Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cmatthews11
Hotel email address: [email protected]

As of October 2021, daily resort charge is $30.00 plus tax, per room, per day. Infusions are subject to change:
  • Daily water sports demonstration/instruction (in Resort Pool): Snorkel and surf
  • Daily fitness classes: Yoga & water aerobics
  • Daily cultural activities: Hula, Ukelele, Lei making, Pond fishing
  • Welcome Macadamia Nut Gift (1 time only on the hotel side)
  • Wi-Fi access
Confirmed for Platinum Elite+ members, breakfast at Lava's includes 2 entrees from the menu + 2 drinks (coffee/juice). Additional items may cost additional, depending on waiter/waitress. Guests can choose a one-time deposit of 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast.

There are reclining beach chairs poolside that ate complimentary (no view of the beach for the most part), all other seating there is a charge, such as:
  • Beach chairs: $10 per day, per chair (8AM-5PM)
  • Beach umbrella: $18
  • Green cabanas (Beach side, seats 2): $75 per day
  • Red cabanas (Pool side, seats 4-6): $150
Self-parking is free and valet is not currently being offered. Proof of vaccination was required by security at check-in, unclear if negative covid test will suffice.

Besides breakfast, no clear additional benefits for loyalty members aside from the chance of an upgrade and/or late checkout.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:54 am
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
I am going to the Sheraton Kauai at the end of March '08 on the SVO offer (5 days, car, $100 hotel credit), and added 2 days using points. I remember reading a thread some time ago that mentioned the SVO offers will always get a garden room. Or maybe it was that using points will always get a garden room. Many people have said to avoid the garden rooms at all costs, but are they still that bad? And how bad is the garden rooms being "across the street" -- are these rooms far from the ocean, and is the street very busy? I will have a 4yr old and a 2yr old in tow. Unfortunately I've lost all status w/ Starwood after the birth of my 1st child. I have the Starwood AMEX so I'm a "Preferred Plus" member, whatever that provides. I got a letter from Sheraton offering upgrades for $500 or $750 more for the 5 night period for Deluxe Garden View or deluxe ocean front (ocean wing). I wasn't going to do it because I was questioning how worthwhile it would be, and I was thinking my 2 extra nights on points wouldn't be upgradeable (and I wouldn't want to be switching rooms mid-stay). However, as the trip nears, I am getting a bit more apprehensive about the garden rooms, and kiddie pool not being nice, also. Can someone comment on the current state of the garden rooms, and give some advice? Thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:27 am

I stayed at the Sheraton Kauai last year, in an ocean front room. I was using points for two rooms and got upgraded due to my plat status.

I went to the garden wing to hear a little about their timeshares. The room they were using there were significantly smaller than the one I had. The rooms were not that far away from the lobby and from the ocean since the hotel is not that big. The street you have to cross is not busy.

The ocean front rooms are definitely better. As to whether they are worth $750 for your stay, only you can decide that. I'd venture that they might not make you move and you could stay there all 7 days, but that is not a guarantee. Perhaps you could call the front desk and talk to a manager there. I would give it serious consideration, but even in the garden wing, you'll still be in Kauai and in paradise!
Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Just back from a 3 night stay at the Sheraton Kauai.

We had booked using SPG points into a garden view room. We were upgraded to a "partial ocean view" and I negotiated a room in the ocean wing (larger) but no view. Didn't matter to us as we weren't planning to spend much time in the room.

As a Gold, I got complimentary valet parking (yawn), a late checkout (useful), and the larger room but thats about it. Resort fee was about $17/day.

That said, I found the hotel to be perfectly acceptable for our needs. The cocktails at sunset were good, the beach was quite nice for swimming, the staff was plesant, and walking distance to decent restaurants (Roys and Plantation Gardens).

I had expected horror stories after reading this thread but really we had no issues whatsoever.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
The Green payoff

Hotel will give you a cert for 1 free buffet if you agree not to have housekeeping clean your room.
I'm considering it.

5 free computers in the lobby area. How else do you expect me to post at 6:00am Hawaiian time. Darn jetlag.

Got a partial oceanview room in the garden wing <no status>.
Room is nicely decorated and normal size.
The bathroom??? Think 1985.

Aloha.

Edit to say the view isn't as partial as I thought. Daylight can change your opinion.

Last edited by dhammer53; Nov 6, 2008 at 9:46 pm Reason: edit, not really a partial view, closer to full view.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Hotel will give you a cert for 1 free buffet if you agree not to have housekeeping clean your room.
I'm considering it.

Aloha.
Is that 1 free buffet per day or per stay?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
I hope you're enjoying your stay dhammer53 ^

aside from the lobby computers, iirc, they start the timeshare schpiels pretty early.

I did one to pass the time during a brief rainstorm and scored 7,500 points and a SPG50 for my efforts

I really like this property (waaaay more than the Marriott in LIH where I also spent some nights during that stay), the staff was pleasant and I like the relaxed vibe and the proximity to the beach.

fwiw, I'm a lowly Corp Preferred and booked the same ocean view king at the same rate for both stays.

Upon checkin for my 1st stay there was a mix up and their system showed me asking for 2 queens. They had no Kings that night and the desk clerk's apology actually seemed sincere.

