Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Des Moines and West Des Moines, Iowa [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Des Moines and West Des Moines, Iowa [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:32 am

Really struggling to figure out the "least bad" option in Des Moines. We won't have a car, so
central location is a plus. Right now our list is Hyatt Place, Embassy Suites and Des Lux.
Quiet, clean and as close to luxury as available. I'd appreciate any thoughts. TIA.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Mickidon
Really struggling to figure out the "least bad" option in Des Moines. We won't have a car, so
central location is a plus. Right now our list is Hyatt Place, Embassy Suites and Des Lux.
Quiet, clean and as close to luxury as available. I'd appreciate any thoughts. TIA.
The phrase "least bad" suggests that you think all hotels in Des Moines are bad. There's no Ritz-Carlton or St. Regis in Des Moines, but there are decent downtown hotels. I can't speak from direct experience about the three hotels you mentioned, but I can tell you about three Marriott properties downtown.

The Des Moines Marriott Downtown is not a luxury property, but it'a a well-run, well-maintained standard Marriott. The room renovation that's supposed to begin later this year should make the rooms more contemporary, but, even now, they're in good shape.

The Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel is closed for a massive, year-long renovation. It was my favorite Des Moines hotel before it closed, and it's likely to be the best hotel in Des Moines when it reopens. Ideally, it will bring together the personalty of the historical 1919 building with the latest Renaissance Hotels specifications and enhancements. Marriott.com allows room reservations for dates beginning October 1, but I understand it's likely to reopen before then.

I've also stayed at the Residence Inn Des Moines Downtown. Of course, it's not a luxury property, but it's fairly new and quite nicely designed. The location is convenient for the Court Avenue area and the huge farmers market on Saturday mornings. A freight train track goes by one side of the building, but I didn't hear any trains from our room on the other side.

Last edited by Horace; Jul 14, 2017 at 9:41 am
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Horace
The phrase "least bad" suggests that you think all hotels in Des Moines are bad. There's no Ritz-Carlton or St. Regis in Des Moines, but there are decent downtown hotels. I can't speak from direct experience about the three hotels you mentioned, but I can tell you about three Marriott properties downtown.

The Des Moines Marriott Downtown is not a luxury property, but it'a a well-run, well-maintained standard Marriott. The room renovation that's supposed to begin later this year should make the rooms more contemporary, but, even now, they're in good shape.

The Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel is closed for a massive, year-long renovation. It was my favorite Des Moines hotel before it closed, and it's likely to be the best hotel in Des Moines when it reopens. Ideally, it will bring together the personalty of the historical 1919 building with the latest Renaissance Hotels specifications and enhancements. Marriott.com allows room reservations for dates beginning October 1, but I understand it's likely to reopen before then.

I've also stayed at the Residence Inn Des Moines Downtown. Of course, it's not a luxury property, but it's fairly new and quite nicely designed. The location is convenient for the Court Avenue area and the huge farmers market on Saturday mornings. A freight train track goes by one side of the building, but I didn't hear any trains from our room on the other side.
Thanks so much - very helpful. I didn't mean to strike an attitude about hotels in DM, but the previous discussions suggested to me slimish pickings. We are
going in two weeks, so too early for the Marriott renovation and Savery reopening. The train (have seen that mentioned in other reviews) is exactly why I am avoiding the Residence Inn - terrible sleeper here.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:41 am

Here's an update on downtown Des Moines.

For the full-service Des Moines Marriott Downtown, Marriott.com now indicates:
"Please note - Complete guest room modernization project January 22-May 31 2018/Rooms will be updated with newest Marriott style and design/Intermittent guest impact expected during work hours."
A GLOBE NEWSWIRE press release from Oct. 25, 2017, provides more details about the renovation of the Des Moines Marriott Downtown: Des Moines Marriott Downtown Readies For Complete Transformation

Meanwhile, the historical (1919) Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, two blocks from full-service Marriott, has still not reopened after closing August 21, 2016, for "a year-long multi-million dollar renovation to restore the hotel to its original glamour."

My understanding is that this is actually far more than an interior renovation. It involved demolishing the hotel's annex to create a building site for a new hotel. So any facilities in the annex had to be incorporated into the remaining building. I haven't seen any word on what the new hotel will be.

Marriott.com is now allowing room reservations at Renaissance Savery beginning March 16, 2018. Better late than never!

Also, Marriott.com indicates, "Please note - The hotel swimming pool and whirlpool spa are closed indefinitely." The swimming has been in a completely tiled room in the basement. (It was a bit creepy down there. In comparison, the full-service Marriott has a very nice swimming pool.) If the pool at the Renaissance Savery never reopens, I won't miss it.

I'm optimistic about both renovations. Des Moines should have two excellent full-service properties downtown when these renovations are complete.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: 1K UAL Marriott Platinum Premier - Ambassador thing-y Hertz President's Circle
West Des Moines update

Just spent Thurs- Sunday there. Liked it.

