Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:51 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Originally Posted by Seabilly
Finally gave this a try as a shortcut to Plat. Did a one hour interview meeting on May 8th and the nights/points posted today. Probably won't do this again since I'm a long way from points for Lifetime anything, but at least I'll be Plat next year (as soon as my Sat night stays posts)

It was actually pretty painless. The only thing I noticed is that the form I sent in didn't have a space for my Marriott number so I wrote it in next to my signature before scanning/sending the form back.
I received PP this year for the first time. Not even sure how it happened. So far , and I have done about 9 stays already this year, I have never received an acknowledgement at any of my check ins. Same as in the past, "Thank u for being a Platinum member". Nothing extra. Marriott Corp. did send me an acknowledgement in the mail and a small gift that I gave my husband. Not sure what the benefit is to having PP
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by mav
I received PP this year for the first time. Not even sure how it happened. So far , and I have done about 9 stays already this year, I have never received an acknowledgement at any of my check ins. Same as in the past, "Thank u for being a Platinum member". Nothing extra. Marriott Corp. did send me an acknowledgement in the mail and a small gift that I gave my husband. Not sure what the benefit is to having PP

The only benefit of getting PP over platinum is the United Gold https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/mar...r-united-gold/ which lets you pick economy+ seats when you book your tickets and higher chance of being bumped into first class compared to silver.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jdang
The only benefit of getting PP over platinum is the United Gold https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/mar...r-united-gold/ which lets you pick economy+ seats when you book your tickets and higher chance of being bumped into first class compared to silver.
*G(*A) is a pretty big benefit in my book. AFAIK there's no other way of achieving *G via hotel reward schemes.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by PayItForward
My money is that PP is a reflection of both high stays and high revenue, not unlike IHG Royal Ambassador status. Invite only status typically leverage highly on recognizing high spenders but as a loyalty program, they would probably also want to encourage and cultivate return business. A meeting planner / event organiser certainly can hit both if events are in the '000s each. Imagine bringing in events with over millions in revenue annually and the event nights. I would think PP would be a real possibility. Think trade show / conferences planners..
All I know is I was neither when I earned PP and it didn't last more than a year. I was top tier with four different programs at the time. I'd hate to think they are sharing stay data, but I guess it could be. Regardless, there's little, if any benefit in getting PP. I view it like the brass ring at the merry-go-round (remember those), maybe a free ride if you didn't throw it at the clown nose.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:39 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Wink

Originally Posted by yurtripper
*G(*A) is a pretty big benefit in my book. AFAIK there's no other way of achieving *G via hotel reward schemes.
That is a good benefit for someone who can use it. Thank you for the info., but I am 1k on United, and almost at million miles. Will be lifetime Gold after I reach million miles, which will happen soon. I haven't given up hope that at a check at some point in they will say, "thank u for being PP, we have upgraded u too..."
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
My apologies if this was already discussed. This is a long thread.

I went to the quotation page and some of the hotels show a daily rate of $400. Does it necessarily mean I will need to pay $400 if I only rent the meeting room for 1 - 2 hours?

Last edited by naumank; Jun 17, 2017 at 11:23 pm Reason: I found the answer to my original question. This is a new question.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by naumank

I went to the quotation page and some of the hotels show a daily rate of $400. Does it necessarily mean I will need to pay $400 if I only rent the meeting room for 1 - 2 hours?
In the past (I haven't done one lately), selecting 1 or 2 hours during booking changes to price to half the original displayed amount. Note that many (most?) properties will add on the usual sort of lodging/similar taxes on top of the quoted rate.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Some properties will pro-rate to by-the-hour and some will have a minimum half day charge, or other, but since you haven't named the property no one can accurately give you the answer you're looking for but you have an easy ability to get the correct info - just call the property and ask the event manager.

Tell them what you want (limited time) and you might be pleasantly surprised or due to timing, i.e. Very early or very late, can negotiate as pricing is not set by Marriott but by the individual property.

Originally Posted by naumank

Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:29 pm
kkl

Had found a perfect hotel who knew exactly what I was doing and was more than helpful.

Now upper management wants someone to actually sign in for the meeting.

Guess gotta find a new property
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kkl
Had found a perfect hotel who knew exactly what I was doing and was more than helpful.

Now upper management wants someone to actually sign in for the meeting.

Guess gotta find a new property
Not necessarily. Find someone near the property to "attend". Just might find someone here that would appreciate the find.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Does the meeting room have to be booked through the Rewarding Events section of the website? How about if a meeting room is reserved directly with the hotel while i am there? If I don't earn points/nights automatically, can I retro claim provided that I have a contract?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by staff
Does the meeting room have to be booked through the Rewarding Events section of the website? How about if a meeting room is reserved directly with the hotel while i am there? If I don't earn points/nights automatically, can I retro claim provided that I have a contract?
Yes, it can be directly through the hotel. I did this last year directly as I tried to negotiate a better price than the website allowed (didn't work). But I still received the credits.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by joeags
Yes, it can be directly through the hotel. I did this last year directly as I tried to negotiate a better price than the website allowed (didn't work). But I still received the credits.
Great. Ended up having to rent a meeting room because the complimentary executive lounge meeting room was too small for our party. Would be great to get the stay/night credits for this.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:15 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Think you'll find that the complimentary executive lounge meeting rooms do not qualify as Reward Meetings for your purpose stated here.

Originally Posted by staff
Ended up having to rent a meeting room because the complimentary executive lounge meeting room was too small for our party. Would be great to get the stay/night credits for this.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:51 am
kkl

Had found another property who was keen to work with me. But in their opinion only Banquet rooms qualify for the 10 elite nights which can hold 40pax. Not the smaller 1-4pax meeting rooms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.