Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Finally gave this a try as a shortcut to Plat. Did a one hour interview meeting on May 8th and the nights/points posted today. Probably won't do this again since I'm a long way from points for Lifetime anything, but at least I'll be Plat next year (as soon as my Sat night stays posts)

It was actually pretty painless. The only thing I noticed is that the form I sent in didn't have a space for my Marriott number so I wrote it in next to my signature before scanning/sending the form back.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:28 pm

So I finally hit platinum with 6 meetings and the credit card. I got a mail congratulating me in getting platinum. On there it showed the requirements for getting Silver, Gold, and Platinum and the benefits of each. Under each it showed

Silver 10 nights or 1 meeting
Gold 50 nights or 5 meetings
Platinum 75 nights or 8 meetings.

It actually listed meetings as a way for getting platinum so I would assuming they're not counting this way of getting platinum as a loophole or anything.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
The hotel is denying me credit as they claim there is a minimum spend threshold. Marriott have not responded to email (5 separate emails in a month).

Has anyone else encountered this, or can shed any light?

Thanks
Old May 23, 2017, 7:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Don't get in a big discussion. Just send them
an email asking for the Marriott points to
be posted (would get 1 point per $ regardless of spend). Some posters have mentioned asking the property to
post the points using the group posting tool (the exact name is in the wiki). Once the points post the nights should come automatically.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Flapster
The hotel is denying me credit as they claim there is a minimum spend threshold. Marriott have not responded to email (5 separate emails in a month).

Thanks
There are people that will make up their own rules to deny credit (after all that's extra work for them). It's sad when they try that with people that know better. Push the issue with MR and it should get resolved in your favor.

Which property is doing this? You might get more specific advice if someone has had the same problem at that property. And do keep us informed how to turns out.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Flapster

Thanks
For sure push on this. There is no min spend rule. I have spent $75. Others have reported $50. I would write a letter to Marriott headquarters. It's really a simple situation and should be resolved.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I booked and missed two meetings at a midwest property. Manager called to tell me that she will not book any more meetings for me.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Ronlap
I booked and missed two meetings at a midwest property. Manager called to tell me that she will not book any more meetings for me.
But I'm sure they put the charge through real quick!!!

Yes, this is not in the spirit of the T&Cs, but certainly within the terms. I doubt MR will attempt a fix until maybe after the final merge.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Plenty of fish in the sea! Lots of other properties if you're going to book more meetings.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:31 am

Anybody doing events for night get platinum premier? I heard normally it is 130+ nights. just curious if events count for that or it requires actual night stays to get it.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdang
Anybody doing events for night get platinum premier? I heard normally it is 130+ nights. just curious if events count for that or it requires actual night stays to get it.
MR has not released anything other than PPs are the top 3% of the members. They have not stated if that was based upon nights, stays, $s, or number of known executives. Chasing PP with unneeded stays is not wise. It only takes one person doing 1 item more than you to knock you out of the running. Do the stays you need to do, do the stays you want to do and see where everything shakes out. There is no line to step over to say you are in.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by RogerD408
MR has not released anything other than PPs are the top 3% of the members. They have not stated if that was based upon nights, stays, $s, or number of known executives. Chasing PP with unneeded stays is not wise.
Not only that, but why ask for additional scrutiny? Using meetings to get a few nights over a hump is great. Having large numbers of meetings with extremely low revenue is just begging for someone to take another look at the program.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Not only that, but why ask for additional scrutiny? Using meetings to get a few nights over a hump is great. Having large numbers of meetings with extremely low revenue is just begging for someone to take another look at the program.
Like the OP's wife having 500+ nights, just curious people who actually doing events for the events and getting nights as a bonus if they got PP getting 130+ night in a year.

Considering nights roll over, I was thinking maybe 150 nights for platinum for 2 years and perhaps maybe chance of PP for having 130+ nights.

I know the 130+ night is probably not the requirements to be top 3%, just curious anyone with with that many nights has gotten PP.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:42 pm

Like the OP's wife having 500+ nights, just curious people who actually doing events for the events and getting nights as a bonus if they got PP getting 130+ night in a year.

Considering nights roll over, I was thinking maybe 150 nights for platinum for 2 years and perhaps maybe chance of PP for having 130+ nights.

I know the 130+ night is probably not the requirements to be top 3%, just curious anyone with with that many nights has gotten PP.
My money is that PP is a reflection of both high stays and high revenue, not unlike IHG Royal Ambassador status. Invite only status typically leverage highly on recognizing high spenders but as a loyalty program, they would probably also want to encourage and cultivate return business. A meeting planner / event organiser certainly can hit both if events are in the '000s each. Imagine bringing in events with over millions in revenue annually and the event nights. I would think PP would be a real possibility. Think trade show / conferences planners..
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
just curious anyone with with that many nights has gotten PP.
No.

I pumped up my nights in 2016 via meetings to match the points that will come into the account from SPG when the programs merge.

Didn't receive PP, didn't expect to.

I'm hopeful that the SPG points will count for lifetime status when the programs merge --- but it's not going to kill me if they don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.