Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Booked two meetings at a Fairfield, one for this morning, one for tomorrow morning. Paid $75 CDN ($56.25 USD) before provincial sales tax, no service charges. The 10 nights from this mornings meeting posted by 2pm the same day even though I didn't bother showing up. By the same time tomorrow I should be a platinum member.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by dgreen12
I go through my Marriott corporate contact and copy the person at the hotel.
is the "marriott corporate contact" something you requested or can you explain this a bit more? thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL: PM
Originally Posted by Reid
Booked two meetings at a Fairfield, one for this morning, one for tomorrow morning. Paid $75 CDN ($56.25 USD) before provincial sales tax, no service charges. The 10 nights from this mornings meeting posted by 2pm the same day even though I didn't bother showing up. By the same time tomorrow I should be a platinum member.
This is amazing! I am still waiting for a November meeting to post, even with the promise to post after calling them.

I still need to schedule more meetings if only one could find participating locations that will promptly post the 10 nights.

Last edited by Ewele; Dec 16, 2016 at 3:22 pm
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by YUL438
is the "marriott corporate contact" something you requested or can you explain this a bit more? thanks!
When I first booked a hotel meeting room at the property, paperwork came from someone in San Francisco. I've continued to work with that person to book meeting rooms at the proper type in Washington state.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Question: If I book an event for two days, will that count as one meeting or two? I.E. so would I receive 10 night credits or 20 night credits?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by svo242
Question: If I book an event for two days, will that count as one meeting or two? I.E. so would I receive 10 night credits or 20 night credits?
The program is per event... So unless you book it as two separate meetings you are only entitled to one event giving 10 nights credit.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
Im in Bangkok has anyone done the meeting thing here??
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Just want to confirm that earning platinum very early in the year (Jan/Feb 2017) will still result in platinum status through Feb 2019? And earning plat this way has no restrictions on matching to SPG plat? Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum / Southwest
Still waiting for the night to post, but...

I usually travel enough that I get Platinum renewed, but I was a little short this year. I had never had a need for using meeting space, but remembered they count for 10 nights, so I turned to Google. It led me to this forum and then I checked my area for meeting spaces. Some were outrageous, and most don't list prices. There were two Courtyards, one convenient to me with no prices listed and one a little bit of a drive that listed a half day meeting space, no catering or A/V at $75.

I filled out the request form for the convenient Courtyard listing my budget as $75 and included in the notes that I was flexible on days and times. They ended up giving me the space for what I offered on a day that they would have otherwise had the space go unused, even though they said it's lower than their usual rates, which I think they said were around $150?

So, for a little research on area pricing and offering flexibility on the time, I was able to extend my Platinum benefits for another year.

UPDATE: The 10 nights posted to my account this morning, a day after my original post.

Last edited by michaelp33183; Dec 20, 2016 at 6:35 am
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by svo242
Just want to confirm that earning platinum very early in the year (Jan/Feb 2017) will still result in platinum status through Feb 2019? And earning plat this way has no restrictions on matching to SPG plat? Thanks!
Typically status is good for the year you earn it, the year after that, and then through Feb the year after that. And, as long as you have your accounts linked, you status should match. Now the unknown is what is going to happen to the program in 2018 and how they will merge the accounts. Presumption is if your status is set to carry through Feb 2019, then it will carry over that long in the new program. There is nothing stating this and it's up to the new program to decide.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:43 pm

Can anyone post or PM me a hotel (& contact if available) where I can do a meeting without showing up for $100 or less?

I tried requesting quotes on the Marriott website & got no response. I called the closest one (a Fairfield Inn), the woman had to call Marriott to learn about the 10 EQNs (she told me I was confusing it with 10 MR points per dollar) & then quoted me $200 for half a conference room for an hour.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: MPC -> QFF
Originally Posted by robnc35
Im in Bangkok has anyone done the meeting thing here??
I'm just in the final steps of securing a conference room at the Marriott Sukhumvit. Their minimum rate is THB3,000++ for 1 hour in a 10 person conference room. They were able to send me a contract within 1 business day, and it does mention that MRs will be posted after the event.

The sales manager is very nice to deal with. Initially she wanted to offer me free use of their meeting room in the executive lounge and was perplexed that I wanted to pay for a meeting room instead

Looking forward to staying there this weekend, and will probably use the hour in the conference room to answer some work emails.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:12 pm

thanks fluffy dot... did you use the marriott website?? I'm not getting any response from them .. tried to book courtyard in bkk 3 different times 3000 is not bad please let me know how it worked out thanks
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: MPC -> QFF
Originally Posted by robnc35
thanks fluffy dot... did you use the marriott website?? I'm not getting any response from them .. tried to book courtyard in bkk 3 different times 3000 is not bad please let me know how it worked out thanks
My multiple submissions to the Marriott RFP website were ignored as well. I ended up just calling the hotel front desk and asked for transfer to their Meeting/Event Manager. Once connected you can ask what their minimum rental and exchange email contacts. They usually responded within 24 hrs and so far so good. I am all set for my 1 hour meeting this weekend.

Total estimated cost is THB3,531.-
I only needed two more nights to renew for Gold but this way is cheaper and faster.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:18 am

Thanks Fluffy i will do the same

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.