Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2023, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by UncleLeo
I second all of this. My wife and I honeymooned at the W, also in June of last year and also in a Spectacular OWV. The pool area, the restaurants, all of it . . . a "nice relaxed vibe" is perfectly put. Keeping with that theme, numerous members of the staff made a genuine effort to get to know us on a personal level and make us feel welcome. By the end of the week, it felt like we were saying goodbye to old friends!

OP—you will not regret it!
Thank you so much for sharing your opinion!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by JRG2025
Congratulations on your wedding! -- If you have time when you get back, I would love to hear your opinion.
Yes definitely! I'll write a full review once I take the trip
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:56 am

Does anyone have recent experience about in-room bar prices? I saw a recent video review that appeared to show in-room beer prices increased from ~$15 to 25++, bottle of wine from ~160 to 250++, and bottle of liquor from ~55 to 150++. If true, that would be quite a substantial increase - hoping someone could confirm.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by rmpz
Does anyone have recent experience about in-room bar prices? I saw a recent video review that appeared to show in-room beer prices increased from ~$15 to 25++, bottle of wine from ~160 to 250++, and bottle of liquor from ~55 to 150++. If true, that would be quite a substantial increase - hoping someone could confirm.
It’s $15.12 for a bottle of beer from a visit 2 weeks ago. I can’t remember anything else.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP
Shared excursions

Hi all,

We’re at the property for the next 2 weeks, so if anyone would like to coordinate on any of the excursions that require a minimum number of guests (such as the Sunset Fishing), please send me a message!

Despite high occupancy, the property kindly allowed us to upgrade/switch to a Beach Villa for our first 5 nights (we are Titanium/LTP).

If anyone has any current questions about the resort, let me know.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by smokie
Hi all,

We’re at the property for the next 2 weeks, so if anyone would like to coordinate on any of the excursions that require a minimum number of guests (such as the Sunset Fishing), please send me a message!

Despite high occupancy, the property kindly allowed us to upgrade/switch to a Beach Villa for our first 5 nights (we are Titanium/LTP).

If anyone has any current questions about the resort, let me know.
They did a private manta seeing/swimming for me. I would highly recommend that... I went with my kids (9/11 back then) on a small speedboat with somebody driving the boat and a spotter.
It was amazing. If needed i can send you some pic's
Old Mar 16, 2023, 9:50 am

JW vs W maldives

Originally Posted by mbbash217
I need some advice and questions answered for my upcoming honeymoon trip in May!

To give you some context, I've done a lot of research between W, St. Regis, WA, Westin, and JW and as I wanted to book St. Regis, my wife did ask me to reconsider since it was pretty hefty on the price (not that we can't afford it) and if we can stay at a more cost saving place. I know the "quality of service" will be different from St. Regis and that's okay.

As I'm leaning more toward the W at the moment for the Spectacular OWV, some of my questions are below.
  1. I've read a lot about noise from the DJ, seaplanes, and boats, but is this really a big issue? I'm afraid of not being able to rest/chill peacefully
  2. Can anyone chime in about privacy with Spectacular OWV? I understand that W is more popular and gets busy so curious to know if privacy is really an issue or not.
  3. Some reviews had mentioned the decks and other parts of the resort are being 'outdated' or 'wear & tear' issues (that's just the nature of things), but is this an issue?

Any helpful advice/tips would be helpful! Thanks!
I would like to ask a similar question but more in regards staying between the W and JW Marriott in April for my honeymoon as I am planning to stay there for 5 nights using my points.

i would prefer to book W based on the "vibe" and house reef but I did want to ask a few questions. As I am a Bonvoy Platinum Elite I was hoping someone could answer any questions on top:

1. My wife is vegetarian (does not eat fish and eggs) and wanted to know out of the W and JW (or even other hotels) do they have good vegetarian options? My research showed that JW had more restaurants available compared to the W but I was not sure if the W catered well for vegetarians.
2. We would like to do some water sports and other activities so which resort would you recommend?
3. We would like to stay in an overwater Villa with a private pool if possible, which resort would you recommend has better OWV with private pool and service?

We would like to stay what is considered good value for money spending. Ideally I have read it is sometimes better to pay extra for the half/board / All-inclusive as it works out better than paying individually... is that true?

Really appreciate your feedback.

Last edited by bjani; Mar 16, 2023 at 9:59 am Reason: updating text and spelling
Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:07 am

W Maldives vs JW Marriott

Hi All,

I would like to ask a similar question but more in regards staying between the W and JW Marriott in April for my honeymoon as I am planning to stay there for 5 nights using my points.

I would prefer to book W based on the "vibe" and house reef but I did want to ask a few questions. As I am a Bonvoy Platinum Elite I was hoping someone could answer any questions on top:

1. My wife is vegetarian (does not eat fish and eggs) and wanted to know out of the W and JW (or even other hotels) do they have good vegetarian options? My research showed that JW had more restaurants available compared to the W but I was not sure if the W catered well for vegetarians.
2. We would like to do some water sports and other activities so which resort would you recommend?
3. We would like to stay in an overwater Villa with a private pool if possible, which resort would you recommend has better OWV with private pool and service?

We would like to stay what is considered good value for money spending. Ideally I have read it is sometimes better to pay extra for the half/board / All-inclusive as it works out better than paying individually... is that true?

Really appreciate your feedback.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Wow a lot of great information here, planning our trip to the W now. Can someone tell me when the sea plane is billed? Is it paid at the time of booking or some later date/arrival?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Wow a lot of great information here, planning our trip to the W now. Can someone tell me when the sea plane is billed? Is it paid at the time of booking or some later date/arrival?

At the time of the booking. At least that’s when I paid when I booked directly through Marriott.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Nicetrymaldives
At the time of the booking. At least that’s when I paid when I booked directly through Marriott.
this is correct
Old Apr 10, 2023, 2:17 pm

Anyone used Marriott’s friends and family discount at W Maldives and know what the process is like? My friend owns a Marriott and he is giving us ‘friends and family’ discount form for our honeymoon — daily rate goes down from $1.9k-$2k down to $469 per night in dec 2023 for the spectacular overwater villa. Not sure how true that is… would be interested to hear from someone who has used it before.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Nicetrymaldives
This wasn't my experience. I stayed on points and the seaplane charge, including excess baggage charges were billed and paid at check out.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 11:46 am

Does the hotel happen to have prescription snorkeling goggles for the visually impaired?
Old Apr 25, 2023, 12:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by swordswallower69
Does the hotel happen to have prescription snorkeling goggles for the visually impaired?
Highly doubt it. I've been very happy with this pair: https://getwetstore.com/products/pro...-able-mk285-rx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.