Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lsugolfer

I thought I was pretty clear in looking for some suggestions as to their preferred hotels on the list for a one-night holiday stay.
Not really. Your question was about as generic as one could get. You didn't mention if it was award or paid, if you wanted a certain area & why, whether lounge access was important, if it was you alone or with family, etc. Providing details usually garners more detailed responses to the person asking @:-)

Originally Posted by tcook052

As to how much difference there could be between 7 different hotels for a one night stay I'll leave that to others to comment but wouldn't think so short a stay would require too much scrutiny.
Agree, at least w/o more details given.

Cheers.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Not really. Your question was about as generic as one could get.
Perhaps because I was looking for a broad spectrum of responses? I was hoping that someone would mention a recent stay at one of the properties and their opinions on their time.

You didn't mention if it was award or paid
Not sure why this would make a difference.

if you wanted a certain area & why
I mentioned 7 hotels in three different "areas". Wouldn't that tell you I was interested in any of those areas? That locations limited to that area wouldn't matter to me.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 2:55 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I asked it directly in this thread. I'm not going through 111 pages of reviews of over 45 hotels through the last 13 years.

I thought I was pretty clear in looking for some suggestions as to their preferred hotels on the list for a one-night holiday stay.
If you read just the last 3 pages, you get recent information with specific opinions on several hotels.

Perhaps because I was looking for a broad spectrum of responses? I was hoping that someone would mention a recent stay at one of the properties and their opinions on their time.

I mentioned 7 hotels in three different "areas". Wouldn't that tell you I was interested in any of those areas? That locations limited to that area wouldn't matter to me.
I will always give a specific recommendation of the TS FS because it meets my needs perfectly....but I have no kids, want the theatre district, could care the least about sightseeing, and get a fab upgrade every time I am there. The next 10 posters with different criteria will disagree with me. IMO, a recommendation without an understanding of the basis on which it is made is usually of no help to me.

Paid VS Award? In NYC you can count on getting what you pay for.

No, it tells me your interest is limited to those hotels.

Which I would rank~
-Marriott East Side
- Carlton
- CY Midtown East
- Renaissance Times Square

But for ONE night? All would be equal, it would come down to price.

And....
what's up with the sarcasm?

Last edited by sophiegirl; Jun 28, 2013 at 3:05 am
Old Jun 29, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: status free since 2017

Because you might be spending $600/nt at Ren TS vs $400 at Marriott CY/RI.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Because you might be spending $600/nt at Ren TS vs $400 at Marriott CY/RI.
Only if paying out of pocket. It hasn't been said yet whether it's an award or paid one night stay.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
I asked it directly in this thread. I'm not going through 111 pages of reviews of over 45 hotels through the last 13 years.
But the FlyerTalk management wants you to! (Sarcasm intended. I totally agree with you on this point. I HATE these bloated threads.)

As others have pointed out, the "New York" is a big area and the Marriott hotels can have a different vibe. For Midtown, I like liked the East Side in the past, but there is a new Residence Inn around the corner which I may want to try.

You can always read Tripadvisor.com for plentiful reviews of the properties you are considering that are sorted newest first (unlike FT).
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:31 pm

Programs: Ritz/Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, USAir Chairman, Aegean Gold
Suggestions on these hotels? One night weekend stay for the 4th holiday.

- CY Harold Square
- Marriott East Side
- CY Midtown East
- Carlton
- Ren 57
- JW Essex House
I stayed at the CY Midtown East recently. The rooms were newly renovated and quite nice. The staff was great and they have good weekend promos (m11 or m12) depending on when you go.

The Marriott East Side is also a nice property. I've never had a bad experience there.

I would stay away from the Ren 57. The rooms are quite tight and the hotel is a bit dated.

JW is a great location and property but it tends to be significantly more and may not be worth it

Good Luck!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sophiegirl

1. If you read just the last 3 pages, you get recent information with specific opinions on several hotels.

2. IMO, a recommendation without an understanding of the basis on which it is made is usually of no help to me.

But for ONE night? All would be equal, it would come down to price.
Agree w/ all of the above.

Cheers.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Suggestions on these hotels? One night weekend stay for the 4th holiday.

