FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

rustykettel Nov 15, 2016 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 27483549)
Did I do something wrong?

Nope. In my experience, the properties are slow to charge and then slow to post for meetings. I'd give it a week to flow through and either contact them or just move on and book another somewhere else. Some will be "nice guys" and not charge for a no show.

Ceres Nov 15, 2016 11:39 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 27483820)
Nope. In my experience, the properties are slow to charge and then slow to post for meetings. I'd give it a week to flow through and either contact them or just move on and book another somewhere else. Some will be "nice guys" and not charge for a no show.

I would be worried a little less if they had actually charged my Credit Card. I was just using those to add to rollover nights was all.
I'll follow up with the results.

PetzLUX Nov 15, 2016 12:09 pm

For me, CC was generally charged on the day they did post the points.

ncgator Nov 17, 2016 6:27 am

Anyone else get hit with a "banquet" charge for their "meeting"? I Booked an hour at a Spring Hill suites online for $75. Received confirmation email showing the charge of $75 and that I would be contacted by the property for details. I never heard from the property so reached out to them. I was told everything was good and nothing further needed on my end. I actually showed up at the meeting as I used it to catch up on paperwork while traveling. When I received the email with the charge it showed a 20% banquet charge. When I questioned the charge was told that was normal and customary for any meeting.

Have other properties charged this as well? If not, my fault for not asking for complete disclosure on charges when I had her on the phone.

BTW, been 8 days and still no points or nights in my account. Gonna give it another week before I start chasing them down.

rustykettel Nov 17, 2016 8:27 am

I haven't seen that. As I recall, there's an option in the Quick Book to choose or decline both A/V equipment and F&B along with the meeting room layout.

ehallison Nov 17, 2016 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ncgator (Post 27492091)
Anyone else get hit with a "banquet" charge for their "meeting"? I Booked an hour at a Spring Hill suites online for $75. Received confirmation email showing the charge of $75 and that I would be contacted by the property for details. I never heard from the property so reached out to them. I was told everything was good and nothing further needed on my end. I actually showed up at the meeting as I used it to catch up on paperwork while traveling. When I received the email with the charge it showed a 20% banquet charge. When I questioned the charge was told that was normal and customary for any meeting.

Have other properties charged this as well? If not, my fault for not asking for complete disclosure on charges when I had her on the phone.

BTW, been 8 days and still no points or nights in my account. Gonna give it another week before I start chasing them down.

I just paid a service charge of 18%, I think, but it was disclosed up front so I factored it in to what I was willing to pay. That's too bad they didn't tell you about it. Normally I'd fight a charge like that if they can't prove in writing that it was disclosed, but in this case you really want your points & nights to post so I'm not sure if I would.

SacTownGuy Nov 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by ncgator (Post 27492091)

Yes. Normal. I would say 80% of the time I have had a fee around 18-20%.

mikeef Nov 21, 2016 11:12 am

Mine took one to two weeks. Don't remember exactly how long, but it was in that time frame. It also added 20% as a service charge.

Mike

Cooper21 Nov 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 27509560)
Mine took one to two weeks. Don't remember exactly how long, but it was in that time frame. It also added 20% as a service charge.

Mike

Each situation is different, but I have been able to negotiate away the service charge. Let them know that you don't need anything (no pitchers of water, no pencils or writing pads) and the room will be exactly as you found it. They don't even need to set up tables. However the room is currently set is fine.

I tell them I MAY have people come by to pick up information, but no one may show up. The 2 properties that I have used for this charged me $75 flat.

sig05 Nov 28, 2016 4:35 pm

Was able to get confirmation the other day that it is, in fact, the Group Posting Tool used to process points. I have removed identifying info:

Subject: Award Posted: Rewarding Events Group Posting Tool

DEAR . . .

Thank you for completing the Rewarding Events posting online for [hotel name] .

The Rewards member(s) below received the following points in their account based on the information entered.

Total Revenue: $50.00 USD

Primary Member
Name: [member name]
Acct: [MR #]
Meeting Date:
Marriott Rewards Points: 150
Date Posted:
Reference Number:

I was forwarded the email as confirmation of points posting from the hotel.

alc Nov 29, 2016 4:29 pm

Admit didn't read all the posts on this thread, but just a thought for others to comment if I am out to lunch (as usual :))

I am going get 75 nights this year for sure. But I was just wondering if I can find some cheap meeting room, should I do a few anyway. Reason is that I recently learn from FT that rollover night get double-dip for LT counter. So, every meeting I do, it will go 20 nights toward that LT status - 10 this year, 10 next week. I am okay on my LT points, if everything working out what I think it will be, I should reach 2MM+ early next year. Bt my nights is just over 260 at the moment, hence reaching that 750 is still a very long way to go. But 5 meetings will boost it by 100 nights for maybe $500.

darthbimmer Nov 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by alc (Post 27543525)
I am going get 75 nights this year for sure. But I was just wondering if I can find some cheap meeting room, should I do a few anyway. Reason is that I recently learn from FT that rollover night get double-dip for LT counter. So, every meeting I do, it will go 20 nights toward that LT status - 10 this year, 10 next week. I am okay on my LT points, if everything working out what I think it will be, I should reach 2MM+ early next year. Bt my nights is just over 260 at the moment, hence reaching that 750 is still a very long way to go. But 5 meetings will boost it by 100 nights for maybe $500.

Yes, your reasoning is sound. But note that if rollover nights from last year are part of the 75 you're already counting for this year, MR will subtract them from your total before determining how many rollover nights you earn this year.

BTW, nearly 2MM lifetime points but only 260 nights? I'm curious about your earnings pattern. Lots of expensive nights?

alc Nov 29, 2016 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 27544494)
Yes, your reasoning is sound. But note that if rollover nights from last year are part of the 75 you're already counting for this year, MR will subtract them from your total before determining how many rollover nights you earn this year.

none of my current 75+ nights are rollover nights, but I do have 24 (and counting) promotional nights from the Birthday and double-elite-night promo and 15 credit cards nights. Not sure if that will throw my plan off.

-- added --

I just check on the Marriott web site, it show a Fairfield Inn in my area offering CAD $100... really temping to do this. :)

stc Nov 30, 2016 6:13 am

Originally Posted by alc (Post 27544859)
none of my current 75+ nights are rollover nights, but I do have 24 (and counting) promotional nights from the Birthday and double-elite-night promo and 15 credit cards nights. Not sure if that will throw my plan off.

I know (from experience) the CC nights won't be a problem toward rollover and I think the other promotional nights are also OK.

ssafro1 Nov 30, 2016 9:14 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 27544494)

BTW, nearly 2MM lifetime points but only 260 nights? I'm curious about your earnings pattern. Lots of expensive nights?

Or lots of non Marriott related CC spend on that Visa!