Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Deer Valley - Park City, UT [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Deer Valley - Park City, UT [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:53 pm

Can anyone explain the difference between The Residences at The St. Regis Deer Valley and the St. Regis Deer Valley? We accidentally booked a room at the former (residences) for later in the year, but I can't for the life of me tell if there's any difference. The rates for equivalent rooms seem to be a bit higher at the residences, but the features all seem to be the same. Any insight would be appreciated!
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:37 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by dr58
Can anyone explain the difference between The Residences at The St. Regis Deer Valley and the St. Regis Deer Valley? We accidentally booked a room at the former (residences) for later in the year, but I can't for the life of me tell if there's any difference. The rates for equivalent rooms seem to be a bit higher at the residences, but the features all seem to be the same. Any insight would be appreciated!
https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/02/23/...participating/

No room upgrades per the T&CS.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Interesting, thanks. We're on a paid stay and I'm currently status-less with Bonvoy, so the terms aren't a big deal. I'm more trying to figure out if there's a difference in terms of the room product, location, etc. I'll try calling the property to see what I can learn.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Parts of the hotel- especially the upper floors were sold as ownership condos that can be put into the rental pool. They are all decorated the same but the residences tend to be larger and the ones I have seen have kitchens.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by holocker
Parts of the hotel- especially the upper floors were sold as ownership condos that can be put into the rental pool. They are all decorated the same but the residences tend to be larger and the ones I have seen have kitchens.
Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Just booked, on points, for Jan 22-27, two rooms. We've been to Park City a few times although its been a few years, really enjoyed it, but since we're a family of skiers only, I figured time to check out Deer Valley this upcoming ski season and burn some more Marriott points. We'll have our own car while there, any thoughts on family friendly restaurants (kids are 9, 6, 4) we should be considering?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Since no recent reviews this ski season, figured I'd give my thoughts on our recent stay. As per my post above, we had booked 2 rooms for 5 nights on points. I'm a Platinum Elite (through the Bonvoy Brilliant card), Jan 22-27, which ended up coinciding with the Sundance Film Festival (not knowing it at time of booking). For what its worth, the hotel was completely sold out, and with Sundance rates, I think this may have been my most valuable use of Bonvoy points ever considering the 5th night free (800k points against a cash rate which would have been just over $25k). To be fair, I had booked this trip months in advance.

Once I realized the timing of our stay, I was quick to make dinner reservations way in advance, although since most of our meals were on-property at the St. Regis, and with 3 kids, we eat early (like 5:30pm / 6:00pm), and didnt have any issues. The hotel did reach out proactively a few weeks in advance, and I was able to confirm our rooms would be connecting, which was great. We also contacted the Executive Chef, as we are Kosher travelers, and arranged to bring some of our own food for the hotel to prepare (hamburgers, chicken tenders, hot dogs, etc), which was great. The butler service during our stay was very helpful with various small requests such as extra comforters, humidifiers, toiletries, etc. Overall, I'd rate the service we received before and during our stay a very solid "A".

As far as accessing the hotel, the funicular was cool the 1st and 2nd time, and then got a bit annoying thereafter, even for the kids. Thankfully we didn't use it that often since the hotel shuttle goes to the upper entrance, and we had our own car which we could pick up from the main lobby as well (and when we got in the 1st night, it was late and we were able to go to the upper entrance directly).

At check-in, we were upgraded to higher floor (6th floor) rooms which had decent views of the mountains and small balconies, although it snowed on and off during our stay so we didnt make use of the balconies. Rooms themselves were spacious, especially since the two rooms connected via a small interior hallway between the rooms which gave us some extra storage space that was very helpful. We had 2 queens in the 1st room which had a fireplace, and the second room was a single king (no fireplace). We found the furniture to be in good condition, bathrooms were very comfortable and relatively large, and we were able to add some rollaways for the kids so everyone had their own bed.

Ski Valet was amazing. So convenient to have Jans on-site for equipment rentals, and the ski valet there to help with boots and everything else, as well as taking gear to/from the shuttle as needed (ski school for the kids was at Snow Park Lodge). The convenience factor of this alone when traveling with 3 kids will make us come back again for sure.

As far as food, Rime was frustrating and good at the same time. We met with the executive chef (who we had communicated with prior to our stay) first night there, setup everything for our meals with our own food, etc., and the quality of food was great every time (breakfasts and dinners). But the service was SO SLOW. We were going nuts, especially since we'd have breakfast and dinner early, and often only 2-4 other tables were occupied. There was plenty of staff, but they seemed to just walk around aimlessly and almost intentionally avoided looking at tables to see if anything was needed. I ended up getting up from our table multiple times and going towards the kitchen during our various meals to get someone to bring us things like utensils or water or whatever. The St. Regis bar was fun for a night, and room service was good. Library Cafe was also a very convenient quick option for breakfasts after we tired of Rime. We did not try any of the other on-site restaurants. One thing that annoyed me at the end of our stay was the cooler bag we had brought our own food in was apparently misplaced/lost, even though I had labeled it and taken photos and provided to staff. As of now, they are still searching for it and said they would mail it to us if they find it (not holding my breath).

