Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Deer Valley - Park City, UT [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Deer Valley - Park City, UT [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Arrow St. Regis Deer Valley - Park City, UT [Master Thread]

I used one of my free passes to go ski at Deer Valley today. I decided to take a run on the Deer Crest side of the resort to take a look at how the St. Regis is progressing. Good Lord - this place is HUGE! It's definitely the largest building in Park City by a large margin. I know it's a combination of hotel, condo suites, and private residences, but it looks much larger than it takes for that. Right now, it's totally wrapped in plastic so they can work during the winter on it. It's pretty darn isolated, so folks will have to either hole up at the hotel at night or take the funicular down the hill *yes, they have their own funicular* and call a taxi to get into town. It will be interesting to see the finished product.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:32 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by slidergirl
It will be interesting to see the finished product.
And I fear that it will be uninteresting to see the final price and SPG category to stay there.

Thanks for the info, slidergirl! Have fun!

(Free passes? )
Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I get free passes from my job. Unfortunately, they are not transferrable to anyone else.

I guess one of the big deals about the St. Regis was that the owner of Papa John's Pizza has bought the top floor of the Residences. At least, that's the rumor in town.

Yeah, I think this one will be one of the higher-priced St. Regis properties. Gotta keep the riff-raff out of Deer Valley, you know
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not that many units >
- 181 rooms/suites
- 67 1>4BR condohotel units (1509ft2 > 2764ft2)
- 26 2>4BR condo residences (1509ft2 > 3615ft2)

hotel facilities on floors 1>4

scheduled to open Aug 1

http://www.stregisdeercrest.com/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/stregi...ropertyID=1588

compared to st regis aspen >
- 179 rooms/suites
- 25 club residences (fractionals)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 12, 2009 at 8:22 pm
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
I heard at one point they didn't allow snowboarders in Deer Valley. Is that still the case??? I assume we fall into that "riff-raff" crowd
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:21 pm

Well Hello There gozetta,

That is correct. Deer Valley does NOT allow snowboarders on its mountains. However the neighboring Park City Mountain Resort as well as the Canyons do.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
Well Hello There gozetta,

That is correct. Deer Valley does NOT allow snowboarders on its mountains. However the neighboring Park City Mountain Resort as well as the Canyons do.
Deer valley is a shithole in my mind for not allowing snowboarders.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Deer valley ... not allowing snowboarders.
And I regret that I never made it out to Taos before they dropped their snowboarding ban.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Deer valley is a shithole in my mind for not allowing snowboarders.
And it's a paradise in my mind -- there is no place I'd rather SKI.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, spg, Delta skymiles, marriott rewards
Hey Canuck, learn to write with the Queen's English, you sound like a prime example of why certain upscale places exclude certain people.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Originally Posted by travelingtireman
Hey Canuck, learn to write with the Queen's English, you sound like a prime example of why certain upscale places exclude certain people.
Her Majesty the Queen would never condone this run-on sentence.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
not that many units >
- 181 rooms/suites
- 67 1>4BR condohotel units (1509ft2 > 2764ft2)
- 26 2>4BR condo residences (1509ft2 > 3615ft2)

hotel facilities on floors 1>4

scheduled to open Aug 1

http://www.stregisdeercrest.com/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/stregi...ropertyID=1588

compared to st regis aspen >
- 179 rooms/suites
- 25 club residences (fractionals)
It still looks huge compared to anything else around town. Good thing it's tucked into a hillside out of view or it would dwarf everything around it.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gozetta
I heard at one point they didn't allow snowboarders in Deer Valley. Is that still the case??? I assume we fall into that "riff-raff" crowd
No, not all riders are "riff-raff". Some of my best friends ride. DV always has projected this exclusive air to it. It was always a better dressed crowd, too. They still don't allow riders. But, hey, they actually have a slopestyle terrain park this year! I can't see them holding out much longer against snowboards with all the little kids taking up riding instead of skiing. It makes it hard on a family when Mom and Dad want DV, but the kids want to ride. It will be interesting to see if they keep bucking the demographics and keep relying on folks who just ski. In the case of the St. Regis, they better have a shuttle service available to guests who ride, or they will be missing out on some guests, I think!
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by slidergirl
In the case of the St. Regis, they better have a shuttle service available to guests who ride, or they will be missing out on some guests, I think!
It shouldn't really matter to the SR as long as there are enough skiers who are willing to pay the price to fill the rooms. And I don't think that will be a problem for them. If I were staying there, though, I would still want to sometimes ski at PCMR and the Canyons, too. I'm pretty sure that the St Regis butler service could make arrangements. And the website makes mention of a "Courtesy Luxury Car Service."

However, I'm perfectly willing to apply the same logic as follows:
In the case of the St. Regis, they better have Category 4 awards available to guests who don't want to spend all their Starpoints at once, or they will be missing out on some guests, I think!
Floor maps can be found here on the website. Most of the configurations are offered with a suite and a lockoff or two. It looks as if all of the lockoffs are regular hotel room style -- no kitchen. There is a mix of 1K and 2Q lockoffs.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 5:12 am

There is little doubt in my mind that the property will be a CAT 7.

Deer Valley generally ranks as the top ski resort in North America according to Ski magazine. They simply do not need boarders to scrape/sideslip their mountain and lie in the middle of the trails.

On an aside, Mount Snow dedicated their Carinthia area as a terrain park haven to keep the boarders and skiers somewhat separated this season. Yes, it was done under the guise of keeping the riff-raff away from the non-riff-raff. It will be interesting to see the results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.