Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by trouble747
Oh cool, thanks for the info. Like I said, we know nothing about Marriott. And my partner would be marriott gold if he's starwood gold, right (and the accounts are linked)?
Yes.

J.W. in London has an exceptional lounge, in my opinion. Enough that it can replace dinner. The neighborhood is great, too.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:46 am
Suspended

Of course, You should take advantage of certification.

I think that you should go that place where you want to go but some reason has not gone that.

Have a nice Journey.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by bergamini
Gold gets lounge access: http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...nefits/gold.mi

I'd pick Grosvenor as a gold for sure. Many more rooms thus much less likely to have a bad view like I did at PL.
That's been my experience too. Not that I get much of a view at GS (I prefer the quiet rooms) but usually an upgrade to a very large room by London standards.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Yes.

J.W. in London has an exceptional lounge, in my opinion. Enough that it can replace dinner. The neighborhood is great, too.
Agree on the wonderful lounge, though the evening menu varies and is not as substantive as you find in Bangkok or even Mexico City. Definitely nicer than GS.

The neighborhood is more of a personal preference. If you like the park view and/or exercising in the park then JW can't be beat. But personally I prefer the GS location which is steps from Bond Street tube convenience stores, and numerous reasonably priced pubs and restaurants. Not to mention Oxford St shopping. YMMV

Originally Posted by yhz123
Platinum member staying in London for five days on points this August.
family vacation, two adults, two children.

What would you consider to be the best value (not necessarily the lowest cost) based on Platinum status, lounge access, location, etc.

I'm looking to use points, but I've also included the nightly rate without points.

Grosvenor Square
180,000 + 180 GBP/night
or 616 pounds per night
As noted above (I know it's a long thread) we faced this situation last summer and opted to go with the GS. The rate gets you a 1 BR suite which is huge and more than enough space for a couple in a separate BR with door plus a huge living room with a pullout couch. Lounge access for all if you are Gold. The location is ideal for families as McD's and Boots are right next to Bond St tube station. Plus many family friendly places nearby e.g. Wagamama and very central and quick to many tourist sights.

My preference on location would have been County Hall but they don't seem to offer rooms for 4 using MR points.

Last edited by Boraxo; Aug 16, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:53 pm

London Park Lane vs Country Hall

I'm currently booked 4 days at the Park Plaza Country Hall at a pretty low rate with breakfast and a separate living room. We like hotels that are new or have been renovated in the past couple years, and have really been enjoying good executive lounges (Sheraton Grand Salzburg and Hilton Vienna Plaza come to mind). I am Marriott Gold so I would get those with Marriott.

I could stay in London 1 more day to get the 5th day free with points at Marriott Park Lane or Marriott Country Hall. They are the same points (180,000 for 5 nights), which are a good value per my calculations, but the Park Lane is currently a lot more expensive so even better value than the CH.

How would you compare theses hotels? The CH rooms look super nice and fairly large. But I read in a thread that the food choices in the lounge are much better at Park Lane.

We spent one night in London on the way back on a recent trip and stayed at the IC Park Lane and were quite unimpressed. But I used points and probably got the lousiest room in the place. Super tiny, could hear people in the hallway. Not a great day since I already made the mistake of trying to get from the tube station to the hotel with bags. It seemed easy enough, both on the same corner. Except you can't cross the street so you have to go down and up stairs 4 times!

This is only our 2nd time to London. Would like to check out different parts of the city by tube, and also day trip to a smaller towns by train. We arrive by plane Heathrow and leave by train to Edinburgh.

Last edited by qofmiwok; Aug 19, 2017 at 2:56 pm Reason: added last paragraph
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by qofmiwok
How would you compare theses hotels? The CH rooms look super nice and fairly large. But I read in a thread that the food choices in the lounge are much better at Park Lane.
There are endless comparisons and debates in the thread referencing Marriott family hotels in London. Each property has their champions. Suffice to say, much has to do with what a person is looking for.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...gland-244.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...y-hall-43.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...rk-lane-3.html
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I could stay in London 1 more day to get the 5th day free with points at Marriott Park Lane or Marriott Country Hall. They are the same points (180,000 for 5 nights), which are a good value per my calculations, but the Park Lane is currently a lot more expensive so even better value than the CH.

This is only our 2nd time to London. Would like to check out different parts of the city by tube, and also day trip to a smaller towns by train. We arrive by plane Heathrow and leave by train to Edinburgh.
County Hall used to be my favorite Marriott in London. I last stayed in November 2016. In my opinion, the hotel has went down a star level since the renovations. Yes, the new rooms are gorgeous but there were no slippers, no robe, and no enhanced toiletries (like a dental kit). Also, there was no turndown service.

