Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cmatthews11
Hotel email address: [email protected]

As of October 2021, daily resort charge is $30.00 plus tax, per room, per day. Infusions are subject to change:
  • Daily water sports demonstration/instruction (in Resort Pool): Snorkel and surf
  • Daily fitness classes: Yoga & water aerobics
  • Daily cultural activities: Hula, Ukelele, Lei making, Pond fishing
  • Welcome Macadamia Nut Gift (1 time only on the hotel side)
  • Wi-Fi access
Confirmed for Platinum Elite+ members, breakfast at Lava's includes 2 entrees from the menu + 2 drinks (coffee/juice). Additional items may cost additional, depending on waiter/waitress. Guests can choose a one-time deposit of 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast.

There are reclining beach chairs poolside that ate complimentary (no view of the beach for the most part), all other seating there is a charge, such as:
  • Beach chairs: $10 per day, per chair (8AM-5PM)
  • Beach umbrella: $18
  • Green cabanas (Beach side, seats 2): $75 per day
  • Red cabanas (Pool side, seats 4-6): $150
Self-parking is free and valet is not currently being offered. Proof of vaccination was required by security at check-in, unclear if negative covid test will suffice.

Besides breakfast, no clear additional benefits for loyalty members aside from the chance of an upgrade and/or late checkout.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite; SPG Platinum
Any comments on the quality of the fitness center at this hotel? I am particularly interested in comparisons to the St. Regis Princeville. Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:10 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
I assume you are gold not platinum. In this case, you really can't complain about the upgrade.

Originally Posted by HoosFlying
we left st. regis after 2 wonderful nights to see the south part of the island and chose to stay at the sheraton in poipu.
it seems like everyone else got upgraded to oceanview. i was booked on C&P and was offered a "free" upgrade from mountain to garden. i asked about ocean and she said it would be an add'l $80/night. really?! i declined. our room wasn't ready so we killed time at the pool/beach and went to our room after that. once we got there i was really disappointed. the room seemed outdated and run down. we had a view of the garden pool (aka dirty mildewed looking pool). i now wish i had pics to share. i quickly got on the phone with spg and asked about canceling my room and what options were available to book at the st. regis. luckily i had enough points to switch and get C&P at the st. regis for the final 2 nights (where they also upgraded us for free to an oceanview room). i would consider the sheraton in poipu a 3 star property at best. we stayed at the lax sheraton which hands down was a better property than this "resort". if you are looking for service and quality...avoid sheraton poipu and book the st. regis.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:11 pm

We stayed at the Sheraton Kauai in approximately 2005 for one week. I posted a review on TripAdvisor (the only negative review I have ever posted about a hotel) and the review got pulled sometime in the past year, apparently if someone doesn't like a review they can make it disappear. Accordingly I am posting here about my stay.

We had a one bedroom oceanfront room. Oceanfront really means oceanfront ie. we were maybe 10 feet from the beach and 20 feet from the water. The room and the view were the best parts of our stay.

The pool area was disappointing as the pool (right outside our room) was tiny, more like the size of someone's home pool rather than a resort pool. Tiny as in it was crowded with a half dozen people in it, and you could swim from one end to the other in a few strokes.

The real downside to this place was the lack of service at the bar/lounge. There was an outdoor bar/lounge area where you could sit at tables, get drinks or a light snack etc. My wife and I would show up in the evening wanting a drink, and wait and wait to get served. We were generally ignored in our quest for service. It got so bad that I would go inside and find a server and ask him to attend to us, then he/she would admonish me saying I didn't need to come inside for help and we should wait outside to be served. We would wait 30 to 45 minutes before anyone took our drinks order. This was most bizarre and we had never experienced this sort of thing before, we couldn't figure it out as we were quiet and polite, reasonable dressed, and tipped well everywhere on the property. We were well behaved, I like to have one alcoholic beverage in the evening and my wife doesn't drink alcohol so it was not a question of us being loud or rude drunks. After three nights of this I e-mailed the manager complaining about the situation. The manager sent us a fruit plate however the next evening we show up wanting an evening drink and get the cold shoulder again.

We could only speculate that the deliberate refusal to provide service was based on race (one of us is non-white although we are both western raised and educated). I may have been wrong but there was no other reason I could imagine that we were singled out to not be served. I did notice that the clientele at this resort were very white, I am used to a multicultural milieu and it is odd to be surrounded by only white faces, maybe the servers didn't know what to make of a mixed race couple.

If the pool is not important to you, and if the service has improved in the past few years, then this place might be worth going to. We will not be back.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
We stayed at the Sheraton Kauai in approximately 2005 for one week.
Thank you for your post from over FOUR years ago

We could only speculate that the deliberate refusal to provide service was based on race (one of us is non-white although we are both western raised and educated). I may have been wrong but there was no other reason I could imagine that we were singled out to not be served.
Ah, yes, that must be it... Did you happen to notice at all that native Hawaiians are "non-white"???

I did notice that the clientele at this resort were very white
Very white? So you mean like ivory white versus just pearl white or eggshell white...

