Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:53 pm

If it is an award stay, would there be Platinum arrival gift?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:21 pm

Yes c
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by joshua362
Well thats the way its supposed to work. Where (US) are you getting a better deal then the $10 coupon? Would like to stay there.
Most don't, but you never know.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
500 points is less than $5. This is one place I'd love to see Marriott follow SPG, which gives a Plat amenity that's 3x Marriott's (500 SPG).

I take the points if traveling on business, the $10 F&B for personal travel.
I haven't stayed with SPG as. Platinum yet, but the way I read it is if I want breakfast, I have to choose that as a SPG pag. In that case, isn't Marriott's 500 point better? Maybe I am missing something.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I've had three SPG stays. At the Bangkok LM and Prague Sheraton I was given both breakfast and the 500 points. At the Bali Kuta Sheraton Resort, it was breakfast each morning in lieu of the 500 points.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I haven't stayed with SPG as. Platinum yet, but the way I read it is if I want breakfast, I have to choose that as a SPG pag. In that case, isn't Marriott's 500 point better? Maybe I am missing something.
You are correct: SPG Plat benefit is breakfast or​​​​​ points (with individual exceptions).

Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I'll take 500 SPG over 500 MR plus a crappy breakfast in an overcrowded lounge (or no breakfast at a resort or Edition) every day of the week
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'll take 500 SPG over 500 MR plus a crappy breakfast in an overcrowded lounge (or no breakfast at a resort or Edition) every day of the week
Depends on situation for me. If I am at JWM or autograph collection, I think breakfast (especially when traveling with family) can be lot more valuable then 500 star points.

More so in Asia what lot of properties provide full breakfast. I frequently travel to Asia for work so I guess it varies by region. In the U, 90% of my stays are at residence inns because of proximity to work. There is 0 expectations with RIs

​​​​
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:31 pm

No Arrival Gift Offered, Hotel is Clueless

Only the the second time a hotel failed to offer me an arrival gift. When I informed them the agent offered a token amenity. I said that's not the way it works, asked then to honor the Guarantee at which point they looked at me like I was an alien so I asked them to have the manager call me because no one else was on duty that late when we checked in. They didn't. I emailed Marriott Customer Service who hasn't responded other than to acknowledge my email so I left a voicemail for the GM of the hotel. Tonight I received the following email.

"Thank you for choosing to stay at the Seattle Airport Marriott and providing your honest feedback on the Guest Satisfaction Survey.

Providing the highest level of hospitality is our number one priority and we sincerely apologize for falling short of meeting your expectations. As a teachable moment, we have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure the necessary guidelines are in place to prevent this from occurring in the future."

Once again, thank you for your valued feedback and we hope to serve you again whenever your travels bring you back to Seattle."

As I said this is only the second time I've ever invoked the Guarantee in more than 30 years as a Marriott customer almost all of them as Platinum. The funny thing is both times the hotels were in Seattle and both times the hotels refused to acknowledge the existence of the Guarantee. Is this playing dumb about the Guarantee the norm?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by sbedelman
Is this playing dumb about the Guarantee the norm?
While I've never invoked the Arrival Gift guarantee, I did once invoke the Room Type Guarantee and had the "play dumb" response. It was at the Raleigh Crabtree FS. When I checked in the clerk went out of his way to tell me I didn't have a King guaranteed. It was odd that he mentioned this without my asking. When I pulled up the reservation it clearly showed King as guaranteed. The clerk said there was nothing he could do, so I told him he owed me $100. He said that wasn't going to happen, so I called the reservation line. He spoke to them then I believe he spoke to his manager on the phone. Suddenly there was a King room available and he was still willing to give me the $100, which I declined.

BTW I was also told something wasn't going to happen when I checked into the Fair Oaks FS in VA. One call to the reservation line and the woman that said that came back out and apologized for the "misunderstanding" and of course she would do everything possible, yadda, yadda, yadda... Bottom line: even at these two horrible properties calling reservations late at night can work.
willryu likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:30 am

Marriott Platinum welcome gift on two rooms.

I booked two rooms at a Ritz-Carlton and a Renaissance. But I only got one welcome gift (points) each for the stays at both location. (only 1000 points at Ritz even though i booked two rooms, and only 500 points at Renaissance even though i booked two rooms)

My question is, if i booked two rooms, shouldn't i get two welcome gift (i.e. double the welcome points)?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:02 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
No, you will only get one welcome gift as you can only personally stay in one of the two rooms per night.

Note that some hotel staff don't realize this and will try to offer you 2 Plat welcome gifts. If you ask for points for both, you will still only get 1 (as Marriott's system will catch it.) So in that case you will be much better off asking for points for one room and room credit/market item for the other (that way Marriott's system only sees one request for points.)
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Once I got 3 pints of ice cream at a RI where I took 3 rooms on points for a birthday celebration. It's a very local matter in this case.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Not a Marriott experience, but it does fit retelling the story here:

I was staying with my mother in Madrid, where we had each retired to our rooms following a rather hearty dinner. Not long afterwards, there was a knock at the door where an employee was standing with plates of ham and cheese for Mr Scrounger. The next morning my mother greeted me with a cry of "You pig!" as they had knocked on her door first and she assumed that I had called room service for that food, not knowing anything about (unsolicited) elite recognition amenities.
CJKatl and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It's you as a Platinum member who is receiving the "Guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift". Number of rooms is irrelevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.