Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:29 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by viracocha
I would think it's the end of February, as that's when status ends. So ideally earning it in March for the longest benefit.
Just repeating what I mentioned earlier. There's no reason to wait till February. if you do the challenge now your status will as well be valid through January 2019.

I don't know the exact periods but if you do a challenge somewhere in the first half of the year your status remains valid till the end of the year.
If you do the challenge in the second half of the year your status is valid for the remainder of the year and the next year.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
Just repeating what I mentioned earlier. There's no reason to wait till February. if you do the challenge now your status will as well be valid through January 2019.

I don't know the exact periods but if you do a challenge somewhere in the first half of the year your status remains valid till the end of the year.
If you do the challenge in the second half of the year your status is valid for the remainder of the year and the next year.
That's the point. I don't recall anyone mentioning the different status end dates for quite some time. OP should call MR to get a better answer. I suspect they have eliminated the difference. Therefore, completing the challenge in 2018 would be better than 2017.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:15 am

according this, better to call in Early Nov (not first day of Nov though) and finish the final stay in February 1st, then it should be Platinum till 02/2020

https://saverocity.com/thedealmommy/...num-challenge/

If a member achieves Platinum Elite status in February or March 2017, the new level would be valid for the remainder of the year it was achieved PLUS the next full calendar year. Elite levels achieved in the month of January are valid for the remainder of the year only.

Originally Posted by kcaluwae

Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:02 am

I know this has been answered up-thread, but it was a good few years ago and before the programme changes.

Do reward stays count towards a Plat challenge?

If no clear answer is forthcoming, I would be able to answer with 100% certainty in February
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:56 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by shadowline
I know this has been answered up-thread, but it was a good few years ago and before the programme changes.

Do reward stays count towards a Plat challenge?

If no clear answer is forthcoming, I would be able to answer with 100% certainty in February
Reward stays do not count. part point + part cash stays do not count either.
Only full paid stays count.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Perhaps this not the right thread but received an email "offer' from Mileage Plus. Spend 50K on the Chase card between now and end of the year and get 5000 miles. That's right! Did not drop a zero. Woman next to me at Uncle Charlie in EWR said she got similar offer but would get 7500 miles for 20K spend!!! This had me scratching my head as to where these marketing mavens made their bones. Incentivize the higher spenders by awarding them less??? Can anyone enlighten me?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by manstein58
Perhaps this not the right thread but received an email "offer' from Mileage Plus. Spend 50K on the Chase card between now and end of the year and get 5000 miles. That's right! Did not drop a zero. Woman next to me at Uncle Charlie in EWR said she got similar offer but would get 7500 miles for 20K spend!!! This had me scratching my head as to where these marketing mavens made their bones. Incentivize the higher spenders by awarding them less??? Can anyone enlighten me?
With promos like those, they push me into using my other cards with better deals.

Husband’s was spend $3,000 get 5,000
Mine is spend $3,000 get a whopping 2,500.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: A bunch
My wife has had a Ritz Carlton stay and a couple Marriott stays since early October. Can she request road to platinum choosing a retroactive date? Also do Ritz Carlton stays count for this?

Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:01 am

When I signed up for the platinum challenge, rep told me that only bookings made direct with Marriott (marriott.com, Marriott app) would count for the challenge.

I am forced to book through Amex Travel (Deem front-end on Amex GBT Corp Travel Agency).

Seems crazy that they wouldn't count stays booked via corporate travel agency, anyone had experience?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by nfg05
When I signed up for the platinum challenge, rep told me that only bookings made direct with Marriott (marriott.com, Marriott app) would count for the challenge.

I am forced to book through Amex Travel (Deem front-end on Amex GBT Corp Travel Agency).

Seems crazy that they wouldn't count stays booked via corporate travel agency, anyone had experience?
I do believe they will recognize corporate booking services as well. It's easier for the reps to remember just MR bookings and not the ever long list of exceptions.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by nfg05

Amex travel is accepted and eligible for all benefits with Marriot including for their status & challenge calculations.. Unless they have changed something in the T&C's quietly, this was the way it is.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by ecgz88
according this, better to call in Early Nov (not first day of Nov though) and finish the final stay in February 1st, then it should be Platinum till 02/2020

https://saverocity.com/thedealmommy/...num-challenge/

If a member achieves Platinum Elite status in February or March 2017, the new level would be valid for the remainder of the year it was achieved PLUS the next full calendar year. Elite levels achieved in the month of January are valid for the remainder of the year only.
So this is what I thought too and started by challenge which end in Feb, 28, 2018. Then I talked to another rep in chat and apparently this is NOT true! this is his exact quote:

"( 11m 44s ) Dan: You would need to begin and finish the challenge in 2018 in order to receive the status until February of 2020."

Due to conflicting information.., i had him changed my challenge date to 1/1/2018-4/30/2018, and i will complete my last stay in March 1st just to be 100% sure..
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone know if bookings made through Concur Travel qualify for the status challenge?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Quick question...

I presume the challenge process is automated after bring placed on it?

So, once the 6th stay rolls past for Gold, it will be an automated change to Gold? Or do I need to email and say "hello! I am done, please change me!"
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Should be automatic. As soon as the last stay posts.
BingBongBoy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.