I spent a week at the Sheraton Kauai earlier this month and not only did we get upgraded to an beautiful oceanfront room, but we had excellent service as well (except from the concierge desk as they were just clueless). Also, the pool next to the Ocean wing was starting renovations the week of the 13th, so those are probably done by now.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by scotty00
Thank you for your post from over FOUR years ago
As I pointed out, I posted about a stay several years ago because my review on TripAdvisor was removed. As this was the worst stay I have ever had at any resort, I thought I should post it here. If any of my other reviews on TripAdvisor are removed I will post them on other web forums as well.

, yes, that must be it... Did you happen to notice at all that native Hawaiians are "non-white"???
Not sure if you are trying to be funny or just slow. Yes, we noticed that many of the room attendants, kitchen staff, and other menial workers at the resort were non white. The guests were all white. And our "non-whiteness" was the only factor I could find to explain the persistent refusal to serve us, despite a direct complaint to the manager.

I]Very[/I] white? So you mean like ivory white versus just pearl white or eggshell white...
No I mean typical middle America white with no concept that other races and cultures are of any importance and a myopic view of history, current affairs and society in general. Were you there by any chance?

Glad to hear that things have improved there. I suppose each person his own idea of what an acceptable level of service is, depending on the sort of place he is used to staying at. I will leave this place for the enjoyment of people like you who are content with this sort of resort.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I got the impression from reading a previous post that the coupon exchange for no housekeeping was limited to once per stay, but you may get it every day except for checkout day. However, you cannot get more towels if you select this option. For a four-night stay by myself, I got the free breakfast 3x, which was a good deal for me.

Newspapers--Kauai, Honolulu, and Wall Street Journal--are available free in the lobby, including Sunday papers, instead of being delivered to the room doors.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
You can get more towels...you just have to go find one of the maid carts and ask for more.

Also, if you're SPG gold or plat the newspapers are delivered to your door (or at least they were for us).
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Stayed there for 5 nights last week, all on points. Upgraded to Garden Suite, literally the most upper right corner room if you look at the map. The room is big, but really tired. The entire Garden section is just sad. Not staffed, practically ghost town (didn't feel very safe walking back at night alone). That pool has no towel desk. Only see cleaning staff in this section in the morning.

After 2 nights, I asked to be moved back to Ocean wing. Was given Ocean front room, which is awesome! Sunset from lanai is just perfect. The main pool is smallish. I agree that you should avoid garden wing as much as possible.

Wasn't offered coupon for no housekeeping. Free internet helps. Laundry machine is available (and useful). Front desk is friendly and tried hard. Concierge is not bad, sometimes with long wait. I don't think they should be chit chatting with other guests when there couple of us waiting for service. Oh, and they don't give very good driving directions.

This hotel has potential, but feels outdated. Looks like management is just skimping on $$$. The Mai Tai bar looks like college cafeteria. Spa is a joke (not even a spa, just rooms), I ended up not going. With all that space in the garden section, why not move the spa there? Or a bar, to make some revenue? Restaurant closed at 9pm, over priced as usual, and totally understaffed.

I wouldn't pay for rooms here. I would just use points. Good location, but definitely not a cat 4 hotel.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
yuch...

Stayed at the Hyatt two weeks ago but checked the Sheraton out as a possible future stop. Was completely underwhelmed, property looked very tired and worn, pool looked like it belonged at a Motel 6, and told at front desk that only garden suites were available to plat's.

Was staying in a 1250 sq. ft. ocean suite at the Hyatt down the road. Needless to say the Hagen Daz bar that I bought for my daughter is the only $$$ this place will get from me.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:14 am

Sheraton Kauai

We have two oceanview rooms booked for a five night stay next months. Any tips on where I should request they be? We are traveling with 3 kids. Any other tips on the resort? It's our first time. Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Abrown
We have two oceanview rooms booked for a five night stay next months. Any tips on where I should request they be? We are traveling with 3 kids. Any other tips on the resort? It's our first time. Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Abrown!

The last few pages of this thread should have fairly updated information on the resort.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

For future reference, the FAQ and Master thread (stickied on the first page) contains review threads on most SPG properties and is a very handy resource.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:04 am
Community Director Emerita

Abrown, let me add my welcome to that given by kingsubbu. I've used the link he provided to merge your query into the master thread on this property. Are you booking 2 rooms, or have you been able to book all five of you into one room?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:22 pm

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
I'm heading to this property for the 3rd time but wasn't able to make it last year. Does anyone have any recent reports? I'm platinum and looking forward once again. Hopefully they are not very busy and provide a nice upgrade if possible.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:31 pm

Was there a few weeks ago with 2 rooms on an award stay in a Deluxe Garden room. Upgraded to an oceanfront room in the Ocean Wing automatically! Great to fall asleep to the waves each night.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I was there a week and a half ago for a one night stay before moving up north to the Westin Villas. I was on C&P and got upgraded to an ocean front room a couple of days in advance. The room wasn't anything too special, but nice enough and a nice view of the pool area and the sea beyond. A million times better than the Garden Wing room we spent a couple nights in a few years ago.

They do have a pesky resort fee (about $20) that includes the usual "perks" as well as a Mai Tai reception, but only on certain days of the week. Sadly, not the day I was there. Valet was a Platinum perk, which was nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.