Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR Plat Premier, Nat'l Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond
NYC Marquis Elevator Issue

Mrs Hazmike & I were at the Marquis (Times Square) this weekend. Nice hotel, great location, new Revive bedding, but the elevators are the huge drawback. We waited most times up to 20 minutes for a ride up or down.

The hotel was booked up like it normally is...the GMs office estimates that it could be two more months before all 14 elevators are working. This weekend 6 were working...what a bummer. The upside is that you can take an escalator from the ground floor up to the 9th floor, but still have to find an elevator to go up from there.

I found that by getting on a car going up from my room on 34, sooner or later I'd get to the bottom.

Just know ahead of time that you need to build in the wait time before you leave, gawdforbid you forget something in the room & have to go back.

We'll stay there again but not in the next two months.

Mike
Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:17 am

We have stayed at the Marquis since mid 80's when it first opened. There has ALWAYS been an elevator issue.

Great location, but over the years we have stayed at the Righa and the East side location just to avoid the stress of the "elevators".

Dash
Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
This is why I never stay at the Marquis. I go to NY every week. I dont like to be in a crowded hotel. and they never upgrade me to a large room. I just got back from NY on Friday and stayed at the new RI on 6th AVE. that is my new favorite Marriott hotel in NY. I love the free full breakfast and the evening recption. They treat their plat's with alot of courtsy and reward them with good upgrades.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The elevator issues at the Marriott Marquis are infamous. It's the one aspect of the hotel that I have always found annoying. And if there are a bunch of kids playing in the elevators, it can be a truly long wait.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Stayed at the Marriott LGA on my last trip to New York, but we had to check out the Marquis to see what all the fuss was about. Took a while to figure out the whole elevator system, much less get a ride, and we were only going from street level up to the lobby and vice versa. I'm not sure I would ever stay at this hotel - Category 7 all for location.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
Last time I stayed at this hotel was during New Years Eve a few years ago. After the ball drop, we looked at the elevator queue, and decided to walk around for another hour or so before going back to our room.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:55 pm

Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
If you must be in the Times Square area and must be in a Marriott full service property, do yourself a favor and try the Renaissance.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:48 pm

Wasn't there a JW Marriott option in NYC that was called the Rhiga? Is that gone?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:06 pm

The Righa is no longer a Marriott

Dash
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:12 pm

Smile Courtyard NY Manhattan TS South Won't Allow 4 People in Room?

Just trying to make a reservation for my wife and her "gals weekend" in NYC this March.

Last September she and three friends stayed at Courtyard Marriott TS South in room with 2 double beds (4 of them) with no problem.

Now when I try to make reservation it won't take more than 3 people which is kind of odd to me?

Do you think if four show up and share three keys there would be any problem? Seems kind of strange to me as they did this just a few months ago.

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Ave. you can stay four to a room but rate isn't as good?

Any thoughts? As always, appreciate your insights.

Toronto Traveler
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
My guess would be it's fire code and that's legally the max # of people they can allow in the room

Last edited by bdschobel; Feb 23, 2006 at 6:50 am Reason: no need to quote entire previous post
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
It's strange that one hotel will allow four people in a room while another allows only three, in the same borough of the same city, under presumably the same fire code. But what do I know about fire codes?

I have no doubt that a fourth person could be smuggled into the room without any problem -- and I would do that without any hesitation, fire code or not. Just my 2 cents.

Bruce
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In NYC the code for the number of people who can "live" in a room is based on the size of the room. So different rooms in the same hotel could have different capacity. But, I doubt that it is a fire code issue that is driving this. My guess is that the property just wants to sell more rooms.

I agree that bringing the fourth person in probably won't matter at all.

S.

Last edited by bdschobel; Feb 24, 2006 at 6:01 pm Reason: no need to quote entire previous post
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Not to minimize the importance of safety, but fire codes just so happen to also have the effect of giving the hotels an excuse to sell more rooms.

I agree that if you insist on having four in a room it should be doable. Just understand that New York hotel rooms tend to be small, so it might be a rather "cozy" experience.

I'd have two suggestions. First, if someone in the group has status with Marriott, see if they can "pull rank" and request an upgrade to a larger room, if not a suite. (and naturally let them be in charge of doing the reservation.)

Secondly....If you're skittish about breaking the three-to-a-room rule....just don't all show up at once when checking in.

Have fun!
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA, DL, AA
What size bed is in the room? Typically hotels only allow 3 people on a room with a king bed and 4 people in a room with two double or queen beds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.