Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Des Moines and West Des Moines, Iowa [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Des Moines and West Des Moines, Iowa [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Ive stayed at all the Marriott hotels in and around Des Moines over the last few years. Here is my take.

I don't like the downtown Marriott. The Savoy is ok but old. Even the redone rooms are just ok. But much better than the Marriott.

The Marriott on the west side is adequate as best.

My favorite? Especially if staying on the west side is the Jordan Creek Courtyard.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-jordan-creek/
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK, yes, the Savery is old - built in the late 19th century. But I actually find that to be one of its appealing features. I liked the juxtaposition of the modern Renaissance decor in the historic old building. Add in an excellent lobby bar and a nice restaurant...you've got a surprisingly high-character hotel for being in a smallish midwestern city. I mean, it's not the Mayflower or Chancery Court, but it's a pretty solid Renaissance.

I also like the total quietness of the old stone building. Thick walls, thick hallway carpeting. A contrast to the typical convention hotel (e.g., the Marriott down the street) where you hear every other guest on the floor.

I didn't check the Courtyards...since I had family with me I knew we'd want to eat breakfast...
Old Nov 7, 2012, 1:53 pm

Since this appears to be the most recent Des Moines thread, I will add my two cents.

The Savery remains a Category 3 property. I used a Megabonus cert. there on Monday evening in lieu of the $199 rack rate. (The FS Marriott down the street was sold out. Lots of media in town for campaign-related events.)

I was upgraded to room 800, a massive 1 br. suite with living room seating for 7, a dining table with eight chairs, and two full baths. The lounge was passable. The bathrooms were tiny. The elevators were slow.

I would return to this property.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Since this appears to be the most recent Des Moines thread, I will add my two cents.

The Savery remains a Category 3 property. I used a Megabonus cert. there on Monday evening in lieu of the $199 rack rate. (The FS Marriott down the street was sold out. Lots of media in town for campaign-related events.)

I was upgraded to room 800, a massive 1 br. suite with living room seating for 7, a dining table with eight chairs, and two full baths. The lounge was passable. The bathrooms were tiny. The elevators were slow.

I would return to this property.
If I got that kind of upgrade I'd return too!

Cheers. Sharon
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
At the full service Marriott in WDM this week (to finish up megabonus) and I have to say I'm very impressed! Beautiful lobby (although dark with no windows, they can't help that). Food in the lobby restaurant was great last night, bar service is great, beer selection is great. rooms are neo-modern Marriott. The lounge offerings are a little meh but the morning and night attendants are great. The dinner and breakfast offerings are standard however there's been homemade pies each night! Would highly recommend this place for anybody looking in the area. However I need starwood nights so I'm headed back to the Sheraton next week.

Last edited by nevansm; Apr 22, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:06 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:51 am

Recent update from Horace re: the West Des Moines property in the exec lounge sticky. Thought I'd provide the info here as well since it includes hours of the lounge:

"West Des Moines / Iowa / USA

Concierge Lounge hours:
Monday - Thursday: 6:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Friday: 6:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (noon)
Saturday: closed all day
Sunday: 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Outside of normal lounge hours, the lounge is NOT room-key-accessible for water and sodas.

Platinum welcome gift is the standard choice of 500 points or a $10 food/beverage credit.

For Saturday and Sunday mornings, the Gold/Platinum breakfast option is a standard breakfast-for-two voucher or 750 points. The voucher states “continental breakfast for two” in the restaurant, but it’s good for the full buffet, including made-to-order omelettes, with no up-charge. Charge for additional guest beyond elite-plus-one is $14 plus tax and tip.

There is a computer terminal and printer in the lounge."

Cheers.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I'll throw this out here, too...

On a recent trip, with a late arrival, I stayed at the airport FI because they pick up at the airport. While waiting for the FI van, I noticed a van from the downtown Ren. The driver was waiting for the crew from my flight. Had I known the Ren picks up from the airport, I would have stayed there. It was closer to where I needed to be in the morning, and, obviously, a nicer hotel. There was nothing wrong with the airport FI, but the Ren would have been more convenient. It didn't even occur to me to check; I did a search for airport hotels and made the reservation. Just putting that out here because others may be looking for an airport pick-up from DSM and might also to consider downtown hotels.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I'll throw this out here, too...

On a recent trip, with a late arrival, I stayed at the airport FI because they pick up at the airport. While waiting for the FI van, I noticed a van from the downtown Ren. The driver was waiting for the crew from my flight. Had I known the Ren picks up from the airport, I would have stayed there. It was closer to where I needed to be in the morning, and, obviously, a nicer hotel. There was nothing wrong with the airport FI, but the Ren would have been more convenient. It didn't even occur to me to check; I did a search for airport hotels and made the reservation. Just putting that out here because others may be looking for an airport pick-up from DSM and might also to consider downtown hotels.
Renaissance website says: "Airport shuttle service, on request, complimentary". So they've got one, but sounds like pick up & drop off needs to be arranged vs. it running on a specific schedule.

Thanks for the info re: the FI.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I visit Des Moines several times a year. Here’s my take on four Marriott properties:

Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel -- Historical hotel built in 1919, but renovated with a modern flair. Rooms of various sizes. As a Platinum, I have routinely been upgraded to a larger king studio, either with two bathrooms or with a bathroom and a small kitchen. Bathrooms are very small, but that doesn’t bother me. I’ve always had a room with a refrigerator, but I don’t know if they all do. Very quiet rooms due to thick brick walls. Lackluster concierge lounge. Swimming pool in the basement can come across as somewhat creepy. My favorite hotel of these four because I like hotels with individuality.

