Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cmatthews11
Hotel email address: [email protected]

As of October 2021, daily resort charge is $30.00 plus tax, per room, per day. Infusions are subject to change:
  • Daily water sports demonstration/instruction (in Resort Pool): Snorkel and surf
  • Daily fitness classes: Yoga & water aerobics
  • Daily cultural activities: Hula, Ukelele, Lei making, Pond fishing
  • Welcome Macadamia Nut Gift (1 time only on the hotel side)
  • Wi-Fi access
Confirmed for Platinum Elite+ members, breakfast at Lava's includes 2 entrees from the menu + 2 drinks (coffee/juice). Additional items may cost additional, depending on waiter/waitress. Guests can choose a one-time deposit of 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast.

There are reclining beach chairs poolside that ate complimentary (no view of the beach for the most part), all other seating there is a charge, such as:
  • Beach chairs: $10 per day, per chair (8AM-5PM)
  • Beach umbrella: $18
  • Green cabanas (Beach side, seats 2): $75 per day
  • Red cabanas (Pool side, seats 4-6): $150
Self-parking is free and valet is not currently being offered. Proof of vaccination was required by security at check-in, unclear if negative covid test will suffice.

Besides breakfast, no clear additional benefits for loyalty members aside from the chance of an upgrade and/or late checkout.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
I was there a week and a half ago for a one night stay before moving up north to the Westin Villas. I was on C&P and got upgraded to an ocean front room a couple of days in advance. The room wasn't anything too special, but nice enough and a nice view of the pool area and the sea beyond. A million times better than the Garden Wing room we spent a couple nights in a few years ago.

They do have a pesky resort fee (about $20) that includes the usual "perks" as well as a Mai Tai reception, but only on certain days of the week. Sadly, not the day I was there. Valet was a Platinum perk, which was nice.
The resort fee is a cash grab. I don't see any value from it. At any rate it is the way they do it! I'm looking forward to the upcoming stay. 1st week is at a condo which is new to me and then 2nd week is back to luxury.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2MM SPG Plat
Location, Beach and Weather - Best choice

I have stayed at the Sheraton Kauai three times in the past year and many more times, the past decade at both the Sheraton and the Princeville Resort. The reviews I see in this thread are generally negative which I must take great exception to.
1> The Beach is great, clean and the bar/food service easy to summon with the orange flag that comes with the rented cabana chairs.
2> Stay in the Ocean Wing and sleep close to the waves and read from your lanai. If not a PLAT and staying on points <I am back to gold>, ask local reservations about an upgrade for a fee.
3> While the food is hotel food, there are lots of good places to eat in the neighborhood. Beach house, Kalaheo Coffee, Red Salt, the Hyatt breakfast buffet, Pomodoro for great Italian, to name just a few that me and Mrs. enjoy. Get the Ultimate Kauai Guide by Wizard Publishing for lots of great things to eat and do.
4> Waimea Canyon is relatively close and we spend a good chunk of our Kauai trips hiking up there. Again, the Sheraton is the best location.
5> Looking at a 10 day trip in November, the use of points and a bit of cash means saving big $$ versus cash at the Hyatt.
In summary, the glass is more than half full at the Sheraton Kauai.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 8:24 pm

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Low Voltage Flyer
I have stayed at the Sheraton Kauai three times in the past year and many more times, the past decade at both the Sheraton and the Princeville Resort. The reviews I see in this thread are generally negative which I must take great exception to.
1> The Beach is great, clean and the bar/food service easy to summon with the orange flag that comes with the rented cabana chairs.
2> Stay in the Ocean Wing and sleep close to the waves and read from your lanai. If not a PLAT and staying on points <I am back to gold>, ask local reservations about an upgrade for a fee.
3> While the food is hotel food, there are lots of good places to eat in the neighborhood. Beach house, Kalaheo Coffee, Red Salt, the Hyatt breakfast buffet, Pomodoro for great Italian, to name just a few that me and Mrs. enjoy. Get the Ultimate Kauai Guide by Wizard Publishing for lots of great things to eat and do.
4> Waimea Canyon is relatively close and we spend a good chunk of our Kauai trips hiking up there. Again, the Sheraton is the best location.
5> Looking at a 10 day trip in November, the use of points and a bit of cash means saving big $$ versus cash at the Hyatt.
In summary, the glass is more than half full at the Sheraton Kauai.
I have to agree that all the items listed are true but after just finishing a 7 day stay at the resort I would like to highlight that the service was not up to par when compared to other resorts.

