Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: LTP, PP
They say its based up historical redemptions at the property in comparison to its peers within the entire chain, adjusted yearly.

I say that's BS since they tend to move up, up, up in disproportion to those moving down. Average expected room rate has got to be overriding factor.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Supposedly it's a combo of room rate + redemption demand.

Cheers.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Supposedly it's a combo of room rate + redemption demand.
+1.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
It's not surprising to me that a room that averages $500 per night would require twice as many points per night as a room that averages $250 per night -- regardless of which is more luxurious.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
London property categories vs. other major cities as identified by marriott.com

From marriott.com hotel search page, 28 hotels are identified as "London".

Four are Cat (CY Gatwick) 4 or 5 (Bexleyheath, Waltham Abbey, Cheshunt). These are, by and large, near/at/past the M25 - literally miles from the center of London.

The remaining 24 are Cat 6 (6), Cat 7 (4), Cat 8 (4) and Cat 9 (7) with one Tier 3 (London EDITION). The Cat 9s and the EDITION are clustered in about a 2 km x 1 km ellipse at the center of London. The London Cat 9s are AU (1), JW (1) , MC (4) and BR (Renaissance) (1).

If you look at Washington DC, 24 hotels are listed: Cat 6 (6), Cat 7 (14), Cat 8 (2) and Tier 4 (2). In the Cat 6 group, 2 CYs, 2 RIs, 1 FI and 1 Marriott (Wardman Park). Looking at the 18 DC remaining hotels (Cat 7-9, Tier 4), there are 4 CY, 3 RI, 1 FI with the rest AU (1), JW(1), RC (Ritz-Carlton) (2), BR (2) and MC (4). 15 of these 18 hotels are in the NW quadrant of DC.

In the 86 hotels marriott.com lists for San Francisco, there are 12 hotels that are Cat 8, Cat 9 and Tier 4. Of the 9 actually in San Francisco, 3 are CY, with the rest AU (1), JW (1), MC (4), BR (1) and RC (1). 2 of these properties are at Fisherman's Wharf with the rest (7) being around Union Square and SOMA.

For the 24 Marriott hotels listed for Shanghai, 8 are CY and the rest JW (2), MC (5), BR (7), RC (2). The CYs are either Cat 1 or Cat 2, so everything else is Cat 2-6 with the RCs at Tier 2 and Tier 5.

So, yes, tier categories for Marriott hotels in London are generally higher than other major cities. However, as others have mentioned, the category tiers are driven by demand. And because of the demand for Marriott hotels at the center of London, their reward category levels are some of the highest in the world.

However, even if you could convince Marriott to open a bunch of Courtyards (CY), Residence Inns (RI) and Fairfield Inns (FI) in and around Central London similar to major US cities, it is very likely that those too would have very high category level rates again because of the demand.

David

Last edited by DELee; Jan 14, 2017 at 9:14 am Reason: Fixed Cat 8s in DC
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The obvious US comparison to London is NY.

NYC: (1) Tier 5, (1) Tier 4, (4) Cat 9, (22) Cat 8, (3) Cat 7

London - Cat 7.7 average
NYC - Cat 8.2 average

Originally Posted by DELee
If you look at Washington DC, 24 hotels are listed: Cat 6 (6), Cat 7 (14), Cat 2 (8) and Tier 4 (2).
I don't know of a single Cat 2 in DC, let alone 8.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CPRich

Originally Posted by DELee
From marriott.com If you look at Washington DC, 24 hotels are listed: Cat 6 (6), Cat 7 (14), Cat 2 (8) and Tier 4 (2).
I don't know of a single Cat 2 in DC, let alone 8.
Correct - should be: "Cat 8 (2)". Sorry about the typo. Fixed it in my post.

Originally Posted by CPRich
The obvious US comparison to London is NY.

NYC: (1) Tier 5, (1) Tier 4, (4) Cat 9, (22) Cat 8, (3) Cat 7

London - Cat 7.7 average
NYC - Cat 8.2 average
The reason I didn't try to do the analysis with marriott.com's results for New York is the number of properties that come up that are either in New Jersey or on Long Island - whether Cat 2's through Cat 5's. With 139 Marriott hotels in the Greater New York City area, the comparison is harder with London given the NY properties are "accessible" to NYC but not in NYC (assume primarily Manhattan).

The build out of "lower category" London properties isn't there yet - and likely will not given the competition and brand awareness, challenges of either reflagging existing non-Marriott hotels or renovating existing older structures to become hotels as well as the profitability to have more higher category and higher end brands in Central London. Also, adding SPG properties isn't going to make the comparison any better for the OP since most of those are also higher end hotels at higher cost/point redemption rates.

David
Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, UA Silver, SouthWest CP, Hilton Diamond
If it were me I'd probably stick w/ what you've got. Rooms at EDITION are very small. If you were going to try & LNF-match, I'd do w/ County Hall.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by pwrshift
If you've never been to London I would recommend County Hall...it's right beside the EYE, Westminster Bridge, Big Ben, boat tours, etc. An easy walk to lots of the tourist sites.