Des Moines Marriott Downtown -- Third tallest building in Des Moines. As a Platinum, I’ve always been “upgraded” to a “concierge room” on one of the highest floors -- but the lounge is down on the mezzanine level, and this renovated 1980s property has identical cookie-cutter rooms; even the corner rooms lack side-wall windows and are identical to other rooms. I understand there are two hospitality suites -- but no traditional suites, executive rooms, junior suites, or other possible upgrades along those lines. Refrigerators were added to all rooms a couple of years ago, which is a big plus. Exceptionally nice indoor pool and exercise room. Excellent downtown location. A rather generic Marriott full-service hotel, but that’s not a bad thing.

West Des Moines Marriott -- After a less-than-stellar stay a few years ago, I avoided this hotel. I tried it again last month. The hotel’s public areas and rooms have recently been thoroughly renovated. Excellent staff at the front desk and the concierge lounge. My 9th floor (top floor) concierge room was steps away from the concierge lounge. No refrigerators in rooms and no key access to the lounge when it is closed. (Come on, Marriott, is being able to have cold drinking water and other cold beverages without having to go to the vending machines or the bar too much for an elite member to ask from a full-service hotel?) Pool and exercise room looked good, but I didn’t use them. It’s now a fine suburban full-service Marriott -- but it needs in-room refrigerators.

Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines West -- A flawless Fairfield Inn. I’ve only stayed here once (in late 2014). The whole experience was perfect. I was upgraded to a suite with a jacuzzi and fireplace. Rooms have a refrigerator and microwave. Apparently, I’m not the only person who likes this hotel. When I tried to book it for June 2015, the price would have been substantially higher than the West Des Moines Marriott across the street (which is why I gave that hotel another chance).
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
having just stayed at both properties, I'd agree with all the above (bolding mine). As a lowly silver didn't get any freebies. I HATE paying for parking, the Ren had plenty of spots on the street in the evening for free parking (meters end at 5 or 6pm).

one is coming, a Hyatt Place property that is.
The Hyattt Place is downtown, a few blocks from the FS Marriott but in a restored historic building. IMO it's one of the nicest HPs around. IIRC their shuttle wil do free airport service, but I never needed to try it. Valet parking for a fee or find a space on the street, although construction nearby is making this more difficult.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Renaissance website says: "Airport shuttle service, on request, complimentary". So they've got one, but sounds like pick up & drop off needs to be arranged vs. it running on a specific schedule.

Thanks for the info re: the FI.
The Ren driver actually told me that you have to arrange it ahead of time, but with notice, they are always able to arrange something. He was quite chatty and after a long day of work and travel, I was happy chatting.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Hyattt Place is downtown, a few blocks from the FS Marriott but in a restored historic building. IMO it's one of the nicest HPs around. IIRC their shuttle wil do free airport service, but I never needed to try it. Valet parking for a fee or find a space on the street, although construction nearby is making this more difficult.
Not to point out the obvious, but you're responding to a 5-year old post that mentions the Hyatt incidentally. Perhaps focus on the more recent reports re: the various Marriott properties & if you have information re: them, post that information instead.

Cheers.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
A few updates on Marriott properties in Des Moines and West Des Moines:

The city-owned parking structure at 7th & Grand, across the street from the Des Moines Marriott Downtown, has been demolished. It will be missed. It was inexpensive on weekdays and free on weekends. Parking spaces were plentiful and the structure was connected to the Marriott with a sky bridge. The Downtown Marriott does not have its own on-site self-parking. Valet parking is $22 daily. There are still off-site parking structures, but not as convenient as the one that was demolished.

Construction is well underway on the AC Hotel by Marriott in Des Moines East Village. The structure has been topped out and the exterior walls are going up. The location is diagonally across the street from the very popular Zombie Burger + Drink Lab restaurant. East Village is Des Moines' hip dining and shopping area -- although dining and shopping choices are limited compared to such areas in larger cities.

My recent weekend breakfasts at the West Des Moines Marriott were disappointing. In all my stays at full-service Marriott properties, I have never seen such a sparse, limited breakfast buffet. On a more positive note, at least the weekend Elite breakfast voucher was honored for the full breakfast buffet, not just the cold options. And the bacon was good. (After all, it's Iowa.) The rooms still don't have refrigerators, but this time I requested one. It was free and delivered in minutes. It was all banged up on the outside (looked awful), but was clean on the inside.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:48 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Horace
A few updates on Marriott properties in Des Moines and West Des Moines:

The city-owned parking structure at 7th & Grand, across the street from the Des Moines Marriott Downtown, has been demolished. It will be missed. It was inexpensive on weekdays and free on weekends. Parking spaces were plentiful and the structure was connected to the Marriott with a sky bridge. The Downtown Marriott does not have its own on-site self-parking. Valet parking is $22 daily. There are still off-site parking structures, but not as convenient as the one that was demolished.

Construction is well underway on the AC Hotel by Marriott in Des Moines East Village. The structure has been topped out and the exterior walls are going up. The location is diagonally across the street from the very popular Zombie Burger + Drink Lab restaurant. East Village is Des Moines' hip dining and shopping area -- although dining and shopping choices are limited compared to such areas in larger cities.

My recent weekend breakfasts at the West Des Moines Marriott were disappointing. In all my stays at full-service Marriott properties, I have never seen such a sparse, limited breakfast buffet. On a more positive note, at least the weekend Elite breakfast voucher was honored for the full breakfast buffet, not just the cold options. And the bacon was good. (After all, it's Iowa.) The rooms still don't have refrigerators, but this time I requested one. It was free and delivered in minutes. It was all banged up on the outside (looked awful), but was clean on the inside.
Sad about West Des Moines as I have a stay there at the end of the month Fri-Sat. But it was the cheapest property in the area by about 45 bucks so I will live with it. (other than one courtyard). Will update if there are any changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.