We chose the breakfast credit amenity, and it was applied unevenly each morning. At check out, was able to get it sorted out quickly and correctly, which was nice. Def. saved us quite a bit!

Did not use either the fitness center or the spa, as we were focused on getting as much time skiing and lessons for the kids as possible.

Kids loved the hot chocolate bar in the afternoons, and also making smores (which we did indoors, at the fireplace in the lobby, since it was single digit temps outside at night). Others (including adults) saw my kids making their smores inside and quickly followed suit. I enjoyed relaxing in the large lobby and getting a bit of work done once the kids went to bed each night, it was very pleasant and well laid out with multiple seating areas.

Apart from the St Regis, the wife and I snuck away for dinner 1 night and went to Mariposa; did the vegetarian tasting menu there, and we were just blown away. Park City itself was a mess with traffic and people due to Sundance, so we only went there once during the day, otherwise avoided it. Woodward Park for snow tubing was a blast as well. The actual skiing in Deer Valley was some of the best I've ever experienced in the 35+ years that I've skied (sorry, not having any snowboarders around was wonderful).

All in all, we loved the hotel. My wife is already asking how I'm going to come up with another 800k Bonvoy points for our next trip. What have I done...

Last edited by rajuabju; Jan 28, 2023 at 12:33 pm
Old Jan 30, 2023, 12:34 pm

Yes, skiing in Deer Valley is lovely. Sundance is a great time to ski

We were also there during the same time as rajuabju and I would echo the sentiments about Jan's on site and the Ski Valet - simply incredible and it made such a difference! We skied in/out straight from the St. Regis (which works for intermediates and above; once the new Burns lift is operational, it should work for beginners too - though not first-timers). The Ski Valet here is how it should be done at other ski in/out lodging. It sounds simple enough but apparently it isn't - yet, St Regis DV has it down! The folks at Jan's got us fitted incredibly quickly and then they took the equipment straight to the ski valet (win!). When we wanted to ski, we gave our name and they brought our boots out and almost every time, offered to help us put them on (win!). They took our shoes away in a tray (win!). They also set up our skis and poles on the snow outside (win!). When we skied back in, someone came out and picked up the skis/poles from us and asked if we were done for the day or going out again (win!). When we came inside, we gave our name and our shoes were brought out in their tray (win!). Almost every time, someone offered to help us get our boots off (win!). And then they took our boots away (win!). I think a key part of this came down to having plenty of staffing in the Ski Valet and Jan's. The equipment was great as well and we reserved the rentals via their website ahead of time and paid when we were fitted. The experience was so great that it carried some drawbacks which I'll get to below...

RIME was incredibly slow at dinner though the food (salmon, halibut) was pretty good. The chocolate cake dessert was fantastic. We did not have any special requests at RIME nor did we have any management meet/greet.
La Stellina (located across from the bottom funicular station) was pretty good as well.
RIME Raw (at the top of the Jordanelle Express and Mountaineer Express) was a great setup but understaffed so the service was slow. The guys were working incredibly hard so I hope management staffs this area better.
St Regis Bar - Their signature Mary was delicious! (The bar is always way too crowded lol)
Concierge - We inquired about some dining but they were not very helpful.
Fitness Center was great and there are complimentary waters here as well as in the Ski Valet

We chose the Plat breakfast amenity yet it was not applied properly and I had to mention it at checkout and then followup with a couple phone calls over the next few days. We did not make good use of the Plat breakfast amenity (it is $40 daily credit - must be used in the morning at the Library or RIME). It can't be used at the Boutique (except for days when the Library is closed).

We did not ask for nor speak to management about a Platinum room upgrade. So it was nice that we were upgraded to a Grand Deluxe room (a little larger at 460sq ft and with slopeside views) after booking the basic room on points. But the check-in experience was not great. We arrived early and had indicated that on the app ahead of time. It was understandable that the room would not be ready but the frustrating part was that the front desk refused to give any ETA on when the room would be ready (other than check in is at 4pm) or offer us a different room (I inquired about an un-upgraded room as we preferred to just be able to settle in). It was the attitude of one of the employees that really soured it for us - she was like a bulldog looking to fight as opposed to trying to help the customer. She said they had no way to know when the room would be ready because it is in a different system. Other properties have had no problem figuring this out. We made the most of the time and skied for a couple hours (we asked for a key to the fitness center to change). BTW, the bell hops were also amazing and they were the ones to suggest using the fitness center to change! We were eventually texted around 4:15pm that our room was ready.

