Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:04 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I have stayed at both the Marquis and The Renn. Both are nice but very different. The Marquis has larger rooms and a more active feel to it. Concierge lounge is okay but nothing special.

The Renn has a boutique feel to it. Rooms are smaller than the Marquis but still nice. The comp. breakfast in the restuarant for golds and plat.'s is outstanding.

So if you want a feeling of hustle and bustle stay at the Marquis. If you want a more sedate experience the Rennaisance would be my choice. I have never stayed at The East Side so I can't comment on it.

--Jon
Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:50 am

Programs: United No Status Anymore, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Blue
FYI, there are some M11 rates at the Marquis for 2006 (you must book by the end of this year) for only $219 - I thought this was pretty good for NYC.

Last edited by GoCubs; Nov 17, 2005 at 7:57 pm
Old Nov 17, 2005, 4:19 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Marquis has the worst and slowest elevators on the planet. Beware
Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:15 pm

Just stayed at the Marquis for the Country Music Awards. The hotel was at capacity and had staff showing people how to use the new elevators. I'm sure they are super cool and work better than the old but the guests and vistors don't understand them which causes traffic jams in the elevator area. (You have to select your floor BEFORE getting on the elevator. As you do a display tells you which elevator will be yours. Once on there's no changing your mind!)
Old Nov 20, 2005, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
NYC Marriott Marquis Mini-Trip Report: 11/15-17, 2005

I was attending a convention at the Jacob Javits center in Manhattan, and Marriott Marquis was the convention hotel (rate: $249). Thank goodness I looked in the convention rate - CMA Awards, along w/ other conventions, had room rates at $500+ at all the major chain hotels. My client didn't book in time, & ended up at the Red Roof Inn for $250!

Since this was a smaller client w/ limited budget, decided to take the airtrain/subway combo into & out of Manhattan ($7 total each way).

Airtrain at JFK to Jamaica Station and catch the E train to 42nd Street/Times Square. Took a bit longer than anticipated due to 'subway traffic congestion' (ie, subway rush hour). Doing reverse commuting into the city though meant I had a seat the entire way, & couldn't beat the price (MTA takes cc, debit as well as cash). Came out of the subway station at 44th & 8th, and then walked over & up 1 block to the Marriott (45th & Broadway).

As folk know from prior threads, the elevators have been an issue at the Marriott Marquis. Well, that problem's now been solved w/ their new elevator system. It's pretty cool actually, and I never waited more than 1-2 minutes.

When you go to the elevator area you press the floor # you're on (or the lobby floor, etc) on the keypad, & the display will light up & direct you to a particular elevator (A, M, N, etc). When that elevator door opens, you just get in. No additional buttons to push - it's been programmed in to stop at your floor. On the inside next to the door is a vertical display showing which floors it will stop at/been programmed for. They have staff at the 1st & 8th floor to explain how the system works if there's any confusion.

Check-in was quick. Plat status recognized & plat gift choice made (points; not in room enough for other stuff).

Asked at time of check-in if I wanted the set fee rate ($12.95) for internet, local & long distance calls, as they program it into the system at that time. It's a noon-noon thing. I wasn't sure how much time I'd be on internet due to activities, so I declined. But was told if I changed my mind to call down & they'd set it up. As it turns out for my stay I ended up only checking email 2x very quickly in the morning, and it was cheaper to use the local dial-up. It was $1.20 for local call & think .02cents/minute up to 60 minutes after 'x' minutes.

I had room 3628, which was nice. It's set back a bit (I think it looks down upon the health club), so blessedly I heard zero street noise (thank goodness; that's my biggest pet peeve re: NYC hotels). King size bed w/ Revive bedding, couch, chair, ottoman, coffee table, desk, tv. Looks like the rooms have been renovated w/ new fixtures, bedding, furniture.

Met cordelli&mrscordelli & seeya for dinner. We went to an Italian restaurant on 46th street just past 8th Ave on the right side. Restaurant Rivista. I've eaten there in the past & like it.

Afterwards, seeya and I had drinks in the bar (the front one overlooking Times Square). It was quite crowded because of the CMA Awards. They were on the telly above the bar, and evidently there was some after party or CMA event at the hotel because there were a # of people w/ 10gallon hats, tuxes, cowboy boots etc & their dates in the bar later. Decent wine list selection by the glass; think rates were $10-12/glass. Next night had a drink w/ a high school friend in bar, and it was quieter.

The executive lounge is quite large, and expanded/renovated. It's located on the 30th floor & stretches across the width of it. Very modern & a lot of plasma TVs set into various walls.

According to the card on check-in, services now include: registration, complimentary wi-fi, business needs, check-cashing, restaurant reservations, car service tours, maps & guides, airline confirmations. Entrance to the lounge is room key card activated. Lounge access is limited to 2 people per guest room, and children 16&under must be accompanied by an adult.

