FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

sig05 Sep 10, 2016 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by JesterJarett (Post 27189764)
Hi Everyone!

First --- I did read the Wiki AND I read through almost every post on this thread. That said....

I'm a MR Gold Elite with 50 nights this year. I only have three more stays that will bring me up to 64 qualifying nights by end of year. Naturally, when I saw this thread, I was shocked to think I'd be able to reach Platinum by just booking a couple of meetings.

Anyways, I booked a meeting at my local Courtyard Marriott back on August 25th, but nothing has posted to my MR account yet and no email has come my way with any reference to points earning for the spend ($180.00 total for the meeting) or reference to the 10 elite qualifying nights that everyone else above is talking about. I spoke to MR Gold customer service, and the representative told me he had not heard about the qualifying nights offer and that those ONLY come with booked rooms --- and that it should have been described in detail by the sales rep or coordinator for the property. The Courtyard Marriott I used was listed on the Rewarding Events page and allowed me to book it directly. I have the BEO document from the sales coordinator and when I registered for the event on the planning page, it even showed my MR # and status on the reservation.

Today marks 10 business days since the meeting on the 25th. I asked the sales coordinator about the qualifying nights bit and the points, and she basically said she had no clue. With the Marriott CS rep basically saying the same thing, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Should I print the Rewarding Events page out from the website and send it to the sales coordinator?

...or am I just being impatient?

Thank you to anyone that might have advice here.

I found out about the group posting tool by contacting MR and through FT - see post #1304. This has happened to me - you need to contact MR and have them train the property on how to enter the correct data. MR handled everything for me and the nights posted in 2-3 business days.

JesterJarett Sep 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi All! Back again with a couple more questions related to the Marriott Rewarding Events (MRE) program...

Back in July, my small business arranged with our local Courtyard Marriott for a four-night stay in nine rooms for an event we host each summer. I had not heard about the Rewarding Events program at that point, so I was not aware of the 10 room minimum on the points booking. Couple of questions to anyone that might know...

1) Under Qualifying Event Charges, the MRE states that "Guest room rate charges also qualify only when contract has a minimum of ten (10) guest rooms actualize for at least one (1) night of the Event (with or without catering)." Like I said above, my event only ended up having nine rooms booked in the group sales contract, but we booked all nine rooms for four nights. This is a stretch, but, does anyone think that the 36 nights spread across those four days will be considered qualifying event charges? Or did I really miss this qualifying threshold by one measly room?

2) Assuming I don't qualify for the points accrual under the 10 actualized nights spec in question one, would I still be eligible for the MRE 10 EQN's that come with booking an event with the property? Or are those only given out for meetings? My confusion is in reading rule #9 in the MRE Terms & Conditions on what counts as a qualifying event. (T&C's for MRE: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi)

Thanks, guys! Sorry for the newbie questions and interpretation. I did just call our sales coordinator at the property and mentioned the GPT. She said the sales director that handled the initial interaction "didn't pass along my MR number at the time of booking" -- which was bizarre, since I made the initial booking via marriott.com and my MR number and status were listed alongside the booking confirmation for the meeting.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-FlyerTalk.png

ssafro1 Sep 14, 2016 9:52 am

I am going to be about 10 nights short of re qualifying for PLT this year, sounds like I need to have a "meeting"!

fotoflyer88 Sep 26, 2016 3:16 pm

If anyone has suggested properties to try in the Los Angeles or greater LA area please PM me! Looks like 1 meeting could get me to PLT

HeidiInTheAlps Sep 27, 2016 12:29 am

Originally Posted by fotoflyer88 (Post 27266806)
If anyone has suggested properties to try in the Los Angeles or greater LA area please PM me! Looks like 1 meeting could get me to PLT

You don't need to show up at the meeting.... but for price, look where the real estate is also cheaper... i.e. Bakersfield

CL9 Oct 4, 2016 8:57 am

I need only few elite nights to reach platinum.

When I was on holiday I tried to book a meeting room, but hotel staff don't know anything about this. So now I want try it online.

Does anybody know a good location in Europe where I can pay with EUR?

Thanks in advance if you can help me.
CL9

SacTownGuy Oct 4, 2016 10:02 am

I just had my nights/points post. I set it up online. They emailed me once and I replied. I never spoke to anyone. I did not show as the meeting hotel was a thousand miles from here in an inexpensive midwestern city. Points and, more importantly, nights just posted automatically. Spent about $100 in total. It's REALLY easy. The value of keeping plat is more so now with the SPG merger so nice to have this little deal going. Might do one more as I will be close to 75 this year and worried Mr. Marriott will not be giving the benefit of the doubt to people like in past years. Just too many plats now. I'd rather be just over 75 than just under.

