Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:48 am
Original Member

I have stayed at this hotel for over 20 years. I now prefer to spend a lot of time at the hotel in order to enjoy its vast array of amenities. You can order off any menu and be served in the lounge while enjoying jazz and free cocktails. Food is discounted 30 per cent as well. (Platinum aminity)

Quite frankly for the money in my opinion it might be one of the top hotels in the world. The manager, Richard Chapman is world class. It's not uncommon to see him bussing tables at the buffet in an effort to assist staff by setting a great example. He's one of a kind and I express my appreciation to him every time. Very few hotels experience such a high guest return rate and there's a good reason why this one does.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by fdemoulin
I don't understand people complaining about the lack of food. Drinks/lounge are not meant to replace dinner, just nice to have a drink prior to going out. I have seen some undignified sights in club lounges (especially in the US) where people grab all the buffet and pile their plates high to avoid paying for dinner.
Cannot understand why people need to eat so much and in a city like Bangkok surely you would want to eat out.
Anecdotal evidence shows that the SGS has more leisure guests, while hotels such as the JW Marriott have more business travelers – who like to avoid paying for dinner and keep their per diem stipends.

I'm at the JW lounge now, and there is a chef grilling up platter after platter of delicious salmon filets, chicken Tikka and tempura veggies. Plus there is fresh sushi, salads and soups.

I've talked with a lot of business consultants here who are sent to Bangkok for 30-40 days of work at a time. They love the "free" dinner, and choose this hotel partly because of the food.

Plus, as a lowly Gold, I was upgraded to their best suite today. I like the SGS, but I love the J.W.

YMMV.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by fdemoulin
I don't understand people complaining about the lack of food. Drinks/lounge are not meant to replace dinner, just nice to have a drink prior to going out. I have seen some undignified sights in club lounges (especially in the US) where people grab all the buffet and pile their plates high to avoid paying for dinner.
Cannot understand why people need to eat so much and in a city like Bangkok surely you would want to eat out.
Couldn't agree more. While I've occasionally used a lounge spread in lieu of dinner, the purpose is to provide a snack prior to dinner along with a cocktail. I too have seen some people take so much food from lounges, sometimes even back to their room that it's like watching pigs eat From a trough.

In a city like Bangkok, there are so many great dining options, from street carts to fine dining, not sure why people get so fixated about eating lounge food. The SGS itself has many nice options too, most of which can be served directly in many venues such as The Living Room.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by macabus
Anecdotal evidence shows that the SGS has more leisure guests, while hotels such as the JW Marriott have more business travelers – who like to avoid paying for dinner and keep their per diem stipends.
In the business world I work in (and I would assume is fairly common), per diems are "use it or lose it".
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:17 am

Moved out of the SGS. Didn't work for me. Thanks for making it appear as if I was a loud obnoxious North American who behaves like a pig, has no style, no manners, eats like an animal, and so forth. Simply coz I stated facts, i.e. that the SGS does NOT serve food for Plats, and it has no lounge. Period. Some like it, I don't. I hate not having at least one lounge like place which is quiet(!), where one can sit and enjoy a couple of drinks AND some food that deserves the name food, while not listening to irritatingly loud jazz music the whole time. Horrible.

To each their now. SGS is not my place and, for me, totally overrated. Moved somewhere else, different chain, pretty new hotel, different style and for me - total different league as well. Light years!

Flame on.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by mpclaw
I have stayed at this hotel for over 20 years. I now prefer to spend a lot of time at the hotel in order to enjoy its vast array of amenities. You can order off any menu and be served in the lounge while enjoying jazz and free cocktails. Food is discounted 30 per cent as well. (Platinum aminity)

Quite frankly for the money in my opinion it might be one of the top hotels in the world. The manager, Richard Chapman is world class. It's not uncommon to see him bussing tables at the buffet in an effort to assist staff by setting a great example. He's one of a kind and I express my appreciation to him every time. Very few hotels experience such a high guest return rate and there's a good reason why this one does.
+1. I've been staying at the Oriental for 25 years but switched over to the SGS around 5 years ago and have not looked back. It may not be as "nostalgic" as the Mandarin Oriental but as you say, they treat me very well. I've met Richard but Peeradej, the front office manager has taken care of me every time and I have never been disappointed. I'm actually on my way back next week and can't wait.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
The SGS is a solid hotel but it makes me feel old (room? decor? people?) so I prefer not to stay there

It's been three years since my last stay (even though visiting Bangkok a few times per year). The only good thing for me is the pool, location (I like the Asoke area; Terminal 21, Rod Fai Markets) and its connected to the BTS.

I was hoping to re-visit next month, I am even booked in, but it looks like that I will going to Ireland, instead of Thailand.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by macabus

Plus, as a lowly Gold, I was upgraded to their best suite today. I like the SGS, but I love the J.W.