The lobby is a little funky in that it's small and the restaurant bar is too. But OK.

Rooms are standard. CL is nice. Staff is good. Parking is free! VERY easy to get to. Every chain store in the world is within a few miles and near high-end mall a few miles away with an Apple store and a B&N ( that's all I ever need).

McD's is steps away but not an eyesore. Gas station across street for airport return gas-up. It's on a busy retail street ( Jordan Creek Parkway ). 10-12 minute drive to downtown DM.

Will stay here again. Very convenient. Good prices.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Enginerd
West Des Moines update

Just spent Thurs- Sunday there. Liked it.

The lobby is a little funky in that it's small and the restaurant bar is too. But OK.

Rooms are standard. CL is nice. Staff is good. Parking is free! VERY easy to get to. Every chain store in the world is within a few miles and near high-end mall a few miles away with an Apple store and a B&N ( that's all I ever need).

McD's is steps away but not an eyesore. Gas station across street for airport return gas-up. It's on a busy retail street ( Jordan Creek Parkway ). 10-12 minute drive to downtown DM.

Will stay here again. Very convenient. Good prices.
I would hope that there's no charge for parking in a small town midwest suburban area that isn't close to an airport.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:01 am

The Renaissance Des Moines Savery closed almost two years ago for a one-year renovation. At one time, Marriott.com was accepting reservations for stays beginning October 1, 2017. The date has been pushed back several times. The Renaissance still hasn't reopened. The Renaissance is now taking reservations for stays beginning September 1, 2018.

I had a 2-night reservation at the Renaissance Des Moines Savery this past weekend. Because the Renaissance would not yet be open, the Renaissance moved my reservation to the new Hilton Des Moines Downtown Hotel (the Des Moines Marriott Downtown was sold out). Although the room rate at the Hilton was far higher, I only had to pay the rate on my Renaissance reservation; the Renaissance paid the difference (except for an annoying mandatory facility charge that the Hilton charges because it's attached to the Event Center). At my request, the Renaissance provided the Marriott Rewards points I would have received and arranged for the Hilton to provide executive lounge access to me (even though I have no status with Hilton Honors). However, the Renaissance was unable to credit nights to me (I'm trying to get the the 75-night level for SNAs).

I liked the Hilton very much, but I'm looking forward to when the Renaissance Savery Des Moines finally reopens.

Last edited by Horace; Jun 26, 2018 at 9:35 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's also a very nice Hyatt Place in downtown Des Moines roughly between the Marriott and the Ren. It's in a historic building, has suites, and isn't at all your typical HP.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:42 pm

Here's an update about Des Moines:

The reopening of the historical Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel — built 1919 and closed more than two years ago for a thorough renovation — keeps being pushed back. Before the renovation began, I liked the hotel's location, architecture, rooms, thick (soundproof) walls, Platinum upgrades, and service very much. It should be spectacular when it reopens. Marriott.com is now taking reservations for stays beginning October 22, but Marriott.com was also taking reservations last year. I don't understand why it's keeping its Renaissance branding. The hotel has so much individuality and history, it would make more sense as the Savery Hotel, Autograph Collection.

Just a few blocks from the Renaissance Savery, the Des Moines Marriott Downtown has been undergoing its own thorough renovation, during which it's remained open. I called the Marriott a few days ago to ask about the status. I was told the work is complete. The Marriott is a product of the 1980s, with all rooms exactly the same size, a fortress-like exterior at ground level and a 33-story tower of rooms. This has always been a dependable, well-maintained Marriott. Updated to the standards of 2018, it should be even better.

Downtown Des Moines and West Des Moines are only ten or twelve miles apart, but they're two different worlds. Des Moines is one of the nicest Midwestern cities of its size, with one-of-a-kind restaurants, a large sculpture park, a huge farmers market each Saturday May through October, and quite a few special events. West Des Moines could be anywhere in the United States, seemingly with every big box store and chain restaurant imaginable. Okay, it might be one of the nicest collections of such businesses anywhere, but it's still not what I want.

West Des Moines hotel rates are sometimes much lower than Des Moines hotel rates — so West Des Moines can be a good option, even if you plan to spend the day in Des Moines. I-235 is a direct freeway between the two.

I only stayed at the Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel once, and that was probably a half dozen years ago. It was so worn that I never returned. The carpets in the atrium hallways and the room were stained, threadbare, and buckled. When I read that Marriott would impose more stringent standards on substandard Sheratons, I immediately thought of this Sheraton. The good news is that it's also getting a thorough renovation this year. Just before I called the Marriott a few days ago, I called the Sheraton to ask about it. The hotel answered the phone with "Sheraton, please hold." After about two minutes on hold, I hung up. So maybe the Sheraton West Des Moines is now a much better place than when I stayed there. Or maybe not.

Des Moines is becoming a competitive hotel market.

Hilton Des Moines Downtown opened this year near the Iowa Event Center. I stayed there in June when the Renaissance Savery moved my reservation there. It's an excellent hotel.

