Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:06 am

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by friedablass
I have not stayed at the W, but one thing is for sure that you should not go to the Sheraton. The Westin and Le Meridien are both great alternatives; I'm sure you know that they both have comprehensive threads here where you can do your research and decide if you'd like to switch to one of them.
Haven't seen anything on the mold/mildew smell in any of the threads. Today is my last day to cancel so if anyone can chime in, would be appreciated!
Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ruby&carlos
Haven't seen anything on the mold/mildew smell in any of the threads. Today is my last day to cancel so if anyone can chime in, would be appreciated!
We were there a few years ago and did not notice any mold/mildew smell & my nose is very sensitive to picking up any odors.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by ruby&carlos
We're Titanium members, don't really care much about great service, just want to be left alone mostly and have plenty of free bottled water!
Can't remember exactly but you're limited to 5 or 6 free bottles per day.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 5:12 pm

I read through the 3 threads, but looking for some thoughts on W vs Ritz vs STR. Seems as though STR is the best experience but food and transfers are the most expensive, W is great but dated and the food is a bit iffy, and Ritz has a beautiful product but is super windy and the reef isn't great. We're going in Oct. 2023 so not necessarily the best weather time to begin with, so although I'd love to stay at the RC, the windiness is scaring me. I'd also love to cut costs where possible - do all 3 currently offer comp breakfast for plats? I saw the f&b discount was discontinued - is there any sort of happy hour discount offered? And do I assume correctly that there is no benefit to golds (should make plat next year but just in case I don't)? FWIW, over our dates W is 365K, RC is 428K, STR is 480K.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by taytaym
I read through the 3 threads, but looking for some thoughts on W vs Ritz vs STR. Seems as though STR is the best experience but food and transfers are the most expensive, W is great but dated and the food is a bit iffy, and Ritz has a beautiful product but is super windy and the reef isn't great. We're going in Oct. 2023 so not necessarily the best weather time to begin with, so although I'd love to stay at the RC, the windiness is scaring me. I'd also love to cut costs where possible - do all 3 currently offer comp breakfast for plats? I saw the f&b discount was discontinued - is there any sort of happy hour discount offered? And do I assume correctly that there is no benefit to golds (should make plat next year but just in case I don't)? FWIW, over our dates W is 365K, RC is 428K, STR is 480K.
From a pure value perspective, I'd rank ritz > str > w.
but it depends on your personal criteria. regarding the ritz, the rough windy season is in june-july, oct '23 should be ok. ocean side villas are covered
Free breakfast for elites is only available at the srt and w
Old Nov 25, 2022, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by randomdude
but it depends on your personal criteria. regarding the ritz, the rough windy season is in june-july, oct '23 should be ok. ocean side villas are covered
Why rank ritz higher than str? Especially considering no free breakfast.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 11:46 am

Thanks, Celebrating a big birthday and big anniversary, so we want a bucket list type experience. I don't mind spending $$ but want good food, service and experience for it. We will probably spend most of the time reading, relaxing and snorkeling and just want peace and quiet.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:31 pm

Hi Donny, I am visiting this year and they still have the mandatory Xmas eve meal. How was your experience last year?

Originally Posted by DonnyJohn
Thanks for quick replies.

I just booked a 7 nights stay over Christmas. Only Marriott property that can offer water villa and be booked with points. This is the first time a stay includes mandatory gala meal. Has anyone experienced this? How good is it considering the amount they charge, free drink? Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:05 pm

quick review:
- the staff is super friendly, but less formal than the StR or Ritz
- the food in the "Kitchen" is overpriced and not great. $45 for a small bowl of tom yon soup with 2 shrimps and 3 mushrooms.
- however, the grill buffet or sushi night (eat all you can) were excellent in terms of price and quality
- throughout the day, the staff will regularly promote such special events, which can feel pushy at time
- activities such as SUP are limited to 1h, which feels like a really cheap service for a hotel
- the rooms are definitely dated. The whole resort is pretty old, and due for an upgrade (coming next year)
- we tried the lunch on the private island, that was a fun experience. This is a proposal place we saw how they prepare for it, they will definitely make it a special day
- the absolute best thing is the snorkeling. you don't need to swim far to be surrounded by hundreds of colorful fish, with the occasional shark and turtle.

Initially ranked in the same category as the StR or Ritz, this is definitely a step down. However, with dynamic awards, it's now where it should be compared to the others. Let's wait until the renovation is complete to see if that will change.
Any updates on the renovation plan? Where did you get the renovation information?
Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:34 pm

I need some advice and questions answered for my upcoming honeymoon trip in May!

To give you some context, I've done a lot of research between W, St. Regis, WA, Westin, and JW and as I wanted to book St. Regis, my wife did ask me to reconsider since it was pretty hefty on the price (not that we can't afford it) and if we can stay at a more cost saving place. I know the "quality of service" will be different from St. Regis and that's okay.

As I'm leaning more toward the W at the moment for the Spectacular OWV, some of my questions are below.
  1. I've read a lot about noise from the DJ, seaplanes, and boats, but is this really a big issue? I'm afraid of not being able to rest/chill peacefully
  2. Can anyone chime in about privacy with Spectacular OWV? I understand that W is more popular and gets busy so curious to know if privacy is really an issue or not.
  3. Some reviews had mentioned the decks and other parts of the resort are being 'outdated' or 'wear & tear' issues (that's just the nature of things), but is this an issue?

