Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cmatthews11
Hotel email address: [email protected]

As of October 2021, daily resort charge is $30.00 plus tax, per room, per day. Infusions are subject to change:
  • Daily water sports demonstration/instruction (in Resort Pool): Snorkel and surf
  • Daily fitness classes: Yoga & water aerobics
  • Daily cultural activities: Hula, Ukelele, Lei making, Pond fishing
  • Welcome Macadamia Nut Gift (1 time only on the hotel side)
  • Wi-Fi access
Confirmed for Platinum Elite+ members, breakfast at Lava's includes 2 entrees from the menu + 2 drinks (coffee/juice). Additional items may cost additional, depending on waiter/waitress. Guests can choose a one-time deposit of 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast.

There are reclining beach chairs poolside that ate complimentary (no view of the beach for the most part), all other seating there is a charge, such as:
  • Beach chairs: $10 per day, per chair (8AM-5PM)
  • Beach umbrella: $18
  • Green cabanas (Beach side, seats 2): $75 per day
  • Red cabanas (Pool side, seats 4-6): $150
Self-parking is free and valet is not currently being offered. Proof of vaccination was required by security at check-in, unclear if negative covid test will suffice.

Besides breakfast, no clear additional benefits for loyalty members aside from the chance of an upgrade and/or late checkout.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
Sheraton Kauai Options (Thanksgiving)

I've looked through a lot of the kauai posts on this property (thanks for the insight, all)...and have come up with the following options for our stay at the Sheraton Kauai (first time on the island) this thanksgiving (11/22-27)...what sounds like a winner?

Conditions:

- Need 2 doubles (me, wife, 12 yo daughter)
- Avoid Garden Wing at all costs
- I'm SPG Gold
- I only have 12K points to play with

Room Rates:

- Garden View = $239
- Dlx Garden View = $355
- Dlx Oceanfront = $405

$405 being pretty high for our planned budget, but wanting something better than the garden wing, here's what I'm considering:

1 – Book the Garden and hope for a comp upgrade (doubtful, it would seem)
2 – Book the Garden and use points for an upgrade
3 – Try the 50% off rack rate thing for the Oceanfront
4 – Book 4 nights of oceanfront and one free night with my measly points
5 – Just suck it up and book the oceanfront and be done with it

Given $355 or $405 for the ocean wing (if I’ve read correctly, both are over there)…what would you sage folks do?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:22 pm

If it wasn't a potentially busy weekend like Thanksgiving, I'd book the Garden view and hope for an upgrade, We did this when we were only SPG preferred and got upgraded to a Deluxe Ocean View...so I know they do it.

The Deluxe Ocean View is very nice, so much so that last January we booked the Garden View Deluxe on points and paid an extras $65 /night just to guarantee getting one. The view is outstanding. We sat on our lanai nearly every night to watch the sunset.

We used a couple of the garden rooms for late checkout. They have been renovated and are quite bit nicer than they used to be, It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world to stay there.

That said, if you can afford it I'd go with the Ocean front. BTW, you get the fifth night free , if that helps. You want the Ocean Wing, not the beach wing.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 2:02 am
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
Why avoid Garden Wing at all costs (sorry, haven't seen those threads, I'll try searching)? I booked one of those Sheraton Vacation Ownership deals to the Sheraton Kauai next March/April --- will I be put in the Garden Wing? Also, is it possible to upgrade if staying on one of those packages?
Old Jun 22, 2007, 3:52 pm

Winning Plan

If you are planning on paying cash, I'd look into condos on Poipu or other hotels. I stayed at the Sheraton on points during Thanksgiving last year for 5 nights and an additional 5 nights (paid) in a beach front Condo in Poipu.

IMO, the Sheraton is still not worth the rates you have noted even under the Hawaii premium price standard. While not a dump, Sheraton Kauai is not a great resort. The main pool is TINY. The water slide, if you can call it that, is shorter than a beach chair. We stayed in the Garden Wing which was fine by us. People complain about the walk from the Garden Wing to the beach and the main pool but that was not a big issue for us. We actually enjoyed the tranquility of the Garden Wing pool which was less frenzied than the main pool, which again, was tiny. Paying extra for the Ocean Wing or Beach Wing will save you the walk, get you a better view and probably give you more square footage than the Garden Room, but it cannot make up for the lacking resort amenities.

