FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

edcho Nov 7, 2016 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 27449405)
For any of the newbies who are neurotic about doing this (like I am/was), I just got my bill from my meeting rep thanking me for using the service and telling me that she had submitted it. Ya know, the meeting that I missed because I was 2,000 miles away. No mention of a no-show or anything.

The only downside is that a $75 bill turned into $91.50 after the service charge.

Mike

Just think of it as $9.15 a night.

RogerD408 Nov 7, 2016 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 27449405)
For any of the newbies who are neurotic about doing this (like I am/was), I just got my bill from my meeting rep thanking me for using the service and telling me that she had submitted it. Ya know, the meeting that I missed because I was 2,000 miles away. No mention of a no-show or anything.

The only downside is that a $75 bill turned into $91.50 after the service charge.

Mike

Just like a $75/night room... junk fees.

imgonnafly Nov 7, 2016 7:22 pm

i wish they would announce the new lifetime program so we'd know how many meetings to book to get to the goal.

mikeef Nov 8, 2016 7:36 am

Originally Posted by edcho (Post 27449460)
Just think of it as $9.15 a night.

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 27450495)
Just like a $75/night room... junk fees.

:D :D :D

Mike

ssafro1 Nov 8, 2016 9:14 am

Confirming my nights posted within 24 hours after my very important "meeting". I mentioned to the sales girl we will likely need several follow ups to really close the deal. ha

SacTownGuy Nov 8, 2016 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by ssafro1 (Post 27453409)
Confirming my nights posted within 24 hours after my very important "meeting". I mentioned to the sales girl we will likely need several follow ups to really close the deal. ha

Exactly! :)

svo242 Nov 8, 2016 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by ssafro1 (Post 27453409)

Good plan! Did you physically attend the meeting?

ssafro1 Nov 8, 2016 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by svo242 (Post 27455899)
Good plan! Did you physically attend the meeting?

Yes, I just sat in there and did some work for a bit that I would have done otherwise at my office anyway. Perhaps in round two I will try a no show...

sethb Nov 8, 2016 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer (Post 27426721)
Does anyone know if this has to be set up through the quote process, or can I just work this out with the CY I happen to be staying at all the time these days?

If they'll offer you a low enough rate, take it. It doesn't have to go through any particular process.

I'd have done it that way except the hotel I was at at the time wanted $200/day, and wouldn't lower the rate for part of a day. (I offered them $400/day if they'd bill multiple meetings to multiple people, figuring I could find others here who were interested, but they wouldn't do that.)

CanadaOne Nov 9, 2016 8:56 am

Best rates?

Doing some research for upcoming meetings. Am new to this so would appreciate the help. Any tips of areas that are cheapest for booking meetings? GTA preferably but if the rates are just crazy all around GTA, am open to anywhere in Canada. Are there certain days that work best etc?

Thanks in advance

SacTownGuy Nov 9, 2016 8:56 am

Originally Posted by ssafro1 (Post 27456684)
Yes, I just sat in there and did some work for a bit that I would have done otherwise at my office anyway. Perhaps in round two I will try a no show...

Why anybody shows up for fake meetings is beyond me. There is not one reported incident, that I am aware of, where somebody has no-showed and not gotten their 10 nights.

RogerD408 Nov 9, 2016 9:01 am

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy (Post 27458553)
Why anybody shows up for fake meetings is beyond me. There is not one reported incident, that I am aware of, where somebody has no-showed and not gotten their 10 nights.

Just the few where the property cancelled the booking trying to be nice and not charge for no one showing up. Yes, rare, but it has happened. If you've got the time and can use some quiet time, not a bad idea.

SacTownGuy Nov 9, 2016 4:04 pm

I just got an email from Marriott:

Exclusive offer for meeting planners. Book your next meeting or event with Marriott® at one of our participating hotels and get Platinum status!

mindrisa Nov 9, 2016 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy (Post 27460150)
I just got an email from Marriott:

Exclusive offer for meeting planners. Book your next meeting or event with Marriott® at one of our participating hotels and get Platinum status!

Does it have any criteria to meet? Minimum number of rooms, minimum spend, etc?

svo242 Nov 9, 2016 11:30 pm

Just have a question for clarification...

If I were to have 8 meetings with Marriott at the very beginning of 2017 (Jan/Feb), then I would receive 80 elite credits, resulting in platinum status valid through Feb 2019?