Below is my summary:
- Upgraded to a very tired ocean wing room on the ground floor, located across from the "Keiki club" and close to the "Point Lounge"

- Management has decided to try and turn the "Point Lounge" in to a night club 3 nights a week (stayed previously at this resort in 2007, 2008 and now 2010). Ocean wing rooms nearby hear thumping bass from 10pm - 2am. Once I was bothered on my first evening we requested to switch. I spoke with the manager and he flat out said I was staying on points and this was a room allocated for point redemptions. I was shocked that they reserved tired looking rooms on the Ocean wing and sold them as an upgrade. The manager didn't seem to care about the loud bass from the lounge as he said they were experimenting with drumming up business at night. (FYI - no one goes to Kauai for a night club and the club was nearly empty on a saturday night).

- The Mai Tai reception is now approx 4 times a week which is great but the staff are very tight with enforcing a 1 drink rule which is ok but they challenge everyone who comes for a free drink, it makes one feel unwelcome.

- The nachos from The Point Lounge are MICROWAVED!! I noticed this after ordering the nachos and seeing many come out from behind the outdoor kitchen that customers have a view in to. Once I saw this I had to cancel my order since no one spends $16 for a microwaved nacho.

Ovearll all the important aspects are there. Great beach, fabulous views from the rooms and perfect location but it appears the hotel has lost that touch by going the extra mile like it had done in the past.

FYI - restaurant recommendation that one must certainly try is - Casablanca. Located next to the Poipu shopping village. Look it up for your best meal on Kauai.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Some photos from a stay back in May that saw us upgraded to a Deluxe Oceanfront room:

Bedroom

Vanity

Tub/Shower Combo

View from Patio

Overall, I found the room to be quite nice. The decor was nice and new, and it was hard to beat opening up the patio doors to find the ocean just a few steps away. I would definitely stay at this property again.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
I stayed at this hotel back in February while visiting family.

Apparently, the alarms don't work in the ocean wing. My first notification of the "tsunami" was a text from my sister on the mainland over night and a call at about 7:30am from my auntie, making sure I knew where I was going.

After contacting the front desk for the evacuation plan (which didn't really exist), they ended up sending out security door-to-door to warn people. By the time that they got around to my room, a lot of folks had left for the day, probably unaware of the potential disaster coming.

Except for the above and a concierge who was a little eager, the stay was great.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:58 pm

Programs: *wood LifePLT, UsAir CHAIR
Just stayed at the Westin Kauai and must say it was wonderful. The beach is great, the surfing outside the hotel was pretty good(100yards out). The bar drinks were made well/strong(MaiTai reception drinks were not so good) and I found most of the staff to be just wonderful.
Was upgraded to a "nice" room ocean front on the 4th floor. Could not have been happier upon our arrival and seeing the room. The sound of waves crashing outside our window for 5 days was awesome. No lei service for guests initial arrival which was kinda dissapoining.
Overall, I would go back. No Doubt
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by FernO
Just stayed at the Westin Kauai and must say it was wonderful. The beach is great, the surfing outside the hotel was pretty good(100yards out). The bar drinks were made well/strong(MaiTai reception drinks were not so good) and I found most of the staff to be just wonderful.
Was upgraded to a "nice" room ocean front on the 4th floor. Could not have been happier upon our arrival and seeing the room. The sound of waves crashing outside our window for 5 days was awesome. No lei service for guests initial arrival which was kinda dissapoining.
Overall, I would go back. No Doubt (bolding in quote by controller1)
Did you perhaps just finish one of those strong drinks when you wrote this review? You post about a Westin Kauai in a Sheraton Kauai thread. Since the Westin property in Kauai is actually the Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas and it tops out at three floors vs. the "4th floor" you were on, I'll assume you were indeed at the Sheraton Kauai and simply typed the wrong property in your first sentence.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:02 pm

Thanks for the great pics ALCO!

Debating between this property and the Westin using C&P
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: *wood LifePLT, UsAir CHAIR
Yes, guilty as charged.

