might have to use 12301 or 12302 to find a working zip code) and put a fake address in the address line.
You mean find a random ZIP code and its City, State?
or you mean use our postal code + 00, then find its City, State?

What to put for shipping address? US friend? assuming they don't ship to Canada

anyway, not an applicable situation for me but just curious
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: CX, AF, UA
50K signup bonus points are 6-8 weeks (from T&C) but in real life, how long do people wait before they post?

For withdrawing cash, support email confirmed they use the transaction date, on the day.
So, your balance is 0 on date X, you send them 500 on date X, the 500 post on day X+3.
- on day X+2 you spend 100 in store, no interest
- on day X+5 you withdraw 300 in cash, no interest
- on day X+6 you spend 100 in store, no interest
- on day X+10 you withdraw 100 in cash, interest due on 100 until 100 paid (plus interest & fees)
- on day X+11 you spend 300 in store, interest due on 400 until 400 paid (plus interest & fees)
key is to never withdraw when there is not a positive balance on the card covering the full amount of your withdrawal
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:06 am
alc

Originally Posted by winebug
50K signup bonus points are 6-8 weeks (from T&C) but in real life, how long do people wait before they post?
You get the sign-up bonus on the very first statement of your first transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.