Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by CL9
I have take a look on the menus of both resorts and the prices are nearly the same but the selection is much more better at St.Regeis than the W.
And I thought the 20% discount for plat will also be at St. Regis.
If I am wrong then you are right and the cost at W would be significant cheaper.
To best of my knowledge there are no plat discounts at StR, so W should be at least 20% cheaper. I was comparing prices around a year ago and the W was cheaper, especially for bottles of wine.
CL9 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:46 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Thanks for the feedback regarding the cost of F&B being a consideration when comparing St.Regis and W. Quickly scanning the St.Regis thread I do not think there is a discount on F&B for Plats so I believe @porkie is correct.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:59 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by escape4
If booking on points, would there be a reason to stay at W instead of St.Regis? Both cost the same so I was going to book at St.Regis unless there is a reason I should consider W.
We have stated at both. The W was better in our opinion. The waters around the W have had longer to recover from the disruption of building a resort. There were these strange creatures washing up on the St. Regis beach that apparently eat the coral. Everything even, we'd go to the W again. That said, after two visits to the Maldives my wife prefers exploring new places we have not been.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
would someone or the lurkers be able to help me out?

I booked 5 nights at a Wonderful Beach Oasis, King Bed, at the W Maldives for 20-25 March 2019. I was charged a total of 340,000 Marriott Points. At first I thought this was a glitch, in that they had mistakenly charged me 85,000 points (which is what this place will cost from 2019) instead of 60,000, and figured I'd get it sorted out next week when everything settles.

However, when I checked my account balance I saw this. This surely can't be right? A wonderful beach oasis is the standard room at this property?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by awxm88

I booked 5 nights at a Wonderful Beach Oasis, King Bed, at the W Maldives for 20-25 March 2019. I was charged a total of 340,000 Marriott Points. At first I thought this was a glitch, in that they had mistakenly charged me 85,000 points (which is what this place will cost from 2019) instead of 60,000, and figured I'd get it sorted out next week when everything settles.

However, when I checked my account balance I saw this. This surely can't be right? A wonderful beach oasis is the standard room at this property?
Looks right to me, seems like there aren't bookable rooms yet at that 60k level and they're adding an upcharge for suites... for example my OWV at St regis maldives was 85k a night. Point deductions look exactly like yours
3rdworldresident and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Westin
Looks right to me, seems like there aren't bookable rooms yet at that 60k level and they're adding an upcharge for suites... for example my OWV at St regis maldives was 85k a night. Point deductions look exactly like yours
but in your case, the base room at the STR Maldives is a garden villa at 60k. one step up is the OWV at 85k, so that makes sense.

in the case of the W Maldives, the base room is the wonderful beach oasis. so that should price at 60k no? one step above that is the OWV at 85k
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
but in your case, the base room at the STR Maldives is a garden villa at 60k. one step up is the OWV at 85k, so that makes sense.

in the case of the W Maldives, the base room is the wonderful beach oasis. so that should price at 60k no? one step above that is the OWV at 85k

Issue is I dont think anyone has been able to book the garden villa with points. Also the bora bora property is having the same issue as you
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Titanium | Hilton Diamond
I called in to book a room at the W Maldives today and was able to secure an OWV for 85K. The agent couldn't even see points availability for the beach oasis even though it was available for cash.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by atlion25
I called in to book a room at the W Maldives today and was able to secure an OWV for 85K. The agent couldn't even see points availability for the beach oasis even though it was available for cash.
exactly! for the 85k i'm paying i should be getting an OWV, not a wonderful beach oasis.

grrrr....anticipate a long call with customer service ahead...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:52 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Another difference between W and St.Regis is that W is listed in the T&C as being an exception to the points table, while St.Regis is not. So that means we should expect standard rooms for 60k at St.Regis once IT issues are resolved, but it would be less of a surprise if standard rooms were not offered for 60k at W.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:29 am
CL9

Programs: MR Platinum, QRPC Platinum

Could you book online? Or have you called the hotline? If so (hotline) did they not told you that they would charge 85k points?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by CL9
Could you book online? Or have you called the hotline? If so (hotline) did they not told you that they would charge 85k points?
long story short- called in and got my award "fixed" to an OWB at 85k a night with 5th night free.

sad i didn't get the st regis, but hey, it seems a bit churlish to complain.

besides i hear the reef is much better at the w

#sourgrapes
atlion25 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:44 am
CL9

Programs: MR Platinum, QRPC Platinum
long story short- called in and got my award "fixed" to an OWB at 85k a night with 5th night free.

sad i didn't get the st regis, but hey, it seems a bit churlish to complain.

besides i hear the reef is much better at the w

#sourgrapes
For an OWB the 85k is okay but I do not understand why I do not get the Beach Bungalow for the announced 60k points.
I spend already a lot of time with the hotline.
You called the SPG hotline or directly the hotel?
It is so frustrating to see that others can book and get award nights and I am not able....

And yes, if you go to Maldives because you want a nice beach and a good see/reef, the W should be the better choice.
If newer rooms, more food choice and better redemption value is more important then the St.Regis would be better choice.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:24 pm

For an OWB at the W, which side would be better?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Why would anyone pay full board or half board if breakfast is included with all stays? I just booked the W on points, made nonrefundable plane reservations and am locked in....relying on what the website says about breakfast being included.

Also, I am seeing references online to the "Sweet Spots" around the property that are stocked 24/7 with complimentary ice cream, drinks, fruit etc. But a reviewer on TA suggested that that is no longer the case? Anyone have an update? I'm not going to be thrilled if this was taken away recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.