Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2021, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Oh no, didn’t know that. Thanks for reminding me. I wonder if the residence uses similar ventilation system, although that limits diamond benefit.. Anyway, back to topic.. any info on gold benefit for SGS?
None apart from late checkout and I strongly recommend to maybe seek out a different property, especially as a non-Platinum/Titanium.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 1:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
None apart from late checkout and I strongly recommend to maybe seek out a different property, especially as a non-Platinum/Titanium.
Have you had any luck with upgrades at SGS or stayed recently as Titanium?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 2:46 am

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Hotel is open but limited suites......

Currently the Sheraton Grande has only certain floors open which means a limited amount of standard suites. If you want a suite, I would just book it, there are quite low prices out there compared to the norm. As it was explained to me, due to the electricity and AC, they must open up floors in the "groups" that they are zoned, so one floor sometimes gets you 2 or 4....SGS is currently trying to balance the occupancy vs floors they need open, labour etc and therefore the amount of suites available for upgrade is smaller than the norm. Also, there are many Ambassador members traveling in Thailand these days, or just camping out With rooms below $100 (including all taxes and service fees) per night including all benefits, it is a no brainer. Come Feb 16th when next promotion begins.....I think it will be even busier. Unless you are a frequent guest or know someone, I would think upgrade chances are on the lower side. imho. At here again the other night....Great quality, low key location and Service with a smile. Both Richard and Robert came by and could not have been more welcoming. Healthy travels to all!
EuropeanPete and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 4:45 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
NYCtraveler thanks for the update, I was incorrectly assuming that with low occupancy my odds of suite upgrade would be high. Historically the difficulty in scoring a suite has been what's holding me back from staying more often ... for suites there are several other properties, I was hoping that 2021 would be different but maybe not.
NYCtraveler and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
Currently the Sheraton Grande has only certain floors open which means a limited amount of standard suites. If you want a suite, I would just book it, there are quite low prices out there compared to the norm. As it was explained to me, due to the electricity and AC, they must open up floors in the "groups" that they are zoned, so one floor sometimes gets you 2 or 4....SGS is currently trying to balance the occupancy vs floors they need open, labour etc and therefore the amount of suites available for upgrade is smaller than the norm.
I assume 10, which has the three Thai-themed suites, is still open. Do they have 32 and 33 open?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Also, there are many Ambassador members traveling in Thailand these days, or just camping out With rooms below $100 (including all taxes and service fees) per night including all benefits, it is a no brainer. Come Feb 16th when next promotion begins.....I think it will be even busier. Unless you are a frequent guest or know someone, I would think upgrade chances are on the lower side. imho. At here again the other night....Great quality, low key location and Service with a smile. Both Richard and Robert came by and could not have been more welcoming. Healthy travels to all!
I highly doubt both of that to be honest. Rates for Standard Rooms are around 2,430 Baht and includes a 1000 Baht F&B credit. Even back during normal times I never paid more than $110 before due to our corporate rate or BRG, obviously without the credit. But during these days the breakfast was much better which is shambolic at best right now. The hotel has an overall very dead feel. We stayed one night but not again, much better options available until some form of life returns to this property.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 12:28 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
I assume 10, which has the three Thai-themed suites, is still open. Do they have 32 and 33 open?
When I stayed a few days after the reopening only the lower 5 floors were open
not the 10th floor with the themed suites
With the resurgence of covid worries I doubt much has changed
Old Jan 17, 2021, 6:30 am

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
To answer what questions I can. I don't know what floors are open or closed at this time, all I can report is that there are most definitely some closed off. I was at this hotel in the lead up to Xmas and they were full and were apparently turning away customers, sold out online. The hotel was quite festive and lively in December with seasonal dinners and Jazz etc. I know for a fact, a big issue was the lack of suites for many who were long term/time stayers and the hotel was trying to figure out how to handle this as there are already many perks given and they had many Ambassadors in house vying for those as well. If it is any consolation, the hotel seems to really try to look out for their ambassador guests. Keep in mind that Thailand just went into a mini lockdown mode and hotels for the last 2 weeks have been relatively empty......sadly they appear to have given up many of their occupancy gains..The hotels that appear busy are the ones which sold nonrefundable vouchers to locals which expire, those are busy on the weekends. I will return in February to the SGS and report back. Safe Healthy travels to all!
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lovtofly3
When I stayed a few days after the reopening only the lower 5 floors were open
not the 10th floor with the themed suites
The 10th floor is the first floor with guest rooms. Below that is parking, then the spa.

I love this property, but like virtually all hotels everywhere, they will shall we say "deflect" when denying an upgrade in order to let guests down softly. "Sorry, we have very few suites available" is much more polite than "you didn't make the cut for the suite upgrade."
NYCtraveler and mcgahat like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 17, 2021 at 9:55 am
Old Jan 17, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
The 10th floor is the first floor with guest rooms. Below that is parking, then the spa.

I love this property, but like virtually all hotels everywhere, they will shall we say "deflect" when denying an upgrade in order to let guests down softly. "Sorry, we have very few suites available" is much more polite than "you didn't make the cut for the suite upgrade."
Perhaps like other properties EXCEPT if you're there for a multi-night and they say they may be able to ug you during your stay - they actually do f/u. AFAIK this is not required by the rules so just another example of them going the extra mile
Old Jan 17, 2021, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
Perhaps like other properties EXCEPT if you're there for a multi-night and they say they may be able to ug you during your stay - they actually do f/u. AFAIK this is not required by the rules so just another example of them going the extra mile
Oh absolutely, there are plenty of reasons this property has such a devoted following. I suspect we all have our personal stories about how the staff here has gone above and beyond for us.
NYCtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by estnet
I have been upgraded to a suite in the middle of a stay. They treat elites well here. I haven't been during covid but it did get harder to get upgraded to suites as so many elites stay here
​​​​​​. Overall, excellent treatment of elites though I find the hardware really outdated
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... The hotels that appear busy are the ones which sold nonrefundable vouchers to locals which expire, those are busy on the weekends. I will return in February to the SGS and report back. Safe Healthy travels to all!
Every single hotel will extend their Megatix or other (Spa) vouchers especially in light of the current "mini lockdown" that you mentioned. The expiration date on these vouchers is moot. I live nearby the Marriott Marquis and it's easy to see how full the hotel is based on how many lights are on at night. Right now the South Tower is completely dead again and the North Tower was approximately 40% illuminated this weekend. Indeed a lot of activity died down again, rates have become even cheaper however both for hotel stays as well as F&B. Marquis now sells their evening buffet for 999 Baht net SUN-THU.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Hotel email address

I just noticed that the hotel rep updated the email addresses in the wiki!
NYCtraveler, Pitero and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Every single hotel will extend their Megatix or other (Spa) vouchers especially in light of the current "mini lockdown" that you mentioned. The expiration date on these vouchers is moot. I live nearby the Marriott Marquis and it's easy to see how full the hotel is based on how many lights are on at night. Right now the South Tower is completely dead again and the North Tower was approximately 40% illuminated this weekend. Indeed a lot of activity died down again, rates have become even cheaper however both for hotel stays as well as F&B. Marquis now sells their evening buffet for 999 Baht net SUN-THU.
Marquis is now 999 net Sunday thru Thursday? Perhaps this is why we have noted the quality has hit bottom on our last 3 dinners....We certainly get what we pay for!
skywalkerLAX likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.