Concierge Lounge Hours:
Mon-Thurs: 6:30am-10pm
Fri: 6:30am-2pm
Sat: Closed
Sun: 5pm-10pm

Continental Breakfast:
Mon-Fri 6:30am-9:30am

Hors d'Oeuvres
Sun-Thurs: 5pm-7:30pm

Concierge Bar:
Mon-Thur: 4pm-9:30pm
Sat: Closed
Sun: 5pm-9:30pm

I only made it to the exec lounge in the morning both days, so can't say what the hors d'oeuvres were like. But their idea of a continental breakfast & mine are different, and theirs is better! I thought it was just going to be some rolls, oj & coffee. They had scrambled eggs, lox & bagel, cereals, toast, yogurt, fresh juice, bottled juice, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, sodas.

There are different restaurants and shops in the hotel, but I didn't make it to any of them on this stay. I had intentions of making it to the huge health club w/ full roster of equipment, but 2 late nights did me in for the early morning workouts. I can't remember if health club is 24/7 or early morning/late night hours.

Check-out was quick. I left my luggage w/ the bellman on the 8th floor before heading to the convention center on the last day. Pick-up is on the 1st floor at the outside bell-stand. They say to allocate 5-10 minutes.

All of the staff: bellman, security, check-in, elevator staff, maids, exec lounge - were very friendly. I figured there'd be a sour grape in there somewhere, but they were uniformly friendly.

I'd certainly recommend this hotel for others looking for a Manhattan hotel.

Cheers.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 9:38 am

I was there for the CMA's and was quite pleased with the service. The concierge lounge was comfortable and the food pretty decent. Once you get over the drink prices that is

On a side note, I was very impressed with teh Marriott's catering services. There was a after party for the CMA's on floors 6 & 7 with several hundred (perhaps thousand) people. The food was extremely good and plentiful. Not your usual cocktail party stuff.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 1:49 pm

Programs: NW, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by flyerwife
BowdiKa,

Have you used the kiosk to check in? How did it work? And were you able to request or see an upgrade as Platinum?

The last few visits to the Marquis, the new elevator system was operational. There was always a 'matron' there to guide your button selection. The new system was a VAST improvement over the old one. Is an employee still stationed there to assist?

To take this off topic - I've never used the kiosks - I usually try to get an upgrade or a corner room so I'm not sure you can do this on the kiosk. I also pay with 2 credit cards and the kiosk can't handle it how I want to do it.

Back on topic - there is still someone stationed to help people with the elevators on the 1st and 8th floor. Some people needs lots of help !!
Old Nov 21, 2005, 3:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I can't really speak to either hotel from a lodging perspective, but, living in NYC, I can't imagine ever staying at the Marquis. While the Ren is right in Times Square, the Marquis is actually in the middle of TS. If you're looking to do any walking, there are very few more discouraging experiences then trying to make your way through the herds of people in Times Square. With the Ren, you at least don't immediately exit into massive crowds of people walking, selling, drumming, yelling and dancing. I can see how it would be fun to see, but I've gotta imagine that you can still get the experience of TS while staying around the corner from the madness. If it was the Ren vs. the Marquis, just from a locational perspective, the Ren would be my choice hands down.

RE: the Financial District Marriott, I probably wouldn't stay down there as a tourist. Tribeca isn't super far away from the Financial District - there are some great restaurants and bars down there. You'd also probably be able to walk to Chinatown. Tribeca, Soho, Chinatown, the Village - those are my favorite neighborhoods in the city. But, if you stay down there, you'll likely miss all the lights and action of Times Square, plus you'll be far away from Broadway shows, Central Park, the Plaza hotel, etc.

Good luck on your decision and have a fantastic trip!
Old Nov 21, 2005, 4:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta Million Miler, Hertz President's Circle
Smile Marquis Trip Report

SkiAdcock,

Thanks for the update. I am Plat Premier and I have not been back to the Marquis since early this year. I always liked the concierge lounge and I am glad to hear that it looks good after the update.

The elevators of course have always been the biggest issue. I was there when they were in transition and it wasn't pretty. I am looking forward to a stay there in two weeks. It's been a long time but no matter how long I stay away, the Concierge staff and Katen (sushi bar) always manage to recognize me.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The elevators at Marquis are no longer an issue!

Here's a trip report from my stay 11/15-17/2005:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495074

I'd certainly stay at Marriott Marquis again...Cheers.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:02 pm

Programs: NW Gold, MR Silver, AA, UA
Originally Posted by tcook052
Don't forget www.tripadvisor.com
http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=NYCES

This hotel actually ended up being very nice, basic, but extremely clean and friendly. Much better than the full-service San Jose Marriott I stayed in the next week. I'll post both on tripadvisor.com as well.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Anyone stay at Residence Inn Times Square?

delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 15, 2007 at 8:21 am
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:07 pm

http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=NYCRI

Opening in December 2005
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:50 pm

My next door neighbor is staying there next weekend (at the low price of $450, the best she could do in NYC for that weekend )....I'll be sure and get a review!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:52 pm

It's at 1033 Avenue of the Americas (which New Yorkers refer to as Sixth Avenue) at 38th Street (and it's brand new construction, not a building overhaul).

The southern boundary of Times Square would be at 42nd Street and Broadway which is a good (but doable) walk from it.

You might want to consider other properties.

Two (Marriott Marquis and New York Renaissance) are smack dab in Times Square and there's a CY on West 40th Street that would be a somewhat shorter walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.