Any helpful advice/tips would be helpful! Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mbbash217
I need some advice and questions answered for my upcoming honeymoon trip in May!

To give you some context, I've done a lot of research between W, St. Regis, WA, Westin, and JW and as I wanted to book St. Regis, my wife did ask me to reconsider since it was pretty hefty on the price (not that we can't afford it) and if we can stay at a more cost saving place. I know the "quality of service" will be different from St. Regis and that's okay.

As I'm leaning more toward the W at the moment for the Spectacular OWV, some of my questions are below.
  1. I've read a lot about noise from the DJ, seaplanes, and boats, but is this really a big issue? I'm afraid of not being able to rest/chill peacefully
  2. Can anyone chime in about privacy with Spectacular OWV? I understand that W is more popular and gets busy so curious to know if privacy is really an issue or not.
  3. Some reviews had mentioned the decks and other parts of the resort are being 'outdated' or 'wear & tear' issues (that's just the nature of things), but is this an issue?

Any helpful advice/tips would be helpful! Thanks!
I was there last June for 5 nights in a Spectacular OWV and had a fantastic time. I was traveling with my adult daughter -- we spent every day on our deck looking out over the ocean and were never disturbed. The seaplanes and boats come in to a dock on the other side of the OWVs. I never heard the DJ, nor was there any issue with privacy.

I had planned the trip for almost a year and had booked the St. Regis, but they closed for renovation and we rebooked to the W. I am delighted we did. It was a perfect fit. There is no "butler" service at the W, but our housekeeper came by twice a day to take care of the room and was always available if we needed anything. I read that the butler service at the St. Regis can be a bit overbearing.

Food, drink and service at the W were on-point. The resort never felt crowded. It was simply a nice relaxed vibe.

The deck boards on the OWVs are showing a bit of age, but it was not an issue. They were well maintained. The resort was replacing some of the wooden decking near the reception in June -- so I suspect that it is an ongoing process. I would not hesitate recommending the W to anyone.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by JRG2025
I was there last June for 5 nights in a Spectacular OWV and had a fantastic time. I was traveling with my adult daughter -- we spent every day on our deck looking out over the ocean and were never disturbed. The seaplanes and boats come in to a dock on the other side of the OWVs. I never heard the DJ, nor was there any issue with privacy.

I had planned the trip for almost a year and had booked the St. Regis, but they closed for renovation and we rebooked to the W. I am delighted we did. It was a perfect fit. There is no "butler" service at the W, but our housekeeper came by twice a day to take care of the room and was always available if we needed anything. I read that the butler service at the St. Regis can be a bit overbearing.

Food, drink and service at the W were on-point. The resort never felt crowded. It was simply a nice relaxed vibe.

The deck boards on the OWVs are showing a bit of age, but it was not an issue. They were well maintained. The resort was replacing some of the wooden decking near the reception in June -- so I suspect that it is an ongoing process. I would not hesitate recommending the W to anyone.
Wow thank you so much for the information and very helpful! Will move forward with booking the W! Thanks again!!!
Old Mar 4, 2023, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by JRG2025

I second all of this. My wife and I honeymooned at the W, also in June of last year and also in a Spectacular OWV. The pool area, the restaurants, all of it . . . a "nice relaxed vibe" is perfectly put. Keeping with that theme, numerous members of the staff made a genuine effort to get to know us on a personal level and make us feel welcome. By the end of the week, it felt like we were saying goodbye to old friends!

OP—you will not regret it!
Old Mar 4, 2023, 10:36 pm

Just finished a stay at W Maldives which was full during our 5 night stay. Booked a Fabulous OWV on points and there was no available spectacular OWV available to upgrade us in to. (Titanium which I guess doesn’t mean much in somewhere like this).

Even with the sea plane landing up to 5 times a day, did not find it at all disturbing or lacking privacy. How often do you see a seaplane landing in front of you away from the Maldives right?

The food here was great too, we ate at fire once, fish once and kitchen or wet the rest of the time. We had 3 courses on our first night here but the portions are quite big so only really need starter and main or main and dessert.

The service is outstanding. It’s luxury without being too fussy. You get addressed by name all the time by all the staff which they can do easily as max 150 stay here even when full.

My only wish was that the DJ was a bit louder, was only played loud at the pool on Saturday and Wednesday. The evenings the DJ plays at sip bar but not particularly loudly. We only discovered sup bar on out last evening while getting some aperitifs before dinner at fish and wish we’d gone every night as the sunset view was outstanding.

There was an evening drinks reception for Bonvoy elites on the Friday we were there with Sekt, Prosecco, beer, cocktails and canapés. It wasn’t clear how often they do this. There were LOTS of people there so it’s clear it’s an elite heavy resort.

Was easily the best holiday I’ve ever taken. You will not regret coming here.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mbbash217
Wow thank you so much for the information and very helpful! Will move forward with booking the W! Thanks again!!!
Congratulations on your wedding! -- If you have time when you get back, I would love to hear your opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.