The beach is nice but most hotels and condos on Poipu beach strip also has a nice beach. As a matter of fact, IMO, it is nicer on the Eastern side of Poipu near the children's beach about four hotels/condos down. I paid about $1,000 (including tax) for 5 nights in a two bedroom beach front condo next door. Since the difference between a condo and a resort hotel is supposed to be the hotel amenities (an area where Sheraton did not excel), I felt I got much more value out of the condo. You won't get SPG Points but you'll have more room, a kitchen and extra money in your pocket while giving up very little.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 8:51 am

FYI - The Hilton Kauai has some fantastic rates right now. I've never stayed there, but it apparently underwent a major renovation since it changed ownership in the last year. An oceanview room for you can be had for $189 for your dates. A lot of people have noted getting discounts via the Entertainment Card rate for substantially lower.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Da5id
If it wasn't a potentially busy weekend like Thanksgiving, I'd book the Garden view and hope for an upgrade, We did this when we were only SPG preferred and got upgraded to a Deluxe Ocean View...so I know they do it.

That said, if you can afford it I'd go with the Ocean front. BTW, you get the fifth night free , if that helps. You want the Ocean Wing, not the beach wing.
Thanks for all the advice everyone...we've settled on one night (the first) with M******* points (not sure I should spell out their name on this board)at their property, then 3 nights oceanfront paid, and one with points at the Sheraton.

Fits the budget, earns some Starpoints (maybe not as a net total...but earns some), and we're only giving up a day of Sheraton oceanfront (and it's a long travel day, anyway, so just about any bed will be fine the first night).
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Does any Platinum member has recent exerperience at Sheraton Kauai? Do you get any upgrade for your stay?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by jlcchien
Does any Platinum member has recent exerperience at Sheraton Kauai? Do you get any upgrade for your stay?
We've always been upgraded to an oceanfront room or suite at the SKR. Of course, it depends on the occupancy rate at the property when you are there. Our trips have been during the summer months, though our last stay here was August of '05. Good luck!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:25 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
I got upgraded as a Plat to a large Deluxe Oceanfront room from my booked Ocean View room, but not to a suite.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:43 pm

For the Sheraton Kauai, does anyone have any experience with the difference between the Luxury Ocean View room and the Deluxe Ocean Front Room? Also how does the Garden Suite compare? Would even the Deluxe Garden View (in the Ocean Wing) be better than the Garden Suite?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by thor17
For the Sheraton Kauai, does anyone have any experience with the difference between the Luxury Ocean View room and the Deluxe Ocean Front Room? Also how does the Garden Suite compare? Would even the Deluxe Garden View (in the Ocean Wing) be better than the Garden Suite?
Yes, just stayed here last week for the 5th time.

Don't take the garden suite, it is in the old building and not renovated.

The Deluxe Ocean Front Room is in the Ocean wing (the opposite wing as the pool), and the ground floor is literally 25 feet from the water. The Luxury Ocean View Room (I believe) is in the beach wing.

I'd say, Ocean Wing Ocean Front, then Premium Ocean View, then Deluxe Garden View, then Garden Suite.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 5:30 pm

I don't know what the "garden suites" are at the Sheraton Kauai but the garden rooms across the street used to be like a Motel 6. They remodeled them a little more than a year ago and were really fairly decent, at least the one we used as a courtesy room. They had some of the same furniture as our ocean front in the Ocean Wing. you can't see the ocean from there but its also kind of peaceful and quiet.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I don't know what the "garden suites" are at the Sheraton Kauai but the garden rooms across the street used to be like a Motel 6. They remodeled them a little more than a year ago and were really fairly decent, at least the one we used as a courtesy room. They had some of the same furniture as our ocean front in the Ocean Wing. you can't see the ocean from there but its also kind of peaceful and quiet.
Glad to hear they've been updated. I was over there a couple of years ago and Motel 6 did come to mind more than once.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 2:20 pm

Garden suites are in the garden wing, and the one offered to me was nearer the back of the property - it was semi-updated (not nearly as nice as the new ocean wing rooms, but better than a few years ago). It looks like a partial redo, though all garden wing rooms (regardless of view differneces), have still not been as fully remodeled as the ocean/beach wing rooms.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
We just returned from a 2 night stay at the Sheraton Kauai. We were upgraded from a garden view room to an ocean front room in the ocean wing (ground floor).

View was awesome. I loved it! However, I did not like the room layout, we received 2 full beds and since we were already seven hours late on arrival, we just didn't even fight it. The beds were comfortable, but the room layout was strange. The rooms had been nicely refurbished, but not particularly conducive to lounging. Just because you have two beds does not mean that the room shouldn't have a couch.

The food was mediocre and we were happy to run over to Koloa and places north and west for breakfast.

Concierge was a bit lame, so we made most of our own arrangements.

We did receive a 4 pm check out, but moved to a lagoon view from 12-4pm for this privilege, which was fine, because all we did was shower and change before heading off to Lihue for dinner.

I did love the location though, very close to my favorite beach.

We'll probably stay again, but not eat there.

lala

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.