We stayed at Park Lane at Oxford St. last time and in spite of it being remodelled at the time (now finished) it was great boutique type hotel...and 20 steps to the subway. Great executive lounge too. Oxford is a fun, busy and noisy street but we couldn't hear any of it in our room which faced It.
I was able to get a LNF with the Marriott County Hall! Took a while, but persistence won out. However, it is still a little bit more expensive than the deal I got with the Grosvenor House JW Marriott. Btw, I will be maintaining my Gold Status for the year, so hopefully that makes the decision a bit easier.

Here's what I got:

Grosvenor House JW Marriott
Deluxe Room, Guest room, 1 King (20sqm/215sqft-29sqm/312sqft)
1,149.75 GBP for 7 nights

London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Deluxe Room, Guest room, 1 King (30sqm/323sqft-45sqm/484sqft)
1,359.82 GBP for 7 nights

Is the County Hall worth the extra money for the location? We will be doing quite a few 'touristy' things, as it is his first time. Is there a decent likelyhood as a Gold I would receive a room with a view?

TIA!!!

Last edited by karrjl; Jan 14, 2017 at 12:41 pm Reason: room description update
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Folks - my wife, 10 year old, and myself are off to London in March. Based on all the reviews, I was planning on using points at the Park Lane Marriott. Just called the hotel and they are saying there is a strict no rollaway policy in the hotel and the only way to accommodate 3 would be an executive suite with a sofa bed unless we want to squeeze into a king or a 2 twin bed. Is this really accurate? Any experiences with a rollaway at this property? Many thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canuckshark
Folks - my wife, 10 year old, and myself are off to London in March. Based on all the reviews, I was planning on using points at the Park Lane Marriott. Just called the hotel and they are saying there is a strict no rollaway policy in the hotel and the only way to accommodate 3 would be an executive suite with a sofa bed unless we want to squeeze into a king or a 2 twin bed. Is this really accurate? Any experiences with a rollaway at this property? Many thanks.
They allowed rollaways in a very limited number of rooms prior to the renovation, but they have not allowed them since.

We often travel with our son and have been able to get two double beds at both the County Hall and the Edition. The Edition only has a couple of double doubles, and they require a slight upcharge. This fee is totally worth it (at £30 per night it is lower than the rollaway charge at other locations). It also nets you a larger room, which is important at the Edition. At the St. Pancras Renaissance and the Grosvenor House we have had King rooms with a rollaway. Do take care with the rollaway charges (£35 per night at Grosvenor House, for example).
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil
They allowed rollaways in a very limited number of rooms prior to the renovation, but they have not allowed them since.

We often travel with our son and have been able to get two double beds at both the County Hall and the Edition. The Edition only has a couple of double doubles, and they require a slight upcharge. This fee is totally worth it (at £30 per night it is lower than the rollaway charge at other locations). It also nets you a larger room, which is important at the Edition. At the St. Pancras Renaissance and the Grosvenor House we have had King rooms with a rollaway. Do take care with the rollaway charges (£35 per night at Grosvenor House, for example).
The Marble Arch Marriott & the St. Ermins Autograph Collection have 'family rooms'. Marriott Grosvenor Square (which is different than Grosvenor House) has double double rooms.

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
The Marble Arch Marriott & the St. Ermins Autograph Collection have 'family rooms'. Marriott Grosvenor Square (which is different than Grosvenor House) has double double rooms.

Cheers.
Thank you both; I'll try the properties you mention above.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by karrjl
Is the County Hall worth the extra money for the location? We will be doing quite a few 'touristy' things, as it is his first time. Is there a decent likelyhood as a Gold I would receive a room with a view? TIA!!!
I can only speak to County Hall, but we enjoyed the location. It's right across from Parliament and Big Ben. Upgrades can be had to a Big Ben view. Pretty busy across Westminster Bridge, very good location to "touristy" activities, and Westminster tube station within 5-6 minutes. You can walk to Waterloo in about the same time.

The hotel is set back off the street, so it has limited noise. We had a Thames/Big Ben facing room where we heard some noise before the crowds died down, but it was minimal at best.

I loved this hotel. Gillray's was a great place to eat when we were too tired to venture out after a very long day out.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:48 pm

What is the standard treatment for a Marriott Gold at the Park Lane if I book a Deluxe Room?

The PL really looks like a gem of a property and quite reasonable compared to the IC Park Lane, Dorchester, 4S Park Lane, Claridges, Connaught, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by abcx; Jan 18, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:50 am

The most expensive meal of my life was at the Connaught ($450 for 1 person; exchange rate sucked back then, but even so!) Also, rooms at Claridges & Connaught are small. Can't speak to Dorchester or 4S.

As a Gold you have free access to the Park Lane executive lounge & potential upgrade to better room or suite.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.