Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Premier Credit Card: Sign-up for 50,000 points!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Premier Credit Card: Sign-up for 50,000 points!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 5:46 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by tbaumann3
The free Category 1-4 night more than covers the AF as long as you use it. In addition, the 15 EQ nights make it easier to acheive status. I just made it to Plat this year thanks in part to this card.
I believe the free room is for categories 1-4 the first year and categories 1-5 subsequent years.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by Recreation
I believe the free room is for categories 1-4 the first year and categories 1-5 subsequent years.
That is correct.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The $20 annual fee increase is unfortunate, but I save more than that in the foreign fees I don't pay when I use the card internationally.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I just phoned Chase CS regarding the annual fee & was told that existing cardmembers will be charged $85 starting Sep. 15. My annual fee bills every year on May 1, so I intend to let my 15 night credits & Cat. 5 freebie arrive ~ March 7/ 2012, then cancel in spring.
I will still have Hyatt or Chase Sapphire to enjoy the lack of forex fees!
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:32 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium; Hyatt - Globalist; United - 1K
I don't recall getting a notice from Chase regarding this increase, but on my last statement it said my annual fee of $65 would be charged on 9/1/11. Looks like I am getting lucky!

Even at $85, I think it is still a great deal. The Cat 1-5 is worth at least $85 alone in my view.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hilton Silver (Yuck)
Originally Posted by SecondCity
I don't recall getting a notice from Chase regarding this increase, but on my last statement it said my annual fee of $65 would be charged on 9/1/11. Looks like I am getting lucky!

Even at $85, I think it is still a great deal. The Cat 1-5 is worth at least $85 alone in my view.
Exactly. There is such a backlash from this increase - I wish I didn't have to pay the $20 extra, but the card is still EASILY worth that. One free night in a cat. 5 is worth $85. I see the backlash stemming from those who try to churn credit cards anyway...so it doesn't matter to them anyway.

If it keeps the card around, then I'm happy to pay the extra $20 (do I get points on the $20 fee?)
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
not sure if this is posted anywhere else..but i saw on SD a 30k offer +2 free nights...

http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/marriottrewards/30#
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by bitachu
not sure if this is posted anywhere else..but i saw on SD a 30k offer +2 free nights...

http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/marriottrewards/30#
If you are a "repeat customer" I'd apply for the 50K offer because churners tend to NOT get the initial free night(s) bonus.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Got mine yesterday...

Originally Posted by SecondCity

I just received my increase notice in the mail yesterday. Not sure why so many people get so incensed over $20. (Chase elected to waive transaction fees this year!) My electric bill was over $300 last month, we will be on meters before too long, so water will likely double (some say triple), and I notice an increase in various items everytime I grocery shop!

If the card no longer works for you--cancel it. Don't make a hasty decision and cut off your nose to spite your face. Every year we've used the category 5 certificate somewhere out of the country and added to a 5 night stay and saved 100's, literally.

Also, if wasn't for the 15 nights a year toward status (and the 1 night for every $3k charged), I would never have maintained Platinum.

As far as the interest rate, is that really an issue? I mean, no one really keeps balances on credit cards anymore anyways. We've all learned those lessons years ago. I don't know a single person that doesn't pay their balance off every month...unless they are really young and haven't learned that you either have the money or you can't afford it. If you need money for an unexpected event, you don't use these types of cards and carry a balance!

Anyway, do what works for you.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I got the notice in the mail today too. I think the 15 elite nights and annual certificate are definitely worth it. Why even have the standard card anymore?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, Marriott-Plat, PC-Gold
Originally Posted by kymbakitty
As far as the interest rate, is that really an issue? I mean, no one really keeps balances on credit cards anymore anyways. We've all learned those lessons years ago. I don't know a single person that doesn't pay their balance off every month...unless they are really young and haven't learned that you either have the money or you can't afford it. If you need money for an unexpected event, you don't use these types of cards and carry a balance!
While that may be ideal, you can't assume that people aren't carrying balances. Things happen.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Upgrade?

I could not find it in this thread, so I apologize if it is in here and I missed it.

Im not a "churner", and not looking to have more cards than I have slots in my wallet.... I am just a business traveler who's wife loves the perks of multiple free vacations each year.

With that said, I currently have the standard Marriott Rewards Visa card, and it has been very nice to me over the years. Has anyone had any luck upgrading that to the Marriott Premier Card, and getting the points bonus?

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: HH, MR
Originally Posted by njcommodore
What did you end up getting? I had the regular Marriott Rewards (gray) card for a year or two and closed it last July 1. Applied for the Premier Visa, now a 30k bonus, 5pts/$1 and no annual fee first year. Took a week but was approved. Now waiting to see if I get the 30k and free night cert. Less concerned about the free night, I'm sitting on 2 at the moment and trying to build the points back up for another week of All Inclusive in Curaco
Did you get your bonus again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.