Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sleasure
Just stayed at the new RI/CY at the north end of Times Square (54th and B'way, I think) a few weeks ago. Room was nice, and large for Manhattan. Don't know that I would reccomend a romantic weekend with Mrs. Sleasure, though - it was a fairly basic hotel in most ways. But, if you are going to NYC there are plenty of reasons to leave the room. FYI, all diners / restuarants in Manhattan deliver, so don't order room service from the hotel. You can get a better spread for a fraction of the cost if you prefer to stay in. The presentation might not be quite as good, but the food quality will make up for it.

As someone who lived in NYC for most of my life, I'd advise you to pick the hotel based on location over anything else. Stay close to what you want to see/do/eat, and eliminate the need for a taxi hail. Those walks, even a few short blocks, in July city heat are killer.
My gf and I are staying there over 4th of July weekend for 3 nights. Do you have a contact for the hotel? Concierge or something?

I want to make a request for a corner room on the highest floor

What type of room did you stay in?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by alrvd83
My gf and I are staying there over 4th of July weekend for 3 nights. Do you have a contact for the hotel? Concierge or something?

I want to make a request for a corner room on the highest floor
Assuming you're booking the RI and not the CY (the RI is on the higher floors), the good news is that something like 5 out of 9 rooms per floor are corners. (It's an oddly shaped building.)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:14 pm

The biggest standard rooms are in the Courtyard Midtown East - it's a category 7. Their rooms with 2 beds are 410 square feet and also have a sofa.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bennos
Assuming you're booking the RI and not the CY (the RI is on the higher floors), the good news is that something like 5 out of 9 rooms per floor are corners. (It's an oddly shaped building.)
Yup we booked the RI as I assume it has the better views. Good to hear about the # of corner rooms. If anyone has a contact email for the hotel, that still wouldn't hurt.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
I'm looking at a stay in NYC 4-8 December.

I am considering the SpringHill Suites Midtown/Fifth avenue and also Marriott East Side.

SHS is coming up a fair bit cheaper for the weekend and seems to get pretty decent reviews, but I normally opt for FS Marriott's. Has anyone stayed at the SHS at all?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:59 pm

The Springhill suites is newer and nicer (and also includes free breakfast). Not sure what advantages Marriott East Side would have at all.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:59 am

I am currently holding two reservations for a two night stay in New York. One at the Marriott East Side and one at the Carlton Hotel - Autograph Collection.
The Carlton is $20 more expensive for the whole stay.

Has anyone stayed at the Carlton recently and report what I can expect as a Platinum member ?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Hi Mystery - I'm Gold not Platinum, but just posted this review of my stay at the Carlton a few weeks ago. There's a thread devoted just to the Carlton (which should probably be combined in this thread on all NYC Marriott-family hotels...) you may want to read.

High Level - nice hotel, I wasn't wowed by the service. Good if you want to be in that neighborhood, which is a little less crazy than the Marriott East Side location.

QUOTE=Brucemcdou;23044568]Recently stayed at the Carlton for four nights for business. Rate was $460/night IIRC. Had meetings nearby. Some thoughts:

Treatment as Gold: forgot to ask for an upgrade at checkin, and got the room I booked (a larger King room). Was acknowledged as Gold upon checkin and was given a voucher for Continental Breakfast in the restaurant. Was very underwhelmed by the Continental - very basic spread, all self-serve (including pick up your own napkin and silverware), which was set up in a separate area with a sign indicating it was for their Gold and Platinum members. Heard several other folks grumbling about how measly the offerings were. Which would have been OK if there had been any warmth from any of the staff/servers working in that area - not a single person said Good Morning or really made any eye contact in the four mornings I used the breakfast. Seems like a lost opportunity to wow elite guests or at least build a personal relationship with a captive group of Elites. Finally, as listed on the website there's no Concierge Lounge at the property.

Room: stylish boutique look - rooms appear to have been renovated in past several years. Bathrooms were nice but were clearly renovated in the last go-round - late 80's? Burgundy granite counters and shiny brass/gold fixtures??? Housekeeping/maintenance seemed pretty good, but the rooms and hallways looked relatively recently updated which can hide flaws in maintenance. Finally, no coffee maker in the room, a pet peeve of mine. Automated coffee available 24 hours in the business center on the lobby level.

Internet: wifi is free for all guests, so no distinguishing factor for Elites. Very spotty in the room so ended up using my Verizon account access.