We were celebrating a couple birthdays and mentioned this on the form before our trip. We received some nice treats and cards signed by the staff.

There are timed windows for Tea/Coffee in the Lobby as well as another window for the Hot Cocoa Bar (3pm-5pm). For a luxury property, I would have expected these things to be available all day long. It would have been nice to have some tea while waiting for our room but there was nothing available in the lobby area. We did the smores outside one evening and it was nice. We watched the champagne sabering (5:30pm) once and that was nice as well. I think the $50 daily resort fee is for the Hot Cocoa/Smores/Champagne and the Shuttle service (which we did not utilize - it seemed to be incredibly busy).

I provided much of this same feedback in the survey and received an email full of platitudes.

I mention the negative aspects above so that folks can adjust their expectations accordingly. It is a great hotel and location and it is definitely deserving of it's 4 star rating. After playing this game for while, it is all about managing your expectations. We had an excellent vacation and might return in the future.
Intl359Widget likes this.

Last edited by Billy Bandit; Jan 30, 2023 at 12:39 pm
Old Jan 30, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Glad to hear it sounds like the ski valet is getting their act together. We had a stay in early January and it was a complete mess. Our skis were misplaced a couple times going from the top to bottom and vice versa and the mornings were pretty much chaos each day. There were always 5 or 6 staff standing around, but with the exception of one super helpful gentlemen no one else ever proactively offered assistance with shoes, boots or skis. You always had to walk up and ask for your skis, assistance, shoes, etc. It was the worst experience I've had with the ski valet in 10+ years of coming to the hotel.

There were also some events at the Vintage Room and hotel a couple of nights that created long delays at the funicular. One night it took almost 45 minutes to get up to the hotel after picking up our kids from ski school and the line was down the stairs to the bottom level. The other night it took over 15 minutes to get down for dinner. I'm glad the hotel is a hot spot in the evening, but on busy days they need to have a separate line for hotel guests.

For the positives, both RIME and the bar were excellent and the RIME seems to be doing a much better job of holding reservations for hotel guests on busy weekends. Last year, we were only able to get a reservation after begging, but on this trip they offered us pretty good times on any night we wanted a few days out. They also started setting up a bar in the library on weekends, which was a great option with the kids since the bar is 21+ and the mountainside terrace is often packed. The new F&B manager has done an excellent job in the past couple of years. It also seems like they are doing larger pours of alcohol now on martinis and other mixed drinks. The miniature martini glasses seem to be no more.

It also sounds like they might start some room renovations in the near future. It was a little unclear but they were working on the room next to us and it sounded like they were testing some renovations from talking to a couple of the staff members going in and out. Although it's possible they could have just been doing some repairs since I didn't see anything official.
Billy Bandit likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Rime is the third attempt at a dinner venue at the St. Regis since it opened. I have been to dinner at all of them and have not been impressed.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott, United, Jetblue
Anyone had any issues booking award redemptions here?, it shows availability when you browse the monthly calendar for 1 night flexible booking. Shows plenty of availability, but when you go to make booking of 5 consecutive nights it only gives a cash rate.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott, United, Jetblue
Originally Posted by Ken C
Anyone had any issues booking award redemptions here?, it shows availability when you browse the monthly calendar for 1 night flexible booking. Shows plenty of availability, but when you go to make booking of 5 consecutive nights it only gives a cash rate.
NM, seems to be a app issue. Able to book via desktop
Old Jul 5, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Going tomorrow for six nights. Worked so hard to get Starwood Platinum for Life only to have it so devalued by Marriott, who will now give it away if you get the right credit card! That said, I was surprised and shocked to check my reservation online and see I had been upgraded to a 1 BR Suite. Very much looking forward to it.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 10:05 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Wow - what a place! As I wrote above, we were upgraded to a 1 BR Deluxe Suite - gorgeous. We have been treated incredibly well as Platinums. Each day they bring us a cheese plate and a bottle of wine. Today we also got a bottle of champagne. Nice $50 credit for breakfast. The staff is uniformly charming and helpful. took a hike today guided by an employee and it was wonderful. The shuttle is a great plus to go around the area. Yes, it's expensive but truly a magnificent place and so happy to be treated so well in recognition of my previous loyalty.
dcmike and platbrownguy like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
Have been going the last week in August for the past 10+ years. Incredible time to be out there.

Just got the upgrade to the suite with a kitchen again. Batting a 1000 here.

Always a great visit. Last time, funny incident, bought a couple of pullovers from gift shop and did not get the 20% Plat/ Titan discount. Since purchase was over $500, I inquired.

Front desk said no such thing. Millennial relative pulls it up online and shows it to them.

They politely (but disbelievingly) ask what site that is. He goes "your website". Discount applied.

Pro tip: I don't like to valet below with the funicular, so enter from the highway and security booth always lets you pass. When leaving hotel you can depart through the HOA gate directly into DV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.