Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
I'm glad I could help and that you gave the SGS a chance to correct the oversight. If you need more fruit, just ask and I'm guessing they will oblige.
Have a nice stay. I'll be in the gym tomorrow around 1pm. Message if you want to say hi.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by yosithezet
No banana indeed!
No wonder you prefer to stay across the street!!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:57 pm
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
Originally Posted by UASPG
I went to Sala for breakfast, one of the most attractive feature of the SGS, but I usually go early. This time, I went after 8am and I did not like it much. The staff does not seem to handle well the service when there are more guests. I am afraid to say that the service was on the sloppy side.

The next morning, I chose to experience the executive breakfast at Rossini. What a contrast! The staff attitude was drastically different. The service was very friendly and attentive. I will be back at the hotel, just to go through that experience again. The Italian cheese offering should have some restriction as it is too sinful.
The ustencils offered to cut the cheese are cute, look authentic, but not very efficient and invite to mishandling with hand contact to other cheeses, especially when you try to cut the parmegiano. I saw a guest having major trouble with it and dropping a fairly good amount of cheese on the floor.

The Living Room

If the staff can't enforce a relatively respectful quietness from kids while there is a live performance, maybe, just "maybe", they should not be allowed during that time. On my last evening, there was a table with 2 kids, playing a video game on a smart phone. Not only, you were hearing the game during the piano play but the kids voices was so strident that you might have thought that it was on the speaker system of the room, sometime overpowering the sound of the piano. I really felt bad about the piano player, but, apparently, not the staff or the parents. WARNING: this might be a sign that I am getting old!
Dear UASPG,

May I thank you for your welcome comments. First, may I apologize for the sloppy service at the Sala. It certainly is not acceptable and our Director of F&B will speak with the associates concerned. As for the cheese cutter for the parmegano, an alternative utensil will be provided.

I fully empathize with you over the disturbance of children in the Living Room and elsewhere in the hotel. Although their parents are paying customers, they should be mindful that they are in a public space and they should ensure that their children behave in an acceptable manner. I have instructed our venue associates that if they are unable to obtain the appropriate co-operation and understanding of the parents to contact senior management to speak with the parents concerned.

With kind regards,

Richard

RICHARD
CHAPMAN
GENERAL MANAGER
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok
Dear UASPG,

May I thank you for your welcome comments. First, may I apologize for the sloppy service at the Sala. It certainly is not acceptable and our Director of F&B will speak with the associates concerned. As for the cheese cutter for the parmegano, an alternative utensil will be provided.

I fully empathize with you over the disturbance of children in the Living Room and elsewhere in the hotel. Although their parents are paying customers, they should be mindful that they are in a public space and they should ensure that their children behave in an acceptable manner. I have instructed our venue associates that if they are unable to obtain the appropriate co-operation and understanding of the parents to contact senior management to speak with the parents concerned.

With kind regards,

Richard

RICHARD
CHAPMAN
GENERAL MANAGER
Dear Richard Chapman,

Thank you for taking the time to prepare a reply to my comments and to address the minor issues that I had brought up.

Once again, you lived up to your excellent reputation with your guests, as well as with your peers.

Best regards,

"UASPG"

Last edited by UASPG; Feb 16, 2016 at 10:00 am
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
No banana indeed!
Dear yosithezet,

Our complimentary standard fruit set-up is based upon an average length of stay of 2-3 nights. Consequently, in order not to be wasteful, we provide a selection of three items, one of which is normally a banana. Since we service the room twice a day, we replenish twice a day if appropriate. As for specific fruit items, we are happy to provide this, and once we are aware of a guest’s preference it will be recorded in his / her profile and provided accordingly if in season. As for the absence of a banana, it must have been human error.

With kind regards,

Richard

RICHARD
CHAPMAN
GENERAL MANAGER
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:24 pm

Stay 3 nights or more and save up to 25%!

Rates from 4,620++ baht per room per night. Offer valid for stays completed by September 30, 2016.

Reserve Now
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG is all that's left.
I'm planning a SE Asia trip and have no idea what good deals for that time are. Staying three nights in Bangkok in May -- best rate I can find is 4,667++ THB and I haven't yet seen any BRG opportunities. Does anybody have some advice whether this is a good deal?

(I'm SPG Gold -- probably need to update my profile)
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:35 pm

I believe the days of unbelievable rates in the mid to high 3000's are long gone at least for the time being. The rates I've recently taken advantage at the SGS have been in the 4400-4600 range over 3 night average on third night free bookings. As a Plat with breakfast and happy hour provided as a benefit, those rates are quite compelling. Where else can you get all that at a top notch property for $150/night. As a gold, I'd urge you to examine the rate for the luxury rooms which include those benefits should they be something you'd wish to take advantage of. I believe the Premier rooms are inclusive of breakfast only.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyino07
I'm planning a SE Asia trip and have no idea what good deals for that time are. Staying three nights in Bangkok in May -- best rate I can find is 4,667++ THB and I haven't yet seen any BRG opportunities. Does anybody have some advice whether this is a good deal?
Most likely non-refundable, but it's a good rate these days.