ManFactSpendLA Oct 4, 2016 5:40 pm

The lowest I'm finding for a meeting is $75. Anyone finding anything cheaper? MSG me and we can exchange notes. Thanks!

HeidiInTheAlps Oct 5, 2016 6:15 am

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA (Post 27303621)
The lowest I'm finding for a meeting is $75. Anyone finding anything cheaper? MSG me and we can exchange notes. Thanks!

That's the cheapest I ever found... there used to be some for $50, but I think that is no more...

Cooper21 Oct 5, 2016 10:46 am

Originally Posted by JesterJarett (Post 27201746)
would I still be eligible for the MRE 10 EQN's that come with booking an event with the property? Or are those only given out for meetings? My confusion is in reading rule #9 in the MRE Terms & Conditions on what counts as a qualifying event. (T&C's for MRE: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi)

I would suggest that you call the Event Manager person at the CY, and ask them to add your MR number to your event in the system. I would think they would do this for you. This should trigger the MR points along with the 10 EQN's.

The property needs to add this, and there is nothing the MR desk can resolve. Good luck.

dabbagmm Oct 10, 2016 8:48 pm

I attempted to hold a meeting at the Marriott Rivercenter in San Antonio (meeting room for two with no catering) while I had a stay booked but was told I would only get MR points for the meeting fees ($200) and there is NO nights credit as this event is too small to qualify!??

I need to get 20night credit before year end and I would appreciate any tips on properties in Houston TX with nominal meeting fees and with 100% successful credit of night. Much appreciated.

RogerD408 Oct 11, 2016 6:42 am

Originally Posted by dabbagmm (Post 27330227)
I attempted to hold a meeting at the Marriott Rivercenter in San Antonio (meeting room for two with no catering) while I had a stay booked but was told I would only get MR points for the meeting fees ($200) and there is NO nights credit as this event is too small to qualify!??

I need to get 20night credit before year end and I would appreciate any tips on properties in Houston TX with nominal meeting fees and with 100% successful credit of night. Much appreciated.

I'm presuming these statements were made by property staff. Unfortunately, they are among the least informed when it comes to program rules and often they will make up rules to support their lack of knowledge. Unless, specifically property imposed, there is nothing in the T&Cs regarding the number of people (several reports of credit given for no-shows, can't get much lower than zero attendees). A property can refuse to process the meeting booking, but if they do put it into the system, it should book as desired.

Maybe a chat with the sales manager and getting them to review the terms will get you a better answer.

rustykettel Oct 11, 2016 8:53 am

The property seems to know about the points for a meeting which is most of the battle. Don't worry about the property knowing about nights as those will automatically appear when the points for the meeting post as an event versus a sleeping room stay. My guess is they're thinking about the nights credit for booking sleeping room blocks and there are minimums for that one.

JesterJarett Oct 12, 2016 9:31 am

I gave up on the property I originally posted about. They were way too much work to get this done in any reasonable amount of time. Five weeks past the date, they started making excuses like, "the person who posts group points is on vacation and she's the only one that has access to the GPT." Two weeks later, I see the email roll in from their property that was auto-generated from their work. This is where it really got out of hand: I had two events -- one with actual rooms booked in July that never got credited and a separate meeting in August that was just for the 10 nights credit. When they finally got around to posting the activity to the GPT, they bundled the total spend, so I only got 10 nights credit instead of two separate posts. I reached out so many times to the property about this, I just gave up on them.

Long story short: I found another CY property in Portland to book a two hour meeting at, and the day after the meeting they had already posted the points via the GPT and my 10 nights awarded without issue.

Something tells me this MRE benefit will be on the chopping block in 2018 when SPG+Marriott consolidate their programs.

mikeef Oct 18, 2016 5:10 pm

Just had the following conversation with my wife:

Me: "Honey, I just rented a room in Portland for an hour, if you know what I mean."

Her: "Uh-huh, that's nice."

Me: "But don't worry, I'm not having an affair or anything."

Her: Bursts out laughing.

Me: "Hey, I could be having an affair. You don't know!"

Her: "Yeah, right. I know you too well. How many points are you getting?"

Well the joke's on her. I'm doing it for the status nights. So there.

Mike