Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisdeaner
Expert Review (posted in Luxury Forum) from Jan 2018 from Villa stay:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

Restrictions on the Acceptance of US Currency

Due to recent local regulations, the acceptance of US Dollars in cash is now restricted across Mexico. Payments with credit/debit cards remain unaffected. Please provide arrangements to settle your accounts and other expenses with a credit card or in Mexican Pesos. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause our guests.
FYI - the hotel also can't exchange USD<>MXN but they do have an ATM near the lobby (downstairs by the meeting rooms) that dispenses Pesos.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by david55
They only had lunch there and they visited other properties as well. Thanks for setting them straight even though they're gay.
qweens. 😉
Old May 23, 2021, 9:29 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List, National ES
When I stayed at the StR in 2014 kids under 5 ate for free. Is that still the case here?

Last edited by kpott; May 23, 2021 at 11:24 pm
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:50 pm

Has anyone used the babysitting here? I saw a post from 2019 that said they were great. Looks like the kids center is closed atm due to covid, I'll call and check if they plan to reopen.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Any recent stays that can report on transportation options once you get to the resort?

I emailed the concierge about airport transfers and the price is quite reasonable IMO. Plus I'd prefer to be picked up vs. deal with a rental car. But once we get there we'll want to go back and forth to the Four Seasons (friends staying there) and all they said was "we have no shuttle service but private transportation is always available in the lobby."

If there's a car waiting that costs $5 USD to take us back and forth whenever, that's fine and far preferable to a rental car. But if I literally have to arrange a private transport every time we want to wander over for a drink that's problematic.

They also suggested Mita Carts but at that point ($112 USD per day) we might as well just get a car at the airport.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 9:58 pm

I’m here now and I would encourage caution if you are considering a stay here. Things are not up to StR standards. It feels like a solid autograph collection properly at the moment. I was here six years ago and the property was fresh and exciting now it feels stale and dated. The resort was recently bought by new owners and there will be a remodel which is much needed but currently the resort lacks inspiration and lacks leadership.

The food (except for the Mita Mary Fish tacos on the beach and the poke bowls by the beach) was just plain bad. Had breakfast and dinner at their main restaurant sea breeze and each time was just ok. Kinda like food you would expect from a airport doubletree hotel. pizza was inedible, burgers over cooked, salmon super salty.

When I was here 6 years ago the splash pad was a big hit for my son. My younger son is the perfect age for a splash pad now so I was looking forward to it but the splash pad appears like it has been broken for years and there is no intention to fix it. When I asked about it the pool staff offered to turn the outside shower on for my son to play in …not quite the same.

The condition of the pool tile and other hard scapes is worse even than recent TripAdvisor reviews suggested. Everything is is such disrepair and fixed so poorly. It feels like they are putting off all repairs for the time being since they know a major remodel is coming.

Each morning there is a rush for pool and beach chairs near the Sea Breeze/Mita Mary pool beach area. There are only about 20 chairs by the beach and 20 by the pool in this area. It’s the most desirable because it’s the swimmable sandy beach. Each day there were large groups (multiple families, bachelorette parties, VIP groups) that would take 6-8 chairs. But the thing is these groups aren’t staying at the resort. They are staying in vacation homes nearby and they use this beach as their beach club. As a result resort guest fend and rush for the remaining chairs which get swept up close to 9 or 9:30. I thought this issue up with management who promised to set aside chairs for me the next day. I don’t think that really addresses the policy issue that they are prioritizing Incremental revenue over their in house guests.

I remember the breakfast feeling aspirational when we were here last time. However they moved the breakfast from Marietas outdoor dining area with ocean views to sea breeze with pool views. This could be a seasonal thing due to the summer heat. Never the less the food quality was diminished. It feels adequate but nothing noteworthy. They are sell a lot of breakfast included packages through Costco and so this meets the requirements but the a la carte entrees like the smoothie bowls and avocado toast are lacking in the execution. It’s like a chef drew up the menu but didn’t train anyone how to make the food and they make it however sounds good to them.

