Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Meant to mention - USA Today was outside my door in the morning.

Cheers.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Glad to see decent reviews of the place (Algonquin).
Looking forward to a stay next month.
Are the suites decent size?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Pictures Posted

http://public.fotki.com/SkiAdcock/ho...uin-hotel-aut/

The first few were taken of the lobby at night & my camera isn't great at night shots, but if you click on the images to make them full size you'll see details. I especially like the mural detailing the famous "Roundtable" w/ Dorothy Parker, etc. Rest are of my room.

BTW - there's a 'quote' by Dorothy Parker posted on each room's door. Fun to go door to door to read them.

Cheers.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 5:27 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Thanks for the photos!!^

The bathrooms looked really tiny.

Did anyone notice the irony of them using the Hilton clock radio?

Since everything has been remodeled it looks like a nice enough property but would not be my first choice at $500/nt.(peak) or cat. 8 redemption.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:26 pm

Hi All, Just giving this thread a bump to see if there is any further feedback available from the FT community. I have a stay coming up in Feb and would like to know about getting suite upgrades at this property.

Has anyone been able to acquire any substanstial suite upgrades at this property?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta SM Lifetime, Hilton , Bonvoy Titanium
NYC Marriott hotels/rewards...

I searched forum and cant find it so can anybody recommend a good lower category for wife and daughter to stay whilst in the city? They are going on a shopping junket 12/28-12/30 and don't really care about luxury, but would like to be in the city and safe area.
Thanks!

Last edited by lively1nc; Dec 14, 2010 at 3:00 pm
Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Dates of their visit might get you better info. If they want to be in Manhattan I think the lowest cat they will see is a 6. At that level I would recommend the Marriott Downtown, in the financial district. Easy subway access, close to Chinatown and lower Broadway (which is a great shopping venue). Nice hotel with large rooms, an oddity in Manhattan.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta SM Lifetime, Hilton , Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dd992emo
Dates of their visit might get you better info. If they want to be in Manhattan I think the lowest cat they will see is a 6. At that level I would recommend the Marriott Downtown, in the financial district. Easy subway access, close to Chinatown and lower Broadway (which is a great shopping venue). Nice hotel with large rooms, an oddity in Manhattan.
Staying the evenings of Dec. 28th and 29th. There is a new Fairfield in Chelsa that was on the website at a 5 or 6?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
The Newark Couryard is a quick train ride into Manhattan. It is much cheaper than the hotels in Manhattan. The train ride is about 15 minutes and the station is right next door to the hotel. They just refurbished the lobby area. There is a mall right across the street.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
There are no really "lower" category Marriott properties in NYC proper. That, plus the fact that you will be there right before the New Year holiday means you will have to take the leftovers.

The Residence Inn on the Avenue of the Americas would be nearest the designer shopping in Midtown, but not exactly near. The Fairfield Chelsea is further away but would be fewer points.

For the absolute fewest points you would need to stay outside the city and commute in by train. The Couryard Newport (not Newark) Jersey City is just across the river and served by the PATH trains.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by keeton
There are no really "lower" category Marriott properties in NYC proper. That, plus the fact that you will be there right before the New Year holiday means you will have to take the leftovers.

The Residence Inn on the Avenue of the Americas would be nearest the designer shopping in Midtown, but not exactly near. The Fairfield Chelsea is further away but would be fewer points.

For the absolute fewest points you would need to stay outside the city and commute in by train. The Couryard Newport (not Newark) Jersey City is just across the river and served by the PATH trains.
That is the one I meant... I stand corrected.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 4:37 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by debua1k
The Newark Couryard is a quick train ride into Manhattan. It is much cheaper than the hotels in Manhattan. The train ride is about 15 minutes and the station is right next door to the hotel. They just refurbished the lobby area. There is a mall right across the street.
Newark is definitely more than 15 minutes from the City and definitely not a cheap train ride. Perhaps you mean the Courtyard Jersey City Newport?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: ICH Platinum, Marriott Gold
I just stayed at the Fairfield in Chelsea last week (the second night after it opened) and I was very pleased. It's actually a great location for shopping because it's right on the edge of the Garmet District. There's tons of accessory stores in that area with a huge selection of purses, jewelry, scarves, etc for really low prices. And it's within easy walking distance of Penn Station.

The only other Marriott I've stayed at in NYC is the Fairfield on 37th. It's a nice hotel, right off 5th Ave and near lots of shopping, but it's "5th Ave" shopping, so pricier. I preferred the hotel in Chelsea and will definitely stay there again.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea [Master Thread]

This is a new hotel that just opened on December 6, 2010. I checked in yesterday and wanted to share my review of the hotel.

The hotel is located on the same block of W. 28th Street as the Hotel Indigo and Hilton Garden Inn amidst many wholesale florists. The lobby is fairly small with just a few chairs. I was greeted warmly by the front desk clerk. As a Gold, I inquired about an upgrade and snagged an Executive King on the 16th Floor. The hotel has 18 floors plus a penthouse.

The room is better than average size for NYC. The decor is quite attractive with light brown (sand) wallpaper and carpeting and black furniture.

It also has a large sliding glass "balcony" door which spans from the floor to within a foot of the ceiling. Unfortunately, you can only open this door about a foot. Their is no actual balcony, only a metal railing to protect you from falling. Nevertheless, the door allows in plenty of light to make the room seem bigger plus a great view of the Empire State Building.

The closet and bathroom are small, but the glass shower stall is large enough for two people. The shower stall is fully enclosed, unlike some other new hotels with a half a door. The vanity is made of black stone with copper flecks (as is the work desk). There is plenty of room for toiletries on the vanity and on both sides of the cabinet below.

The bed was very comfortable. I noticed some street noise but not any noise from the hall or nearby rooms.

The TV is a 37-inch Philips flat screen with 39 channels, none of which were available in HD. I would expect a lot more channels and HDTV in a new hotel! The work desk is large and free wired and wireless internet is available. You do need to get a password from the front desk to connect.

There is a fitness center and vending machines on the lower level. Breakfast is served from 7 AM to 10 AM on the lobby level. Typical Fairfield Inn continental breakfast items. But please avoid the ham and cheese quiche. It was dreadful - the ham was gray, not pink!

Right now, the rates are very low, starting at $142 for AAA members (I paid $189 on a Saturday night).

All in all, the new hotel is quite nice with only a few disappointments. My letter grade rating: B+.

Photos are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/1748958...th/5273729583/

Last edited by DCBob; Dec 19, 2010 at 8:42 am
Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: ICH Platinum, Marriott Gold
I stayed here the night after it opened. Although the front desk staff were a little unorganized, it was a pleasant stay.

My tip: If you're not lucky enough to get a room with a view of the Empire State Building, you can take the elevator to the top floor and enjoy the view from the roof. They have a very nice rooftop. It was cold so I only stayed long enough to snap a few photos, but I'd imagine it will be a nice place to lounge in the warmer months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.