-David
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:48 pm

I was finally able to try out the Platinum Exclusive Executive Breakfast at Rossini's.
My most recent stays have been fresh-off-the-plane and needing to get to Sala, hosting relatives who wanted the variety at Orchid or weekends when Executive Breakfast was not an option. Today was my chance!

I want to applaud Richard, Robert & Tawatchai for instituting and executing. Tawatchai was at Rossini's assisting his crew in all aspects of the Executive Breakfast with the exception of food prep.

Most of my mornings were spent at Sala where I enjoyed the relaxed tropical setting and fantastic daily breakfast service you find during the non-rainy seasons. The 2 mornings I dined at Orchid the hotel was at 100% or so it seemed and the elaborate breakfast buffet was packed full of guests with a line-up. While I gave up my tropical Sala this morning my discovery at Rossini's made up for it.

I arrived with about an hour left in the service clearly just past the peak. The tables were about 80% occupied and the staff was busy trying to attend to all the guests needs. Some guests got it, some guests didn't, some guests needed more pampering than others.

My impression of the concept was to order your main off the menu and then help yourself at the various stations. Others would ask the staff to collect the items from the various stations including slicing and toasting bread and requesting cheese to cut and plated for them. It also seemed as if there was a constant flow of guests that needed to be re-directed to Orchid.

The staff were oozing politeness and very accommodating. Their goal was clearly to deliver an exceptional service which they fell just short of in my opinion. One additional server or dedicated hostess would go a long way in my opinion. During the peak, the exceptional service the staff was trained to deliver was spreading them too thin. As we got closer and closer to 10am and the guests thinned out, the individual attention improved dramatically.

The atmosphere was fantastic. 5/5
The concept is awesome. 5/5
The food is at a higher level than Orchid or Sala. 5/5
The service while nice and polite leaves room for improvement. Once again this was situational and not reflective of any individual. 4/5

Pics Below

-Scho

Last edited by schoflyer; Feb 22, 2016 at 12:49 am Reason: Edited Links
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:13 am

Thanks for that review. Can't wait to try it next month.

-David
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:44 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Great review. Thanks a lot for that. The menu in the first picture/attachment shows the Executive Breakfast being charged for either 780++ or 980++. I'm slightly confused by this as Plats' benefits and the Suites already include the Executive Breakfast. Am I missing something???
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by sabdhabi
Great review. Thanks a lot for that. The menu in the first picture/attachment shows the Executive Breakfast being charged for either 780++ or 980++. I'm slightly confused by this as Plats' benefits and the Suites already include the Executive Breakfast. Am I missing something???
Yup. Couldn't figure that out myself. Perhaps if a Plat and an accompanying guest not registered to the room?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by schoflyer
... needing to get to Sala, ....
Yes, I know why you need to get to the Sala.
Originally Posted by sabdhabi
Originally Posted by schoflyer
Yup. Couldn't figure that out myself. Perhaps if a Plat and an accompanying guest not registered to the room?
I recently had breakfast in Rossini on two non-consecutive days. It's a very calm and relaxed atmosphere, quiet, and perfect for starting your day gradually and luxuriously. Very civilized and upscale. To me, it oozes luxury. Large tables which are not at all close together, large and comfy chairs, etc.

No need to repeat at length previous observations about the food, -- the quality is excellent. All hot dishes cooked individually per your request. Many items not available at Orchid Café, e.g., cherry tomatoes, basil leaves and a generously-sized round piece of burrata sitting in a little olive oil. Quite yummy.

That said, the selection is, as it must be, much more limited than the selection at Orchid Café. Not a problem. The staff is happy to go downstairs to Orchid and bring you anything you would like if it's not offered in Rossini. My personal weakness is banana bread (SGS has the best banana bread I've ever tasted, -- and freshly baked every day, too!!). I was looked after by two different staff members on the two different days, and when I requested banana bread with a couple of pieces of butter, both said that it would be their pleasure to get it for me, leaving with a smile.

Choice of Prosecco and Bloody Marys (included for PLT customers). Warning, -- the Bloody Marys have a fair amount of chili (maybe Tabasco?) in them. I'm sure that, forearmed with this knowledge, one can order a slightly milder version.

Regarding the listed prices, it's my understanding that a number of different types/classes of guests are invited to Rossini for breakfast during the week, including some suite guests, etc. I expect that the prices are for those who are not PLT or whose rate does not otherwise include breakfast. I would guess that the price difference is with or without alcoholic beverages.

All in all, the breakfast offering in Rossini is, IMO, an excellent addition to the F&B offerings at SGS. I will be there regularly.

N.B.: As of this writing, I believe that it is only open Monday through Friday. Sunday, of course, Rossini is unavailable due to the Sunday brunch, which spreads across the entire first floor.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I would guess that the price difference is with or without alcoholic beverages.
The menu states that the difference in pricing was the inclusion of a "hot dish cooked to order."
Today was a holiday so there was no alcohol served.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.