The room was in the Beach Wing on the 2nd Floor and was fine..

The next week when I checked in for my 2nd stay, I actually had the same desk clerk.

She remembered me and gave me an upgrade to a very nice corner room (Deluxe maybe??) also in the Beach Wing.

That room was great. I especially liked the wraparound balcony (from where I watched the Luau on the beach. I also appreciated the ceiling fan which allowed me to shut of the ac and enjoy the sounds of the ocean

I would definitely consider staying at the SK again
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Is that 1 free buffet per day or per stay?
Per day, and it's nothing fancy. And to add insult to injury, the cost is $19.99.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Originally Posted by noah
Just back from a 3 night stay at the Sheraton Kauai.

We had booked using SPG points into a garden view room. We were upgraded to a "partial ocean view" and I negotiated a room in the ocean wing (larger) but no view. Didn't matter to us as we weren't planning to spend much time in the room.

As a Gold, I got complimentary valet parking (yawn), a late checkout (useful), and the larger room but thats about it. Resort fee was about $17/day.

That said, I found the hotel to be perfectly acceptable for our needs. The cocktails at sunset were good, the beach was quite nice for swimming, the staff was plesant, and walking distance to decent restaurants (Roys and Plantation Gardens).

I had expected horror stories after reading this thread but really we had no issues whatsoever.
Any recent stays here? Also, as referenced above, is valet parking still complimentary for plats?
Old Jun 4, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
We will be at the property shortly. I will post a report. The pre-arrival has been very good. The Hotel is responsive and last week I got a letter from the Concierge directly asking if we needed anything. We "moved" here after the St. Regis went on its' delay. Everyone had purchased airline tickets and were upgraded. We plan to golf for at least three times one of which will be at the Prince course. Our office in Lihue will arrange the other tee times. Looking forward to it.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 8:46 am

I will also post a review. I'm staying there Monday June 8th, until Thursday June 11th. I got upgraded to a Luxury Ocean View. I've also sent an email to the hotel concierge asking for a few suggestions on restaurants, etc., no response yet.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:10 am

There's a Hawaii thread in Flyertalk where you can get a speedy response to your questions about dining from Flyertalkers who either live on Kauai or are there frequently.

StarAlliance, I hope you get tee times at Poipu Bay and Kauai Lagoons. The Prince is my favorite but those two were nice.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Report. 5/2009

Preface: A number of us had booked rooms at the St. Regis but with their delay changed from the Westin Villas to here.

Rate: Cash and points. Bargain.

Transportation: We rented a car at LIH. You need a car on this Island. Your resort fee and there is one of like $18 per room per night includes self parking. As a P valet parking is waived.

Parking: I overheard the valet telling a guest that they may park on the street if self parking. Not sure if self parking guests can use the "lots" near the garden wing.

Check-in: I had contacted the Resort via e-mail so I already knew what we would get. All of our rooms are rooms noted as luxury view oceanfront. The check-in process was very mechanical. That is the best word I can use. There was no personality in the process which was a shock to me given the usual Hawaiian hospitality. Took the points as an amenity. In this process the Resort seemed to be total Sheraton.

Perks: As noted above. A card given to us noted P services at the Resort such as- upgrade, late check-out, turndown service which includes pool wristbands delivered the following day (no logic there), comp. WSJ delivered, 15% off Luau and upgrade seating and comp valet parking. The use of points is also interesting. That is another form.

Lounge: No here but it would be nice.

Room: You enter onto carpet. A long wall takes you to a flat panel tv set-up which has a couple draws for clothes and a frig.. The frig. is empty so you can fill. The are coffee packets. We then have a round table with two seats. Not chairs with backs. The we have a slider door with an excellent exceptional view. Coming around the other wall you have two huge comfy chairs with a small wicker table between. Would be nice to have a ottoman. Then our king poster bed. The mattress is not comfortable. The ac is a problem in the room. It has been running the whole time we have been here. Will have maintenance look at it while we are gone. There is also very very very limited storage space for clothes. We are room for another dresser which they should have put furniture in for.

Bathroom: The bathroom is on tile/stone. We have a double basin sink with lots of space below. A closet is in this area. Another room contains the toilet and tub/shower. There is no ventilation in this area and I have noted small ants. We asked for extra luggage racks and always keep everything off the floors in Hawaii. Standard Sheraton amenities.

Internet: This is included in your room rate. Wireless only from the room. There are public terminals but this has always been crowded. Cell coverage in our rooms is very very limited. I have been walking to the lobby for reception and people have missed eachothers calls.

Gym: You can easliy see the gym upon arrival. Looks like a nice size.

Spa: not been

Eating venues: We may try the restaurant. We will be out and about many times for meals so I will list here.

Friday (dinner)
Sushi Katsu at Tip Top Hotel in Lihue. Exceptional. Not always open so call. Maybe only evenings. A pick of our office here. My wife is from Japan. She thought the sashimi was excellent. The meals were great. Seven adults and 1 child less than $200 all in. You must BYOB- bring your own liquor. No license for that. You may be limited to beer and wine. ? on hard stuff. But they can not sell you any liquor. We are thinking about going back.