The historical Hotel Fort Des Moines is now being being restored. When it reopens, it will be part of Hilton's Curio Collection.

Aparium Hotel Group, known for hotels like the Iron Horse in Milwaukee, is transforming the historical Midland Building into a full-service hotel. The impressive structure opened in 1913 as the Hippee Building.

And, finally, in select-service hotel news, a developer is transforming an office building from 1971 into a Fairfield Inn. It's just north of Wells Fargo Arena and near the Iowa Event Center.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:57 pm

The reopening of the Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel has been delayed again. Marriott.com is now taking reservations for stays beginning November 1, 2018. Previously, it was October 22, 2018.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:58 pm

According to news reports, the Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel finally reopened today.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Review for a recent stay at the Renaissance Savery:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30821304-post6.html
Old Aug 25, 2020, 8:33 pm

Being local, I don't have much experience with the hotels in town. However, my wife and I have a reservation at the downtown Marriott for a wedding this upcoming weekend. Anyone have any updates on the downtown Marriott status? What can I expect as a titanium, but with current COVID restrictions? Already have a confirmed SNA to a 1 bedroom suite.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Capped off a several night trip in DSM area with single paid night at the West DSM Marriott (10/8-9). Perfectly lovely, if perfunctory, Marriott: my standard King room on 7th floor felt clean, somewhat recently refreshed (comfortable sofa chaise, bathroom with sliding door and walk-in shower), and bright (sufficient task *and* ambient lighting). Even though next to I-80, did not hear any traffic noise from exterior; on the other hand, *hallway* noise occasionally was more noticeable than I think it should have been. M Lounge is open, with NA beverages available throughout day (Starbucks grind-and-brew coffee dispenser though oddly espresso drinks not an option, fridge well-stocked with water and pop). Restaurant is open; seating area is functionally in the lobby, in what appears to be the bar (and, I guess, *is*). They do serve buffet in side room off the lobby (adjacent to M Lounge), but I was also offered to have anything off the made-to-order menu, which I did. All staff I encountered were engaging and helpful - particularly the two front desk agents. Agree with Horace that I'd generally prefer to stay closer to downtown DSM (which - I say having gone to college in DSM in the 90s - has transformed *phenomenally* over the last twenty years), but met my needs for an early morning departure to get on the road, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:28 pm

My wife and I had an excellent two-night stay at the West Des Moines Marriott a couple of weeks ago. This was my fourth stay there. I was not impressed ten years ago. Each subsequent visit has been better. This time was the best. I would now recommend this hotel highly.

I booked a "Guest room, 1 King," the least expensive category. Five days before check-in, my Suite Night Award (SNA) request cleared for a "1 Bedroom Suite, 1 King." That was a good start.

At check-in, we were offered a choice of daily housekeeping or no housekeeping during our 2-night stay. We chose daily housekeeping. The room was nice and clean.

The rooms and suites have been thoroughly renovated to current brand standards for Marriott Hotels. They now have dark "hard wood" laminate floors, modern furnishings in clean shades of gray, and updated bathrooms with a walk-in shower where the bathtub used to be.

Our suite was on the ninth floor, which is the top floor. I understand there are five suites on the ninth floor and six suites each on floors two through eight. That should make this a good place to use an SNA or even to get an elite upgrade to a suite (although I never received a suite here in the past).

Our suite was a true two-room suite with French doors between the rooms. It was twice the size on a regular room and felt spacious, with an excellent layout. The living room had a real desk, a comfortable seating area (with a sofa, easy chair, coffee table, and rug), and a refrigerator. The bathroom opened to both rooms.

The concierge lounge that used to be on the ninth floor has moved to an M Club Lounge on the ground floor. Currently, the M Club Lounge is open Monday through Thursday evening for appetizers and Tuesday through Friday morning for breakfast. In other words, the hotel treats only four nights each week as weeknights.

Our nights were a Friday and a Saturday, so, technically, the M Club Lounge was closed and our room was on a list for a buffet breakfast in the restaurant. It turned out that the hotel had its breakfast buffet set up at the M Club Lounge and was using the lounge for seating -- not just for elite members, but also for paid breakfasts. The breakfast was nothing to get excited about, but also nothing to complain about. The cut fruit was very good, which I appreciate.

I chose this hotel because the room rate would have been much higher in downtown Des Moines due to a weekend event. The West Des Moines Marriott is very near a freeway onramp, so it's a quick shot to downtown Des Moines.

I especially appreciate that there is not a "destination fee" -- and that parking remains free, unlike some suburban hotels that impose parking fees, despite having been built with plenty of parking for all guests.

There is one negative. Many of the rooms, including our suite, have an old HVAC system from when the hotel was built as a Ramada Renaissance Hotel decades ago. It's quite noisy whenever it starts up. I was told these systems are slowly being replaced, but it's a multi-year process. I slept through the noise, but light sleepers might want to bring ear plugs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.