There are more issues like you can’t ever get towels and no pool service past 5 pm (sunset is at 8pm). Just know you are getting a 5 star location with 3-3.5 star food and 3.5 star service. I understand they sel discounted packages this time of year so perhaps it makes the value proposition work out in the end for other guests. However for me I don’t see the St Regis luxury standards in hard product, service, policies, or food at this time.
Bravada04 and bizum like this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 6:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kpott
I’m here now and I would encourage caution if you are considering a stay here. Things are not up to StR standards. It feels like a solid autograph collection properly at the moment. I was here six years ago and the property was fresh and exciting now it feels stale and dated. The resort was recently bought by new owners and there will be a remodel which is much needed but currently the resort lacks inspiration and lacks leadership.

The food (except for the Mita Mary Fish tacos on the beach and the poke bowls by the beach) was just plain bad. Had breakfast and dinner at their main restaurant sea breeze and each time was just ok. Kinda like food you would expect from a airport doubletree hotel. pizza was inedible, burgers over cooked, salmon super salty.

When I was here 6 years ago the splash pad was a big hit for my son. My younger son is the perfect age for a splash pad now so I was looking forward to it but the splash pad appears like it has been broken for years and there is no intention to fix it. When I asked about it the pool staff offered to turn the outside shower on for my son to play in …not quite the same.

The condition of the pool tile and other hard scapes is worse even than recent TripAdvisor reviews suggested. Everything is is such disrepair and fixed so poorly. It feels like they are putting off all repairs for the time being since they know a major remodel is coming.

Each morning there is a rush for pool and beach chairs near the Sea Breeze/Mita Mary pool beach area. There are only about 20 chairs by the beach and 20 by the pool in this area. It’s the most desirable because it’s the swimmable sandy beach. Each day there were large groups (multiple families, bachelorette parties, VIP groups) that would take 6-8 chairs. But the thing is these groups aren’t staying at the resort. They are staying in vacation homes nearby and they use this beach as their beach club. As a result resort guest fend and rush for the remaining chairs which get swept up close to 9 or 9:30. I thought this issue up with management who promised to set aside chairs for me the next day. I don’t think that really addresses the policy issue that they are prioritizing Incremental revenue over their in house guests.

I remember the breakfast feeling aspirational when we were here last time. However they moved the breakfast from Marietas outdoor dining area with ocean views to sea breeze with pool views. This could be a seasonal thing due to the summer heat. Never the less the food quality was diminished. It feels adequate but nothing noteworthy. They are sell a lot of breakfast included packages through Costco and so this meets the requirements but the a la carte entrees like the smoothie bowls and avocado toast are lacking in the execution. It’s like a chef drew up the menu but didn’t train anyone how to make the food and they make it however sounds good to them.

There are more issues like you can’t ever get towels and no pool service past 5 pm (sunset is at 8pm). Just know you are getting a 5 star location with 3-3.5 star food and 3.5 star service. I understand they sel discounted packages this time of year so perhaps it makes the value proposition work out in the end for other guests. However for me I don’t see the St Regis luxury standards in hard product, service, policies, or food at this time.
Yikes....we are planning our first stay in January. Reviews like this along with the fact Mexico is still struggling with covid gives us pause.

A small " correction".... we bought a Costco package and Costco does not include breakfast.....only transportation.

Question: Are masks still worn around the property?
Old Jul 18, 2021, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Yikes....we are planning our first stay in January. Reviews like this along with the fact Mexico is still struggling with covid gives us pause.

A small " correction".... we bought a Costco package and Costco does not include breakfast.....only transportation.

Double yikes. We're headed there in September and actually picked the StR over the 4S because when we booked it was a little cheaper and actually appeared to be a slightly better property. Sad to hear it's not up to standard...but I think we're past the point of no return for our trip at this point. Our rate included breakfast and 4th night free.

One saving grace is we're only there 4 nights, and will spend at least one of those days playing golf. I know one of the courses is under renovation; hopefully the other is not in disrepair...

And, our friends are staying at the 4S so I guess if it's truly bad, we can just huff it over there to hang out.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Double yikes. We're headed there in September and actually picked the StR over the 4S because when we booked it was a little cheaper and actually appeared to be a slightly better property. Sad to hear it's not up to standard...but I think we're past the point of no return for our trip at this point. Our rate included breakfast and 4th night free.