Saturday
Kountry Kitchen in Kapaa. Just as you are leaving Kapaa towards Princeville on left. The food was not bad. Not the best I have had in the Islands but a local favorite. I had loco moco and my wife had the coconut french toast. Fresh coconut atop. Our friend had a denver omelet. Without a doubt a full meal.

Clubhouse at Princeville. We only had drinks after a round of golf. Nice views and pricey. After our round of golf we received a comp. bag tag which the golf store engraved. We had a great time on the course. Today my wife will play Puakea with our friend.

Keoki's in Poipu. We had a large group. That means we might have had some issues. When the food did arrive everyone was very pleased. A solid choice. Supposed to be a sister restaurant of Duke's at the Marriott. Close to Resort.

Sunday
Grand Hyatt Kauai breakfast buffet. My wife and I went over this morning. A nice spread. Nothing special but a nice standard spread. They did have white rice, miso soup and tofu. The one thing we both noticed was the attitude. The employees were happy and seemed genuine. The property is set back from the beach a little more than the Sheraton which makes the later a better choice for location. The Hyatt is elegent. Our friends will have a suite room move later today so we will see how the views are.

Puakea Golf Club. Pass. The only thing interesting was the furakaki (spealling ?) popcorn with arare.

Terrace at Grand Hyatt. We went here for "dinner" which consisted of drinks and appetizers. Expensive drinks, decent food and exceptional views. Around $400 all in for 8 people. Our friends got their suite room move. Amazing views from rooms.

Monday

Grand Hyatt Kauai breakfast buffet. Ditto.

Hamura Saimin in Lihue. This place is supposed to be famous. Full of locals and very reasonable. Japanese noodles served only hot. If you want something fast that is not bad this is it.

Foodland in Kapaa. Well I was not going to mention this but since we went back twice it must have been good. We had Saimin around 4 PM so knew we would need something later. That brought us back to Foodland for the chicken karaage musabi. Wow this stuff is pretty good. Available in the hot foods section of the deli. Yum. That says it all.

Tuesday
Grand Hyatt Kauai breakfast buffet. Ditto.

Puka Dog at Coconut shopping center Poipu. Yum. Says it all. They also have a location in HNL and will open another location. The gelato next door was good.

Hanamaulu Cafe in Hanamaulu. We had our last dinner at the sushi bar. The chef is from Japan. Not bad but we enjoyed Sushi Katsu more.

Wednesday
Picked up pastry at Lapperts in Koloa town. As you are coming into town from Lihue it will be to your left.

Our favorites on this trip were Sushi Katsu, Grand Hyatt breakfast buffet, sunset drinks and pupus at the Hyatt and Puka Dog. Oh. And Foodland chicken karaage musabi.

Local markets: We were in Lihue for dinner and stopped by the Costco for water. Huge place. There is also a Home Depot if someone wants to build a dresser for their room.

Local area: Not bad. Stores but have no idea on pricing.

Negatives: We all consider the Hotel a great price and everyone is happy with their rooms. We have a couple at the Hyatt in a Regency Club suite. It is nice to have a Lounge and the style / feeling over at the Hyatt is much different. The Sheraton is mechanical and business. The Hyatt feels more like home with style. It has crossed my mind.

Closing: As noted above. Would stay again based upon value. Regards from Kauai.

Last edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE; Jun 10, 2009 at 11:09 am
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:32 am

Thank you. We have four full days and my wife is determined to play all four. Thank you also for the FT note.

My wife Puakea. We played Prince and Kauai Lagoons.

Last edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE; Jun 10, 2009 at 11:10 am
Old Jun 11, 2009, 1:11 am

My third night at the Sheraton Kauai

I'm at my third night here at the Sheraton Kauai before I move to the Hyatt tomorrow. I see a lot of similarities in the room that the above poster does as well.

One of the main differences I noticed was my interaction with the front desk when myself and my fiance got in pretty late (around 10ish). The agent was warm and hospitable and quick to present me with my plat amenity card and all the info that I could possibly need. Then the kicker came..we were originally upgraded to a Deluxe Ocean Front room, but because it happened to be a special surprise trip for my fiance, we were upgraded to an oceanfront suite w/ two lanais and all.

The staff have treated us well and know us both by name. We've found actually the agents at the front desk to be very valuable for information about local spots to go.

One downside I've noticed so far is the lack of knowledge from the concierges. It doesn't seem any of them were able to answer simple questions that we had, including basic info about some more secluded beaches, local non-touristy restaurants, etc. Both times when we approached the desk (two different concierges), they seemed more concerned about selling us on the Westin Villas timeshare presentation. Big dissapointment.

Overall a great stay for us--and cheap, we booked it at $159/night. I'm definitely looking forward to our stay at the Hyatt, where I've used a confirmed suite eupgrade coupon. It'll be a different pace and should be fun. The staff here at the Sheraton were great.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by glenny84
Both times when we approached the desk (two different concierges), they seemed more concerned about selling us on the Westin Villas timeshare presentation. Big dissapointment.
welcome to Starwood in Hawaii. This is typical I am afraid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.