- CY Harold Square
- Marriott East Side
- CY Midtown East
- Carlton
- Ren 57
- JW Essex House
The above post has caused a bit of a stir. The poster seemed a bit defensive when indirectly queried if he/she had done any previous searching on their own as a base of info. An equally unhelpful response could look like this:

"Good
Not Good
Fair
Middlin'
So, So
Ok"

If you want details specific to your likes then you need to give details to what they are. If, after reading other reviews (tripadvisor, flyertalk, etc.) you still have questions to narrow your decision then ask those. Don't expect people to spend their precious time brainstorming and writing review pointers you're not looking for if you can't take the time to form a detailed post.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 2:55 pm

Hi all. I've been lurking for a bit and following various threads. At the risk of creating a similar stir, I'm hoping for some help in choosing a hotel for a 2 night pre-cruise stay, for a cruise from the Manhattan terminal. I will have two cat 5 certificates that I could use. Alternatively, I should have enough points by then for a cat 6 property. Obviously, I'd prefer to use the certs over the points, but will go with the points if necessary.
My primary criteria is convenience, which to me means proximity to subway stations. Breakfast would be nice but not required, and a decent/safe area. I'll be flying into Newark.

As of right now, I'm booked at the Fairfield Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station. Is this the best choice for ease of access via subway? I know there aren't cat 5 in Manhattan, but if you have suggestions for Newark or other locations, I'd love to near them.

Barring that, is there another category 6 you would suggest? Thanks for the help, ice looked through the thread as much as possible but it is rather overwhelming!

ETA- I'd consider going with a 7 if it was worth it, probably not more than that.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JPjava
My primary criteria is convenience, which to me means proximity to subway stations. Breakfast would be nice but not required, and a decent/safe area. I'll be flying into Newark.

As of right now, I'm booked at the Fairfield Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station. Is this the best choice for ease of access via subway? I know there aren't cat 5 in Manhattan, but if you have suggestions for Newark or other locations, I'd love to near them.
There are several Cat 4 properties right next to EWR (Springhill, Courtyard, Fairfield...) You could theoretically stay at one of those, use the hotel shuttle to get back to the airport, then take Amtrak to Penn Station. It would be annoying and expensive.

There is a Cat 5 Fairfield in Long Island City with a shuttle to the E line and another that's walkable. Those would be possibilities but again, annoying, because you'd have to get there from Newark. There's also an FI in Brooklyn at Cat 5 but it looks to be just as annoying.

Really comes down to how badly you want to use those certs.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:00 pm

Thanks! Would the Long Island and Brooklyn properties be annoying mostly because of getting from Newark, or also getting back and forth from Manhattan? Any other feedback on them?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:10 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Thanks! Would the Long Island and Brooklyn properties be annoying mostly because of getting from Newark, or also getting back and forth from Manhattan? Any other feedback on them?
The only one I've actually tried is the FI LIC on Van Dam. It's about a half hour to get across Manhattan. Figure 15 min on the shuttle bus then 15 min on the Subway. Maybe a little longer, if you have to wait for either. The Subway is actually an elevated platform and I'm not sure there was an elevator. So if you have a ton of luggage, that would be something to check.

Overall, quoting myself:
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Service was generally quite good. Crowd was mostly foreign tourists and families, and yet breakfast was very well stocked and everyone was hustling.

I had a separate reservation for the second night and that completely threw them off. Had a total of 7 calls and visits the second day to settle it.

Biggest problem was the poor wifi. Only worked about half the time. Not a signal strength issue; looked to be a bad connection going out of the hotel. For that reason alone, I wouldn't return.

Otherwise, it was about $100/night cheaper than the cheapest Marriott property in Manhattan. There's a shuttle bus to the subway so it's not too terrible but the entire neighborhood is industrial/sketchy. Ended up taking a cab back at night and both the driver and I became extremely lost.

Overall, it was fine but it would have to be quite a price difference to be worth it.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:19 pm

Thanks again!
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Hi all. I've been lurking for a bit and following various threads. At the risk of creating a similar stir, I'm hoping for some help in choosing a hotel for a 2 night pre-cruise stay, for a cruise from the Manhattan terminal. I will have two cat 5 certificates that I could use. Alternatively, I should have enough points by then for a cat 6 property. Obviously, I'd prefer to use the certs over the points, but will go with the points if necessary.
If you _really_ want to burn those cat 5 certs, there is the Renaissance Meadowlands in Rutherford, NJ (cat 5) and the Courtyard Lyndhurst right across the street (cat 4). There is a NJ Transit bus that stops right at the corner of these properties that can take you to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in about 20 minutes and from there you can get to the rest of NYC pretty easily. To get to these properties from EWR, it is about a $30-$40 cab ride (NJ has some strange taxi regulations) or less if you use a shuttle service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.