Wiki Posts
Search

Open Door Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Open Door Policy

A personal first after 1000+ Marriott nights and probably another 1000+ elsewhere.

I was staying at the Icon in Houston, one of my favourite business Marriott properties this week, and when I arrived back last night, my card key would not work.

Surprisingly, there were no lights at all on the lock - normally when your key doesn't work, a red or orange light shows.

I tried my second key card - same result, then, just before heading down to get the card recut, pushed the handle and the door opened! A few minutes further playing showed that the door was completely unlocked and there was no need for any key of any sort to get in.

I called the front desk and explained what the issue was. The first response was to send someone up with a new key. Next came a maintenance man who confirmed that the door lock wasn't working, told me that he couldn't fix it and suggested I lock the door from the inside.

He then asked what time I'd be up in the morningt (7 a.m.) and said he'd have someone up to the room at that time so I could get breakfast.

I was actually on a call 7 - 8 and when that finished, I gathered my things together and went to check out. It seemed to come as a total surprise to the front desk that there was any issue with the room at all.

So I'm now doubly cheesed off with the hotel. Firstly because it happened in the first place and my belongings were available to anyone who wanted for an unknown period of time, and secondly with the totally underwhelming way they responded to what, to me at least, was a serious issue.

I will speak with them again more formally and let you know what the outcome was.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by thegoderic
A personal first after 1000+ Marriott nights and probably another 1000+ elsewhere.

I was staying at the Icon in Houston, one of my favourite business Marriott properties this week, and when I arrived back last night, my card key would not work.

Surprisingly, there were no lights at all on the lock - normally when your key doesn't work, a red or orange light shows.

I tried my second key card - same result, then, just before heading down to get the card recut, pushed the handle and the door opened! A few minutes further playing showed that the door was completely unlocked and there was no need for any key of any sort to get in.

I called the front desk and explained what the issue was. The first response was to send someone up with a new key. Next came a maintenance man who confirmed that the door lock wasn't working, told me that he couldn't fix it and suggested I lock the door from the inside.

He then asked what time I'd be up in the morningt (7 a.m.) and said he'd have someone up to the room at that time so I could get breakfast.

I was actually on a call 7 - 8 and when that finished, I gathered my things together and went to check out. It seemed to come as a total surprise to the front desk that there was any issue with the room at all.

So I'm now doubly cheesed off with the hotel. Firstly because it happened in the first place and my belongings were available to anyone who wanted for an unknown period of time, and secondly with the totally underwhelming way they responded to what, to me at least, was a serious issue.

I will speak with them again more formally and let you know what the outcome was.
In my brief time on this forum, I have noticed that there are FTers with ALL kinds of personal ethos. Therefore, I would almost guarantee you will get some people that say "No Harm, No Foul" and that you shouldn't make a big deal of it because nothing was taken, etc. However, I completely agree with you that this is a serious issue, and just because nothing happened doesn't mean that nothing COULD have happened. When considering the severity of the issue, you have to consider all circumstances under which this could have occurred. You could have been travelling with your wife, kids, etc. and would have been unable to rely on the lock to keep them safe. Not only could your valuables have been taken, but something far more nefarious could have potentially occurred. Therefore, I would definitely follow up with Management, as you have said. I don't know what kind of compensation you will get, but it is obviously worth bringing it to Management's attention so that they can (hopefully) discover what caused the lock to malfunction, and keep it from recurring. You may be able to press for some points, or a discount on a future stay as it seems you frequent this hotel often, but I doubt you will get any type of monetary compensation.

I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences and what their opinions are. Just be prepared for some idiot to tell you not to worry about it.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by rcross23
In my brief time on this forum, I have noticed that there are FTers with ALL kinds of personal ethos. Therefore, I would almost guarantee you will get some people that say "No Harm, No Foul" and that you shouldn't make a big deal of it because nothing was taken, etc. However, I completely agree with you that this is a serious issue, and just because nothing happened doesn't mean that nothing COULD have happened. When considering the severity of the issue, you have to consider all circumstances under which this could have occurred. You could have been travelling with your wife, kids, etc. and would have been unable to rely on the lock to keep them safe. Not only could your valuables have been taken, but something far more nefarious could have potentially occurred. Therefore, I would definitely follow up with Management, as you have said. I don't know what kind of compensation you will get, but it is obviously worth bringing it to Management's attention so that they can (hopefully) discover what caused the lock to malfunction, and keep it from recurring. You may be able to press for some points, or a discount on a future stay as it seems you frequent this hotel often, but I doubt you will get any type of monetary compensation.

I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences and what their opinions are. Just be prepared for some idiot to tell you not to worry about it.
My rule of thumb is whether the next guest would want whatever the situation was to happen to him. When there are issues, I always ask them NOT to give me the points. It's too easy for a complaint to be written off if the the manager can blame it on someone wanting points.

Thank you OP for naming the hotel. A hotel that is that blase with a security issue is a hotel I want to avoid.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by thegoderic
Thanks - please do!

Edited to add: Since it's an Autograph Collection, do you get brekkie M-F (presumably), but do you know if you do on the weekends? Do they do anything else for elites? Please advise & I'll update the exec lounge sticky since we don't have a report on this property.