One saving grace is we're only there 4 nights, and will spend at least one of those days playing golf. I know one of the courses is under renovation; hopefully the other is not in disrepair...

And, our friends are staying at the 4S so I guess if it's truly bad, we can just huff it over there to hang out.

a word of warning: I was told yesterday by a fellow guest that the 4s has asked for guests to stay at their own resort due to covid. Now I was able to go over there for an awesome dinner on Thursday but I am seeing now if they will let me go back because food at StR continues to disappoint. I think by September it may not be an issue with the covid policy though. It may be worth asking.
bizum likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 8:43 am

m

all staff are wearing masks everywhere. Guests is required indoors regardless of vax status.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 9:01 am

4s says no external visitors.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 9:51 am

Kpott thanks for your detailed review. This is quite disappointing to hear, we were planning a visit end of year (picked StR because we felt like it would be a reliable, solid option). Might divert the cash+points elsewhere especially if the food & hard product is that bad. Any other PVR Bonvoy properties worth checking out?
Old Jul 18, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Just got back from the W Punta de Mita. Had a great time and loved the property.

For the price it was a wonderful experience. Great food/drinks (amazing ceviche) and wonderful staff. The pools and beach also had ample seating.

One of the days we had lunch at the StR and found it to be extremely nice, but not worth the premium.

I would recommend checking out the W if considering the area.

​​​​.
bizum likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 1:29 pm

Today I met with the seabreeze restaurant manager, the outdoor manager and the director of operations. The director of operations is new to the post. He came from JW and RC Cancun. He has some vision for how to improve things and he is becoming aware of how bad things have gotten. He agreed that there are serious areas that’s need addressing and he presented a plan to the GM who gave him the green light. He promised more Beach and pool chairs. Activities in the family area. He wants to also do cabanas which I don’t necessarily agree is the need because that’s usually a chance to upcharge for reserved beach chairs area but it could be a better way to handle groups. He also wants to resurrect the mariettas restaurant to it former glory. He had also been here 5 years ago to see the place when Carl Emberson was at the helm so he’s seen how good this place can be.

they said the towels are limited in availability right now because they outsource their laundry and they have a limit on the number of towels they can send out because the company that does that has so many linens due to covid.

they also talked about creating a reservation system for groups coming from the vacation rental homes nearby. This would allow them to staff things like the 10 person bachelorette party that just dropped in on them unannounced yesterday. Apparently the agreement is that any vacation rentals can just use the beach area whenever.

I feel like things will turn around somewhat as this new operating plan is implemented but also at any point they are starting a remodel. I would watch TA reviews closely to see if things get better.

I have not tried the W but I understand they added a second pool there.

If you have HIlton points to burn, the reviews of the Conrad Punta Mita seem phenomenal.
bizum likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Any recent stays that can report on transportation options once you get to the resort?

I emailed the concierge about airport transfers and the price is quite reasonable IMO. Plus I'd prefer to be picked up vs. deal with a rental car. But once we get there we'll want to go back and forth to the Four Seasons (friends staying there) and all they said was "we have no shuttle service but private transportation is always available in the lobby."

If there's a car waiting that costs $5 USD to take us back and forth whenever, that's fine and far preferable to a rental car. But if I literally have to arrange a private transport every time we want to wander over for a drink that's problematic.

They also suggested Mita Carts but at that point ($112 USD per day) we might as well just get a car at the airport.
it was $8-$10 US to go each way to 4seasons. Cars are always there waiting. Big suburban. I think it’s the same fare to go into town. They will come get you too to come back if you text your butler.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by bizum
Has anyone used the babysitting here? I saw a post from 2019 that said they were great. Looks like the kids center is closed atm due to covid, I'll call and check if they plan to reopen.
i found a babysitting through Nayarit Angels service that worked great. 23 per hour for three kids. Three hour min. Also Sayulita babysitters is another one who will come to resort.

kids club is closed like you mentioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.