Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:00 am

I asked the Marriott international member today if they could give me goodwill points for every single miss platinum arrival gift that wasn't posted. The lady said that Marriott International could not give me any goodwill points because it was the hotel's mistake. The lady said I should call the hotel directly and say "Marriott International said it was your mistake of not posting them and Marriott International said the property had to supply the goodwill points."

I called all 4 of the properties today and was given this amount of good will points from each.

Autograph and Marriott gave me 5,000 each for a total of 10,000
Fairfield 2,000
Courtyard- 3,000
Total of 15,000 points today.

Some people may say it's not worth the time to call and get points here and there but I just got 15,000 points for Marriott making a mistake!

I think they need to either get rid of the arrival gift. Or require to have both points and breakfast.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:33 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Marriott15
I called all 4 of the properties today and was given this amount of good will points from each.
Have you already received the points or did the hotel management just say they will deposit that amount? I ask as I've had similar situations (mostly at non-FS hotels) where they promise extra points, but those points never show up or I had to hound them ceaselessly for awhile to get them.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Have you already received the points or did the hotel management just say they will deposit that amount? I ask as I've had similar situations (mostly at non-FS hotels) where they promise extra points, but those points never show up or I had to hound them ceaselessly for awhile to get them.
All posted today! I wrote down every singles hotels front desk director! I asked for their number and name for this same reason you mentioned!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
but I just got 15,000 points for Marriott making a mistake!

I think they need to either get rid of the arrival gift. Or require to have both points and breakfast.
Let's be clear: Marriott most likely didn't make a mistake. Marriott manages less than 10% of its hotels in North America. Third-party management companies manage over 90% of North America hotels.

And you got your wish because from August 1 you have to choose between points and breakfast. So, you're losing 500 points per stay if you go with breakfast.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Let's be clear: Marriott most likely didn't make a mistake. Marriott manages less than 10% of its hotels in North America. Third-party management companies manage over 90% of North America hotels.

And you got your wish because from August 1 you have to choose between points and breakfast. So, you're losing 500 points per stay if you go with breakfast.
I agree it is on the individual hotels fault! What I was saying was that Marriott International would not give me goodwill points. The property has to give me goodwill points!

When it comes to goodwill points coming from a property are they allotted a unlimited amount to give to members or do they have to pay for every point they give out?

My company pays for my breakfast so I will always take the points no matter what!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
I was once offered a large amount of goodwill points vs a cash refund for a major hotel room problem. When I asked why the large amount of points, I was told they pay less for points and cutting a check is more work. I think the same thing goes in this situation— they pay for the points.

I agree it is on the individual hotels fault! What I was saying was that Marriott International would not give me goodwill points. The property has to give me goodwill points!

When it comes to goodwill points coming from a property are they allotted a unlimited amount to give to members or do they have to pay for every point they give out?

My company pays for my breakfast so I will always take the points no matter what!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
First time I've ever invoked the Platinum guarantee for the arrival gift at the Courtyard Marriott in Sunnyvale as I didn't have a great arrival experience. I contacted Customer Service during my stay to let them know I wasn't offered the welcome gift and heard back from one of the hotel managers offering me 5,000 points. I politely declined and asked for the $50 instead and never heard back from him while I was still there.

I was so busy at work and left incredibly early for checkout so I emailed him again and he said he'd mail the $50, which was over 2 weeks ago, and still nothing. Not sure why this has to be such a hassle, I don't abuse the system.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:54 pm

You would think they would have two boxes you can check on the room key holder that they have to check or sign! I guess people would probably duplicate those though!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
You would think they would have two boxes you can check on the room key holder that they have to check or sign! I guess people would probably duplicate those though!
There used to be a card to indicate your choice. I remember some posts complaining they were a waste of paper and shortly after the cards disappeared. No matter what you do, someone will take issue with it. Having a profile selection (like HH used to do) makes it clear to the property what you desire and no reason not to deliver (although they would mess up, like everywhere).
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
There used to be a card to indicate your choice. I remember some posts complaining they were a waste of paper and shortly after the cards disappeared. No matter what you do, someone will take issue with it. Having a profile selection (like HH used to do) makes it clear to the property what you desire and no reason not to deliver (although they would mess up, like everywhere).

Didn't know they used to have a card! They should of continued it! They would probably mess that up! Most hotels give you a room key holder! If they could just check the box and initial it would be a lot easier!
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Didn't know they used to have a card! They should of continued it! They would probably mess that up! Most hotels give you a room key holder! If they could just check the box and initial it would be a lot easier!
They did mess it up, hence it being discontinued. And what good would a key holder that they give you do to help the process? Even HH has issues with profile settings. Seems some properties took it upon themselves to make a permanent change to your profile when you asked for a temporary change (i.e. switching to points instead of breakfast when you have an early flight). Maybe if they added your request to your folio, at least you can confirm your choice was property captured at check out.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
IIRC, that was to check off your food then beverage choice from a short list of options which you then handed back to the FD agent. Not sure if the point option was there as I always took the F&B. Then they would ask you if you wanted now or sometime in the future. Honestly, it was 50-50 whether it ever would show up IME and after collecting cash for a few (my first was literally forced upon me by the FD at checkout),and they were nice to me, I simply reminded them to deliver or asked for the points a checkout.

I'm certain why this went away. Some properties would deliver pride-filled crafted fruit platters I could eat for days (San Jose Marriott, twice)
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
There used to be a card to indicate your choice.
​​​​I got one on arrival a couple days ago at the Marriott Puerto Vallarta. Seems like most overseas locations still use them. I know I've gotten one at the Osaka Marriott and pretty sure the Marriott Amsterdam did as well (but never actually delivered the arrival amenity and changed it to points on checkout).
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel

​​​​I got one on arrival a couple days ago at the Marriott Puerto Vallarta. Seems like most overseas locations still use them. I know I've gotten one at the Osaka Marriott and pretty sure the Marriott Amsterdam did as well (but never actually delivered the arrival amenity and changed it to points on checkout).
Why didn't you go for the cash? That helps drive the point home with many properties.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Why didn't you go for the cash? That helps drive the point home with many properties.
Under the soon to be previous lifetime scheme, points were more valuable to me than the cash (and what I would have selected except for my wife's choice). Today, I would ask for the cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.