Sheraton kauai. 4th floor. Room 2425 to be exact. :-)

Next time it will be a double espresso..... vs a triple mai tai.

:-)

Originally Posted by controller1
Did you perhaps just finish one of those strong drinks when you wrote this review? You post about a Westin Kauai in a Sheraton Kauai thread. Since the Westin property in Kauai is actually the Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas and it tops out at three floors vs. the "4th floor" you were on, I'll assume you were indeed at the Sheraton Kauai and simply typed the wrong property in your first sentence.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Since this thread goes back a few years, will someone please summarize current platinum benefits at this property? Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:26 pm

A couple of questions for SPG Guru's...

I am a SPG Gold, staying at Sheraton Kauai right now. I booked 5 nights for Cash-and-Points a while ago for a family vacation. At check-in they gave us a Garden View room on the second floor of the Ocean wing, which was very dark and musty-smelling. I asked if we could get an Ocean View room, and was told it would be a $75 extra/night - they had a couple of rooms available in the Ocean and Beach wing. I said - fine, because we were in Kauai for the first time and wanted to have a good experience. We took a room on a third floor of the Beach wing, right above the pool, with a great view of the ocean - 100x times better than the original room they gave us. I paid with points for the upgrade, instead of $75/night at 75 points per dollar (>28,000 points total for five nights !). The question I have is - as a Gold member, am I not entitled to an automatic upgrade (since the upgraded rooms were available) ? And, if not, isn't the upgrade supposed to be offered at 1000-2750 points per night, depending on category ?

Last edited by genesmasher; Nov 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Originally Posted by genesmasher
I am a SPG Gold, staying at Sheraton Kauai right now. I booked 5 nights for Cash-and-Points a while ago for a family vacation. At check-in they gave us a Garden View room on the second floor of the Ocean wing, which was very dark and musty-smelling. I asked if we could get an Ocean View room, and was told it would be a $75 extra/night - they had a couple of rooms available in the Ocean and Beach wing. I said - fine, because we were in Kauai for the first time and wanted to have a good experience. We took a room on a third floor of the Beach wing, right above the pool, with a great view of the ocean - 100x times better than the original room they gave us. I paid with points for the upgrade, instead of $75/night at 75 points per dollar (>28,000 points total for five nights !). The question I have is - as a Gold member, am I not entitled to an automatic upgrade (since the upgraded rooms were available) ? And, if not, isn't the upgrade supposed to be offered at 1000-2750 points per night, depending on category ?
My experience as a gold in hawaii is that the "upgrade" is essentially imaginary--that is the gold upgrade is from one garden view room to some other supposedly better but indistinguishable garden view room. And "available" for gold upgrade is totally different than "available" for cash..... there can plenty of the later whilst the former are nonexistant.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
My experience as a gold in hawaii is that the "upgrade" is essentially imaginary--that is the gold upgrade is from one garden view room to some other supposedly better but indistinguishable garden view room. And "available" for gold upgrade is totally different than "available" for cash..... there can plenty of the later whilst the former are nonexistant.
Thanks, that's what I thought. What about the "upgrade with points" option (at <2750 points/night) ? Also a mystical option ? I don't have a lot of experience with this, and just cant help but think that I am being ripped off here (28K points to upgrade 5 nights in a category 4 hotel ?..)
Old Dec 12, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Originally Posted by genesmasher
Thanks, that's what I thought. What about the "upgrade with points" option (at <2750 points/night) ? Also a mystical option ? I don't have a lot of experience with this, and just cant help but think that I am being ripped off here (28K points to upgrade 5 nights in a category 4 hotel ?..)
I haven't upgraded for points at that property, but I have at other properties. It can be a good deal-- You need to call and find out exactly what room catagory is being offerred as an upgrade for how many points. Many times, two upgrade choices are possible, one at 1500 points and one at 2750.
Oh, and not evey property offers the spg point upgrade options-- we have never been able to get them at Moana Surfrider on Oahu (although we used to be able to upgrade to the really fab one bedroom oceanfront tower suites for 6000 points per night-- this wasn't available the last time we were there).
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:50 pm

Renovation during spring.
http://www.sheraton-kauai.com/roomsa...evitalization/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.