Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
- Better house reef (?)
This is not a question - it's definitely way better at the W than the Ritz which is too new to have a good house reef.

I haven't been to either one of these yet but have been following both threads and read reviews extensively on both. If you care a lot about the sea life then W is better. For everything else Ritz wins.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by JRG2025
Hi Mike,

I can’t speak to the comparison between the two, but I can speak to the W as I am here now on day 3 of a 5 night stay on points. I booked the Fabulous OW villa and was upgraded to the Spectacular OW villa. (I am a lifetime platinum.). The Spectacular villa has a hammock and I believe it is often available on points.

The staff here is simply amazing and to a person, they love working here and it shows. Their attention to detail, smiles and desire to please the guest is truly something special. If you choose the W, I don’t think you will be disappointed.
Seconded. Arrived today for a 7-night stay on points. Platinum status recognized immediately at the airport lounge with an upgrade to a Fabulous OV. We’ve been pretty blown away for the reasons you stated above and others. In particular, after arriving at the airport on the red eye, in lieu of having to wait around several hours for the first seaplane to the W, the the team got us on an earlier seaplane to a nearby island and arranged for the W speedboat to pick us up from there.
jaejaez likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Canadiantraveller11
Will be at the W July 18-24. Does anyone have updated pictures or links to their menus? Received some in Dec but likely they are outdated.

Also, we are there on points. Paying ala cart for all F&B. Any packages available for F&B outside of the boards?
Would be interested in this too if anyone has any recent experience.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by xxxxx
Would be interested in this too if anyone has any recent experience.
I inquired with them and provided link to all their F&B menus here.
http://marriott.vserve-protecht.com/...1NBYVY2TT0/1/1
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Gc1diamond
As of June 22 there are no F/B discounts in the Marriott properties in the Maldives.
Do you mean that members will not get the 10/15/20 % OFF they were offering in past?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:50 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ogmios2
Do you mean that members will not get the 10/15/20 % OFF they were offering in past?
That program is completely done now, not just in Maldives but in all other parts of Asia where it was still offered until this month.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
That program is completely done now, not just in Maldives but in all other parts of Asia where it was still offered until this month.
Thanks. I also just got the confirmation from Hotel that indeed it is done and done.

Traveling is starting to be depressing. :-(

I had trip planned for March 2020 and covid hit. Took me 2 months of planning but finally had the perfect cheap (all points) schedule with 2 First Class on Emirates all the way to Male and 2 First Class back on Etihad. Paid very little fees and points using Alaska, etc.
Fast forward and got points stuck in Alaska and no way to redeem on Emirates anymore, Etihad changed their whole schedule and redeem values, Marriott changed theirs, etc.
What was supposed to be a dream bucket list type of vacation that I could never ever afford without points, has now turned into a very disappointing experience, seeing that prices increased at the W and not one discount to offset some of it.
friedablass likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:38 am

Any recent experience there as titanium? Per their email, they don't provide upgrades
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:34 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by randomdude
Any recent experience there as titanium? Per their email, they don't provide upgrades
All-suite properties aren’t required to upgrade further since you can’t book anything less than a standard suite, which is the highest category you’re officially entitled to. That said, there have been many reports of one-category upgrades for elites.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:26 pm

Anyone tried the afternoon/dinner on the private island? $950 for 2, is it worth it?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 9:34 am

quick review:
- the staff is super friendly, but less formal than the StR or Ritz
- the food in the "Kitchen" is overpriced and not great. $45 for a small bowl of tom yon soup with 2 shrimps and 3 mushrooms.
- however, the grill buffet or sushi night (eat all you can) were excellent in terms of price and quality
- throughout the day, the staff will regularly promote such special events, which can feel pushy at time
- activities such as SUP are limited to 1h, which feels like a really cheap service for a hotel
- the rooms are definitely dated. The whole resort is pretty old, and due for an upgrade (coming next year)
- we tried the lunch on the private island, that was a fun experience. This is a proposal place we saw how they prepare for it, they will definitely make it a special day
- the absolute best thing is the snorkeling. you don't need to swim far to be surrounded by hundreds of colorful fish, with the occasional shark and turtle.

Initially ranked in the same category as the StR or Ritz, this is definitely a step down. However, with dynamic awards, it's now where it should be compared to the others. Let's wait until the renovation is complete to see if that will change.
renila and friedablass like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 11:23 pm

Has anyone been diving with the W? What was your experience like? Were the dive sites worth it?
Old Nov 5, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Delete

Last edited by JNelson113; Nov 5, 2022 at 8:08 am
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:17 am

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by randomdude
quick review:
- the rooms are definitely dated. The whole resort is pretty old, and due for an upgrade (coming next year)
Anyone else find the rooms dated? I don't care about a little wear and tear here and there but I'm trying to avoid the moist/mildew/mold smell that occurs sometimes in tropical locations. We're planning our honeymoon and burning some points to stay here. The house reef is what's drawing me to it but I'd save about 100k+ if we booked at the Westin, Sheraton, or Meridien instead. We're Titanium members, don't really care much about great service, just want to be left alone mostly and have plenty of free bottled water!
Old Nov 6, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ruby&carlos
Anyone else find the rooms dated? I don't care about a little wear and tear here and there but I'm trying to avoid the moist/mildew/mold smell that occurs sometimes in tropical locations. We're planning our honeymoon and burning some points to stay here. The house reef is what's drawing me to it but I'd save about 100k+ if we booked at the Westin, Sheraton, or Meridien instead. We're Titanium members, don't really care much about great service, just want to be left alone mostly and have plenty of free bottled water!
I have not stayed at the W, but one thing is for sure that you should not go to the Sheraton. The Westin and Le Meridien are both great alternatives; I'm sure you know that they both have comprehensive threads here where you can do your research and decide if you'd like to switch to one of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.