FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

Toronto girl Jul 25, 2016 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by joeags (Post 26967333)
It worked at a Fairfield Inn for me in Toronto.

Thanks for the info. Did you have to ask for it or was it automatically provided to you? Also is it stated in the signed contract? Can't figure out why Springhiss Suites won't provide the benefit.

samosa Jul 26, 2016 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Toronto girl (Post 26967878)
Thanks for the info. Did you have to ask for it or was it automatically provided to you? Also is it stated in the signed contract? Can't figure out why Springhiss Suites won't provide the benefit.

Please see wiki:

"Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager."

RogerD408 Jul 26, 2016 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Toronto girl (Post 26966696)
Apologies if this has already been addressed but does the 10 nights elite credit apply to meetings booked in Canada? I didn't see exceptions posted in small print on Marriott website but when I requested a quote for a meeting room in Toronto the sales person advised, when I specifically asked, that I would only receive points but that no elite nights would be granted. This was for a meeting at the Springhill Suites brand.

Thanks for any insight.

I've found most times asking anyone at a property about MR benefits is near futile. They are not allowed to participate and it seems very little training is provided. I had a FDC congratulate me upon reaching Platinum and how I must be relieved I don't have to do so many stays in the future. She thought all status was for life and not having to be re-earned each year. I did explain some of the facts of life to her. :)

As long as the property books the meeting properly, you should get credit. Just keep in mind meetings may not be booked immediately following the event and batched up by the week or otherwise depending upon the properties procedures.

joeags Jul 26, 2016 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto girl (Post 26967878)
Thanks for the info. Did you have to ask for it or was it automatically provided to you? Also is it stated in the signed contract? Can't figure out why Springhill Suites won't provide the benefit.

The above answers this, but for me: I did not receive a contract to sign. 2 weeks after the meeting, I hadn't received the points, so I e-mailed the hotel contact. After this, I was billed for the meeting, but received no points. Then I asked about the 3 points per dollar another week later, and that was when the nights and points were applied. I'm not sure if this all would eventually have happened without interaction.

Madone59 Jul 26, 2016 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by stc (Post 26863234)
If anyone wants to PM me with $50 or $75 meetings, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by eastcstrob1 (Post 26870277)
I'd also be interested in a $50/$75 meeting property. I have 2 booked at $100, Wouldn't mind saving a few on my next 2 meetings :) TIA

My $50 spot jumped to $150 some time between now and mid May when i booked last :( :td:

kklems Jul 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Did a meeting at ($100) Flatiron Ren in Broomfield, CO. Was staying at the hotel so I "attended" the 1 hour meeting. Waited 15 business days to post without anything. Emailed the Ren contact person and she replied that they would post this week. 30 minutes later it showed up.

The nearby Springhill Suites in Broomfield had cancelled my meeting without notice so I moved my two nights and meeting from SS to the REN. Glad I did since it was a nice property.

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to PM some properties that posted nights and are ok with a no-show. Just need one more meeting this year to ensure platinum with my remaining stays and planned CC spend.

stc Jul 26, 2016 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 26971476)
My $50 spot jumped to $150 some time between now and mid May when i booked last :( :td:

Rates even at the same hotel can be all over the map. I've found Saturday and Sunday mornings about 6 or 7 AM for 1 hour are usually cheapest but weeks can vary widely. I would suggest looking 1 to 2 weeks out. I've paid both $50 and $100 for the same hotel on a Sunday morning for 1 hour.

NotYouTu Jul 28, 2016 7:02 pm

Debating on what to do, I did a couple of these and one still hasn't posted. They said it got stuck pending, they would try again, but not sure what's going on. I have a stay at a JW coming up and need just one more meeting to post (like, the one that should have posted a month ago) to have plat.

Anyone know if a place that posts within a day or two? If I don't get a positive response I should probably try another place so I can get plat before my next stay.

sig05 Aug 1, 2016 12:17 pm

Update on my two meetings:

Both posted "bonus" points but no nights. Called MR and they had to walk the property through how to credit nights. The hotel initially told me it was out of their hands and MR had to decide whether to award me nights. MR CSR told me that was incorrect and talked to both hotels directly. MR said nights should be post in 2-3 business days and to call back if not - notes were posted to my account.

Madone59 Aug 1, 2016 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by stc (Post 26973017)
Rates even at the same hotel can be all over the map. I've found Saturday and Sunday mornings about 6 or 7 AM for 1 hour are usually cheapest but weeks can vary widely. I would suggest looking 1 to 2 weeks out. I've paid both $50 and $100 for the same hotel on a Sunday morning for 1 hour.

^^. I picked up a $75er this past weekend and will be Platinum when it posts :)

Originally Posted by NotYouTu (Post 26983877)
Anyone know if a place that posts within a day or two? If I don't get a positive response I should probably try another place so I can get plat before my next stay.

I've never heard of a meeting posting that quickly.

RogerD408 Aug 1, 2016 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by sig05 (Post 26999134)

Both posted "bonus" points but no nights. Called MR and they had to walk the property through how to credit nights. The hotel initially told me it was out of their hands and MR had to decide whether to award me nights. MR CSR told me that was incorrect and talked to both hotels directly. MR said nights should be post in 2-3 business days and to call back if not - notes were posted to my account.

Another example of someone making up rules when they don't really don't know. Pushing back was the right thing to do and finding someone willing to train the property was great!

NotYouTu Aug 1, 2016 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 26999294)
I've never heard of a meeting posting that quickly.

They finally got a hold of me this weekend, said GM was on leave and only he could approve it. He would be back on Monday (yesterday) and they would get it done. First thing Monday morning I got notification that they posted, I'm now plat.

samosa Aug 2, 2016 4:37 am

I hope they also let you keep the "bonus points"

Originally Posted by sig05 (Post 26999134)

sig05 Aug 2, 2016 10:28 am

Originally Posted by samosa (Post 27002455)
I hope they also let you keep the "bonus points"

They took away the bonus points, but the nights for one meeting has posted.

Madone59 Aug 3, 2016 11:15 am

Originally Posted by sig05 (Post 27003769)
They took away the bonus points, but the nights for one meeting has posted.

I just got 1,000 bonus miles for the event I had last weekend. No 10 nights yet, but the miles are there.