YMMV.
Choice is a great thing, isn't it?

I wish it was still cat 5, so I could use my annual cat 1 - 5 cert there. But they bumped it higher unfortunately. (is it cat 6 now?)

The JW is a very nice property, but I don't like the lack of a direct connection to BTS or MRT, but for other things like the hospital it's convenient. Amazing that you got a suite upgrade .. you were lucky, I don't think suite upgrades are part of Marriott Rewards. It's got a great lounge, nice $$$$ steakhouse, views of Nana Plaza (haha).

The other Marriott at Sukhumvit Soi 57, Thonglor also has a very nice lounge. That one is still cat 5.

-David
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Choice is a great thing, isn't it?

The other Marriott at Sukhumvit Soi 57, Thonglor also has a very nice lounge. That one is still cat 5.
Yup, I'm heading to that one soon with my free 1-5 cert.

Their 3-story rooftop bar is one of the best in Bangkok.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Wow. Been so exciting here the last few days as I've been flying halfway around the world. Looking forward to happy drinks at Sala soon.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by alanslegal
The SGS is a solid hotel but it makes me feel old (room? decor? people?) so I prefer not to stay there

It's been three years since my last stay (even though visiting Bangkok a few times per year). The only good thing for me is the pool, location (I like the Asoke area; Terminal 21, Rod Fai Markets) and its connected to the BTS.

I was hoping to re-visit next month, I am even booked in, but it looks like that I will going to Ireland, instead of Thailand.
Wow thats it ? You dont like Basil ( one of the best Thai Restaurants in Bangkok ? Rossini, one of the best Italian restaurants in Bangkok ? The renovated rooms ? The free Jaz every night ? The sunday brunch ? The choice of 4 places to enjoy good quality cocktails for two hours free ? The free laundry ? the great breakfast ? and of course the wonderfull staff, expecially the consierge, bell boys, front desk.....and on and on, all due to the as mentioned world class GM !!

We do all have different tastes and its true if you pick any of the above ( except the staff and GM ) you might find a better this or that, but when the whole package is brought together, yes, I cannot think of another hotel that is better. I would actually love to try the Sukothai, but one every trip I find I cant do it, I fear I will have to wait for Richard to retire first, and hope thats a long way away !!

The only complaint I had was that yes, the rooms were due to be re done, but the public areas still look in good condition, warm and friendly atmosphere, quite an achievment for an old lady !!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
Wow thats it ? You dont like Basil ( one of the best Thai Restaurants in Bangkok ? Rossini, one of the best Italian restaurants in Bangkok ? The renovated rooms ? The free Jaz every night ? The sunday brunch ? The choice of 4 places to enjoy good quality cocktails for two hours free ? The free laundry ? the great breakfast ? and of course the wonderfull staff, expecially the consierge, bell boys, front desk.....and on and on, all due to the as mentioned world class GM !!
We're all unique individuals and have different tastes Specifically, jazz doesn't do it for me however aLoft's Levels does. Sunday brunch is good however many 5* hotels in Bangkok also present very good brunches too. Free cocktails are nice (for Platinum members), BarSu can be fun at those times but then again there are many bar options in Bangkok (rooftop, by the river,etc). Free laundry and pressing is nice but if we must wash something, bag wash down the streets are as low as US$1 per kg. Yes we have not dined at Basil but have heard it presents excellent thai cuisine. We try to go to Nahm everytime we are in Bangkok, does that count? We do not go to Bangkok to eat Italian so have not tried Rossini's either (despite how good the reviews are). Staff is very good but that's expected for a solid 5* hotel. (My reference to "people?" is to the guests who make me feel old) If you take away elite member status, you can put SGS and a dozen other 5* hotels in the mix where you draw out of the hat and you would not have a bad choice.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:29 am
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
Originally Posted by remymartin
The "Executive Breakfast" was also in place in Rossini's during New Year, no? Although around that time, I believe it was open for all.
Dear remymartin,

Just to clarify the Executive Breakfast at Rossini’s commenced January 18 only. At New Year it was used as an overflow of Basil. Our new concept is entirely different to what was offered at the beginning of the year.

With kind regards,

Richard

RICHARD
CHAPMAN
GENERAL MANAGER
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok
Dear remymartin,

Just to clarify the Executive Breakfast at Rossini’s commenced January 18 only. At New Year it was used as an overflow of Basil. Our new concept is entirely different to what was offered at the beginning of the year.

With kind regards,

Richard

RICHARD
CHAPMAN
GENERAL MANAGER
Great idea on the executive breakfast. I am not a Starwood person these days but you guys always do thing well at your property.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA- exp 8.2MM, SQ, DL, spg plat
Originally Posted by alanslegal

The hotel was just renovated so your room experience of 3 years ago will be different- fortunately the service is the same high standard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.