Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Des Moines and West Des Moines, Iowa [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Des Moines and West Des Moines, Iowa [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
A bit behind (not just in FlyerTalk, but in life generally it seems), so filing a brief update from late October: Capped off a long weekend in Des Moines with a single Sunday night stay at the AC Hotel in the Des Moines East Village - chiefly to check it out (opened in 2016 and I had yet to stay there despite traveling to DSM area 1-2 times per year), but also with intent to burn an expiring SNA. Latter was somewhat of a non-starter: though hotel website lists at least two types of suites available, neither was available to select with SNA, so did apply to get bumped from standard King to corner view King, which cleared at three days out. Beyond that, it was more or less similar to what I've seen/experienced at the one other AC I'd stayed at previously: minimalist room design and aesthetic; very dark - even *with* additional windows in corner, surprisingly. Checked in via app earlier in day, but did not receive any notification that room was ready. I did stop by shortly after 2 pm, and was able to get into room. FDA perfunctory in interaction: not rude per se, but not warm or particularly welcoming. Parking is available at hotel (attached underground ramp) at rate of $18/day. That said, I elected to park in a city municipal ramp less than a block away which was no fee on weekends. As Plat amenity, was offered $10 credit to Republic on Grand, the attached top floor restaurant and bar - however this closes at 5 pm on Sundays. No description of breakfast offerings provided pre-emptively by FDA (which was fine, because I needed to leave quite early next morning), but presume would be offered in the "AC Lounge" area in lobby. That said, I did not see anyone in this bar for the duration of the afternoon and evening as I passed by on four separate occasions - neither staff, nor patrons. Multiple shops, restaurants, and bars within several block radius in East Village (though, given I was there on Sunday, a bit sleepier than usual). As described by Horace upthread, the AC is kitty-korner from Zombie Burger (which seems to have lost some of its luster from earlier days, but nonetheless remains popular). I chose to walk down to Peace Tree Brewing taproom for al fresco beers and then back to Alba to meet friend for glorious dinner. Not a bad stay, but not necessarily putting this in my go-to list for DSM hotels when fresher and/or more classically luxe hotels are located in downtown proper at similar or lower price point (or, conversely, fine alternatives that are still "upper-upscale" available in West Des Moines and suburbs at markedly lower cost). [I also accept that I perhaps am not an AC's target demographic.]

Corner King bed and furnishings

View from room 427 - Zombie Burger is diagonal (straight ahead in photo), municipal parking lot used on right side of photo
Horace likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I took some photos at the Des Moines Marriott Downtown during a weekend stay at the end of June 2023. The photos on the official website accurately show the recently renovated rooms, but don't show details, so that's what I concentrated on in my photos.

It's a well-run, well-maintained Marriott. It's been nicely renovated. Rooms have dark "hard wood" laminate floors, modern furnishings, and showers where the tubs used to be. This hotel checks all the boxes for what a Marriott is supposed to be in 2023. (All this can also be said of the West Des Moines Marriott 10 miles to the west.)

Ground floor lobby, where the bar doubles as the evening restaurant. The Concierge Lounge is on the mezzanine at the back of the photo. Because this was a weekend stay, the lounge was not serving breakfast or evening items, but it could be accessed with a key (Platinum Elite and above) for sodas and water.

Restaurant breakfast hours.

Rock River Grill Restaurant breakfast buffet, with the good cut fruit, steam trays for scrambled eggs and breakfast meats, and usual other items. There is no longer an omelet chef. There's no effort to go above and beyond with local or freshly baked items, but the breakfast is good.

30th floor plan, showing several suites. I think this floor is unusual in having suites. Most floors of this 33-floor hotel only have identically sized rooms. The end rooms don't even have side windows, so they're just like other rooms. As an elite member, I've always been "upgraded" to a high floor, but not to a suite.

View from our north-facing 30th floor room.

View from the south-facing 30th floor elevator lobby.

Real desk.

Guest room refrigerator.

Keurig coffee maker, which we did not use.

Very convenient nightstand on both sides of the king bed, with plenty of space for electronic devices. One side has a phone, while the other side (shown here) has an alarm clock with additional AC and USB-A outlets.

Wall outlet above both nightstands, with AC and USB-A outlets.

Chair with a movable working/snacking table. A nice alternative to the desk if you want to face the TV while using a laptop.
dgreen12 and LSEGallipot like this.

Last edited by Horace; Jul 12, 2023 at 10:48 am
Old Aug 24, 2023, 1:53 pm

Location: Los Altos, CA -- UA 1P / Priority Club Platinum Ambassador / Hyatt GP Platinum / Avis Presidents Club
Correction to old post?

Originally Posted by Horace
There is one negative. Many of the rooms, including our suite, have an old HVAC system from when the hotel was built as a Ramada Renaissance Hotel decades ago. It's quite noisy whenever it starts up. I was told these systems are slowly being replaced, but it's a multi-year process. I slept through the noise, but light sleepers might want to bring ear plugs.
Very late correction to this, but I'm 98% sure this hotel was built as a Marriott. I grew up in West Des Moines and reserved a suite at this hotel for my senior prom in 1983 (the hotel was built in 1980). It was a Marriott then, I'm quite sure it didn't rebrand in those first few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.