Gym: compact but pretty well equipped. 2 Treadmills, 2 elipticals, 2 bikes, dumbells up to 30 lbs, one bench, a cable machine, one Swiss ball and one yoga mat. Was busy each morning I was there but five-six people occupy all the equipment. You have been warned.

Food/bar: didn't eat or drink there in the evening (had business dinners) but bar seemed popular and had nice live music. Restaurant overlooks the lobby and also seemed busy. Good menu, not expensive for mid-town NYC.

Location: convenient for mid-town, several subway lines nearby, many restaurants and shops within a 2-3 block radius. Special note for parents with children - Madison Square Park is two blocks away with a nice children's playground and lots of grass, trees, and benches. The playground was busy with happy children every time I walked by during the day time. Overall one to keep in mind if you have reason to be in that neighborhood.

Service: disappointing. For the price and the level of other features would have expected a more personalized level of service. Housekeepers and building engineers did not make eye contact and say Hello, the Doorman always seemed to chatting with his buddies or otherwise busy. See my comments on the restaurant staff in the Elite buffet. Generally had the impression that management was not on the ball and nobody told staff to be nice to the guests so they come back. Front desk interactions are the one exception - had pleasant, professional dealings from checkin to checkout.

Overall: If I'm on business I'd stay there again for a much lower price. If I were on my own dime I'd stay there again on points, but probably not if I were paying.[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:44 pm

Thanks for your report !

Since I'm only paying $120 a night, it won't be that bad. Still sad to hear, how they treat their Elite guests...

I'll let you guys know, how my stay was.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Better when they first opened when continental breakfast was a coffee, juice or water for you and a pastry. And that was it.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Question New York City Marriotts

My husband and I are planning to redeem a one week Marriott level 7 hotel certificate for a trip to NYC in May, 2015. The level 7 hotels that we can (theoretically) choose from are:
1) SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
2) Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square
3) Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
4) Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East
5) Courtyard New York Manhattan/Chelsea
6) Courtyard New York Manhattan/Central Park
7) Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park
8) Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side
9) New York Marriott Downtown
We would be doing the usual tourist things, including Broadway plays, and are comfortable with lots of walking and using the subway. We are Marriott Platinum and can take advantage of the concierge lounge if available at the hotel.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Search around here, I've read good things about #7. As a PLT, you must know the only C Lounge possibility is #9 but that will require substantial transport to just about everything. You might want to consider the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott since you don't mind the subways. I have a bias against Courtyards so I won't consider them...
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...d-threads.html
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Jan778
My husband and I are planning to redeem a one week Marriott level 7 hotel certificate for a trip to NYC in May, 2015. The level 7 hotels that we can (theoretically) choose from are:
1) SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
2) Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square
3) Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West
4) Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East
5) Courtyard New York Manhattan/Chelsea
6) Courtyard New York Manhattan/Central Park
7) Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park
8) Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side
9) New York Marriott Downtown
We would be doing the usual tourist things, including Broadway plays, and are comfortable with lots of walking and using the subway. We are Marriott Platinum and can take advantage of the concierge lounge if available at the hotel.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I recently stayed at 2) Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square and loved the location. I liked the Herald Square feel and it's a reasonable walk to either Times Square of the Flatiron District. Rooms are normal for NYC (ie small) and the hotel lobby is on the 3rd floor (or so). The staff was really friendly and helpful. I was only there for one night so did not use any of the hotel resources, but overall would stay there again when in the area.

Hope that helps
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

#1 is a block from #2 - smaller room footprint than a typical Springhill Suites - free breakfast - good clean hotel
#2 is a fantastic hotel, across from Macy's at 34th St, so good midtown location & has a great rooftop bar - new design & a great hotel
#3 has good design - is located near Penn Station - neighborhood isn't as touristy though
#4 has the largest rooms of all them - accessible to a couple of the subway lines & shopping
#5 can't say much, haven't seen it
#6 is in the same building at #7 (all one building) - but #7 is on the higher floors, so between these two, I'd stay at #7 as the views are amazing
#7 has amazing views from almost every room & free breakfast
#8 isn't touristy - pretty far from everything you want
#9 is the only full-service with concierge lounge - the corner rooms there are very spacious & it's a good hotel, near World Trade Center & downtown attractions, but subway to midtown attractions.

In May, I'd go with #2, #4 or #7 if staying a week (and actually #7 since they have mini-fridges & cookware in the room - you may not want to eat EVERY meal in a restaurant & have some snacks/leftovers in the room).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.