In my past experience, international Marriott hotels -- let alone one of the most popular hotels in the entire chain -- were always a star or two above Marriott hotels back home in North America. Outside of the concierge and doorman, I don't think the County Hall property is any better than a good, renovated Marriott stateside like the Marriott Georgetown in Washington, D.C.

I can't speak to the Park Lane property, but if you have the points try the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House. You said you've been to London before, so I assume you have seen all the touristy things in and around County Hall. Mayfair, the area in which the J.W. Marriott is located, is really, really nice. The street parking spaces could be a Bentley or Rolls-Royce dealership. Not only does it have, in my opinion, the best lounge in London but the service is on par with a Ritz-Carlton.

By the way, I have stayed a few times, both paid and on points, at the Park Plaza London Riverbank. It's a little further down (maybe 10 minutes, at most, by foot from the County Hall), but still within walking distance of everything. (I walk everywhere, including all the way to St. Paul's -- even from the J.W. Marriott in Mayfair.) Because of its location, I have also found it a little cheaper, both paid and with points, than other Club Carlson properties. The service, in my experience, is very hit-or-miss. All of the staff are foreign with so-so English fluency; more so than other London hotels. But as I have zero use for all of the Club Carlson points I accumulated through credit card spending I often find myself staying at the Park Plaza London Riverbank.
unclepants likes this.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Aug 20, 2017 at 9:33 am
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I'm currently booked 4 days at the Park Plaza Country Hall at a pretty low rate with breakfast and a separate living room.
Stayed in Park Plaza County hall for a night last summer as we didn't have enough MR points. Not even in same class as Marriott GS or GH and prob not CH either. Park plaza "suite" was tiny barely enough room to walk around. Location is great but you get what you pay for in terms of space & luxury. Maybe a good use of Carlson free nights given lodging rates in London - convenient to Waterloo too.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Stayed in Park Plaza County hall for a night last summer as we didn't have enough MR points. Not even in same class as Marriott GS or GH and prob not CH either. Park plaza "suite" was tiny barely enough room to walk around. Location is great but you get what you pay for in terms of space & luxury. Maybe a good use of Carlson free nights given lodging rates in London - convenient to Waterloo too.
Slightly off-topic but the four times I've stayed at the Park Plaza London Riverbank I also consulted the reviews of the other Park Plaza by the County Hall.

The Park Plaza London Riverbank has been totally renovated since I last stayed, but I would agree that that the Park Plaza brand is a half-star below a good Marriott, let alone a J.W. Marriott.

It also reconfirms my perception of Club Carlson as a useless portfolio of brands. Radisson is way too inconsistent, particularly here in the United States. There are some nice Club Carlson properties in the Nordic countries, but they are below the good Marriott or J.W. Marriott properties.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Since you've been to London before (and presumably saw Big Ben, etc, on your prior trip I'd recommend Park Lane. It's literally next to the Marble Arch tube stop, so you'd be able to get around by tube easily. JW/Grosvenor House is also an option & possibly better chance of an upgrade due to size.

Cheers.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:53 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
Favorite London property for couples?

Thinking about taking my girl to London (her first time) over valentines day and for you lucky enough to travel there frequently on business, wondering what your favorite Marriott property is.

Although I'd rather not spend the points required for a Cat 18 or 20 (just kidding, although it bothers me that London and Paris always seem to be so darn expensive), but it's only for 5 nights, so what the heck?

Marriott Park Lane? JW Grosvenor House? St Pancreas Renaissance? Something else?

Would like a nice property at a good location, so I'm prepared to step up and spend for a ridiculous Cat 8/9. Any of these known to offer Plats particular good service & nice lounges for breakfast (and maybe evening snacks if we're tired and back to the hotel in time)?

Thanks,
Old Aug 27, 2017, 5:42 pm

Have you reviewed the numerous existing threads on these and other London properties?

Have you reviewed the international lounge/breakfast sticky thread?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 5:50 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
No and no. I searched for "London" in the Marriott forum and didn't see what I was looking for. Saw a bunch of threads requesting info on individual properties. Saw a bunch of threads about runny eggs. That was about it.

Not aware of a forum on international lounges/breakfasts but will look for it now, thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: MR rewards
The Park tower Knightsbridge is my 1st chioce my 2nd is Marriott parklane then Jw
all of them are great just find the best deal ..
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hts
Not aware of a forum on international lounges/breakfasts
Not a forum, just one of the nine sticky threads in this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.