Cheers.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
My rule of thumb is whether the next guest would want whatever the situation was to happen to him. When there are issues, I always ask them NOT to give me the points. It's too easy for a complaint to be written off the the manager can blame it on someone wanting points.

Thank you OP for naming the hotel. A hotel that is that blase with a security issue is a hotel I want to avoid.
That is a very good point, and one that I had not thought of. I don't know the internal politics of Marriott. What would be a better way to handle this so that the issue is given the attention it deserves? I would think that the highest you could go would be the GM, as that is who is ultimately responsible for all operations of that hotel. I don't think a matter like this would be addressed by anyone higher than the GM, but I could be wrong. When I mentioned getting some points as compensation, that is for the satisfaction of the OP. I also mentioned properly following up with Management. So long as the appropriate members of Management are made aware of the issue, I don't see any other options. The GM will not be pleased with the way the situation was handled, and I'm sure will follow up appropriately. That's about all you can do.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks - please do!

Edited to add: Since it's an Autograph Collection, do you get brekkie M-F (presumably), but do you know if you do on the weekends? Do they do anything else for elites? Please advise & I'll update the exec lounge sticky since we don't have a report on this property.

Cheers.
Sharon - I stayed at Icon as a Gold about two months ago on the weekend and received two vouchers for breakfast in their restaurant - Line & Lariat. I believe the vouchers were for $14.00 per person.

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I'll not accept the room if I know that anyone can get into my room. This is a very basic thing that has to work IMO. If it happens to me, I'll give them a chance to fix it and if they told me that they can't, I'll pack my bags and go down to FD and ask them to give me another room or walk me to another hotel.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
I'll not accept the room if I know that anyone can get into my room. This is a very basic thing that has to work IMO. If it happens to me, I'll give them a chance to fix it and if they told me that they can't, I'll pack my bags and go down to FD and ask them to give me another room or walk me to another hotel.
Well yes, that much is obvious. The issue here is that the OP had already been staying at the hotel for a number of days and discovered the issue on the last night of his stay. The discussion is about any post-stay compensation and how to best bring attention to the issue.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Well yes, that much is obvious. The issue here is that the OP had already been staying at the hotel for a number of days and discovered the issue on the last night of his stay. The discussion is about any post-stay compensation and how to best bring attention to the issue.
Sorry I missed that part. However I'll not stay in ANY room that doesn't have a working door lock - it doesn't matter even though it's my last night. So they will have to change room or walk me to another hotel at their expense.

This is what I would do, I'll contact Marriott Customer Care about the issue via the online form. Then they will contact you via email that the hotel will get back to you, the hotel will then get back to you to explain whatever they need to explain.

I like to use this method because I'd like the corporate to know if someone is doing an extraordinary job or someone is not doing their job right.

Last edited by nacho; Jul 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm Reason: Typo: it should be marriott customer care not marriott rewards
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
Sorry I missed that part. However I'll not stay in ANY room that doesn't have a working door lock - it doesn't matter even though it's my last night. So they will have to change room or walk me to another hotel at their expense.

This is what I would do, I'll contact Marriott Rewards about the issue via the online form. Then they will contact you via email that the hotel will get back to you, the hotel will then get back to you to explain whatever they need to explain.

I like to use this method because I'd like the corporate to know if someone is doing an extraordinary job or someone is not doing their job right.
I agree, I wouldn't want to stay anywhere without a working door lock. Luckily the OP was still able to lock the door from the inside using the dead bolt, and that might be enough for me if it was my last night in the hotel.

But that is a good idea to contact Marriott Rewards. Depending on the OP's status, his complaint may carry some weight (hopefully).
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
IMO, contacting Customer Services would be a better route for this type of situation.............

......is a good idea to contact Marriott Rewards. Depending on the OP's status, his complaint may carry some weight (hopefully).
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Just be prepared for some idiot to tell you not to worry about it.
(bolding mine) Seriously?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by bitburgr
(bolding mine) Seriously?
(Underlining mine) Yes seriously. If someone feels that it isn't a big deal to have your room door lock not work, especially after considering the fact that your wife/daughter could have been in the room, then I would say they are an idiot.

Do you disagree?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think the door lock not working is very serious. In fact, if I had returned to the room and noticed that the door wasn't locked, I would have called security (or the local police) instead of entering the room. Someone could have been inside, either hiding or in the process of commiting robbery.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
(Underlining mine) Yes seriously. If someone feels that it isn't a big deal to have your room door lock not work, especially after considering the fact that your wife/daughter could have been in the room, then I would say they are an idiot.

Do you disagree?
Oh! Think of the children!

Had my wife been in the room I would feel more for the intruder than her, especially once she shoved her curling iron in his eyesocket. It isn't like armed thugs are roaming the hallways of upscale boutique hotels looking for randomly unlocked doors. It would take a complete alignment of the stars for something bad to happen and you probably have more chance of having your airplane fall from the sky than some armed thief accost you.

This assumes no malfeasance on the part of the staff and that factor alone would motivate me to make sure the hotel knew. I could much more easily see "Hey Bob, leave the lock disabled on Room 3312 and I'll grab the guy's luggage before he comes back. LOL OMG"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.