Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2023, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Exclamation Pics&review of a Noisy&comfy stay in the Sheraton Montreal Centre

After a fabulous stay in the Sheraton Toronto Centre I travelled with a comfy Canadian Air flight to beau Montreal. I did have mail contact with the hotel before my arrival.
The hotel recommended to take a fixed rate taxi instead of a train or airportbus.
When I checked in, my suite was not ready. I already had noticed my upgrade in my Bonvoy account.

The receptionist told me I had no Club entrance while I had reservations for this. Well, I always carry a print of my reservations and could show this to her. I asked if I could wait in the Clublounge and it was ok.

The Clublounge is located on the topfloor and offers a wonderful view of Montreal. The lounge is very spacious with many couches and tables with seats. During the day guests can take a warm or cold drink, a chocolate or fruit bar and a selection of fruits. Just as in the Sheraton Toronto you find the Starbucks here everywhere.
Instead of the china cups, many guests take the paper/plastic cups ( take away) for having their hot drink during breakfast. In the room guests also find Starbuck with the paper/plastic cups….. All the lits of the cups are also of plastic.

I do not know if the hotel is a Green hotel, but this is not a step in the right direction. I did had a talk with mrs. S., manager of the lounge, and she shared my opinion. Guest just love to take the coffee with them to their rooms too. Its also not healthy to drink from cups with plastic, with hot drinks the plastic of the cup can dissolve in the hot drink according to scientific investigations. Especially if one is re-using the cup again.

My suite was on a lower floor, one bedroom and a very, very spacious livingroom. It felt very strange to have this big space for me alone.
The bedroom offered a Sheraton Sweet Sleeper, a couch and a comfy seat, a flatsquare tv. The “livingroom” offered several large couches, a large diningtable, a bar and fridge, a large flatsquare tv and 3 – 4 AC’s.

The airconditioners were located below the windows and were turned on, they made a lot of noise. As if I was standing in a factory! Still they could not manage to cool this large area.
The view from this suite was a large parking lot behind the hotel.

I contacted the reception and they showed me other rooms, but these were much smaller.
The reception could not offer many rooms/suites, since the hotel was almost sold out.

I decided to stay in the room and turned out the AC in the large livingroom. I always try to make a Green choice in my life and it was for me so ridiculous to have 3-4 aircondioning machines blowing cold air for only for one person. Image how much energy it would take!
I did turn on the AC in my sleepingroom. The temperatures outside were just as in Toronto very high with a high humidity.

However, this AC made also a lot of noise and kept me awake during the night. It was for 20 min silent and after this it seemed I was sleeping near a noisy machine: the loud noise of the compressor!
The hotel tried to fix it the next day, and even replace it. But it seemed this type of ac, located beneath the window, is a noisy one. And, the AC was old and refurbished.
Advice was to turn it off during the night when the temperatures were not too high, and turn it on during the day. Mr F. arranged two fans for me, I could use during the night.
When it was not too hot at night, it worked out, but the temperatures were still too high to have a comfy sleep. So sometimes during the night I turned the a/c on and after a while when it became noisy I turned it off.
During the day I blocked the sun with the curtain too keep it cool.

Mr. F. even came back to ask if everything was fine and if he could help me.
I did made a complaint about this issue with the AC. Mrs. S. helped me as far as she could, and finally I could change to a room on a higher floor with a nice view and a less noisy…. AC. No suites were available.
Waiting at the reception I did notice suites were available. The receptionist told me a Bonvoy Platinum guest was before me to take it, even when I was now changing from a very large suite to another accomodation... Suites were available and even after sleepless nights I could only have a room now.

This room offered a comfy couch, the interior was the same as the last room, with bright and cozy colors.
It turned out the AC in this room was as noisy as the last one. The hotel tried to make it less noisy, to replace it and this made it even more louder. Finally I turned it off during the night.
I could not imagine why a beautiful, comfortable deluxe hotel could make a choice for this relative cheaper kind of noisy electroninc AC. It was a very negative experience.
According to a member of the reception many complains of especially business clients are being made. But until now without result.
The new renovated rooms have the same kind of noisy AC, but since they are a little hidden in a wooden box they are slightly less noisy.

The Clublounge offers at evening hours a different small but excellent buffet. Since I am vegan they served me, just as in the Sheraton Toronto, delicious and healthy salads. I liked it very much.
No complimentary alcohol is served due to Canadian law. The spacious lounge can be very crowed, especially at Fridayevening when guests arrive.
Later in the evening, after I came back from town, around 22hrs. the lounge was rather desolated. The waitress was preparing the breakfast for the next day.
I liked the relaxed ambiance and ordered a wine and some nibbles and watched tv. I noticed the winelist: Cote du Rhone – California. I told her this should be France. When she came back she told me I was right and they would change this on the winelist.
Waiters have to work very hard and until the late hours in the Clublounge.

The same situation during breakfast, only two waiters have to serve too many guests.
The result is the waiters nearly have 1 second to take notice of you and have almost no time to answer your question and no time for a small personal talk. But, hey, this is a Clublounge were a guest expects more personal service? These waiters can only rush to have the tables ready, etc.
Though they are very busy, they still try to give the service guest expect, isn’t that a great attitude? I still do not understand why the management does not take more personnel during peakhours in consideration. Its better for the waiters and for a more personal service to the guests.
Still, despite the crowded lounge, the waiters did get my soymilk for my coffee, and I am grateful they could manage the time to get it, between setting and clearing the tables, refilling the buffet, etc. etc.

The breakfastbuffet offers a small selection of hot dishes, oatmeal, fresh fruits, some cold cut meat, fresh fruits, pastries, a small selection of breads, cereals, juices, and even a pancake machine.

The hotel offers a nice indoor pool, a sauna, an adequate fitnessroom and a great terrace with lounge chairs. Every day I had a nice swim in the pool. In the evening it could be very crowded with children. No special section for children and adult as in the Sheraton Toronto.
The lifeguard was very nice and I had some talks with her. She did know a famous swimmer from my country and she appeared to have been a professional swimmer.
We also had a talk about climatechange since the weather was so hot the last couple of years.
She also made reservations for me in the restaurant. And, I was lucky enough she could refer me to a vegan restaurant.

The restaurant of the hotel was in contrast to the luxurious lounge more a bar. Many tv screens and also some books. Cozy and with a very friendly service. The menu for vegan options was very limited: 3 options, salads, pizza and vegies with squad with some rice. I made a choice for the last option together with a nice Spanish wine. Quality was high and it tasted very well.

Next evening I went to the vegan restaurant close to hotel: LOV 1232 Rue de la Montagne, Montréal, QC H3G 1Z1, Canada. The restaurant offers a terrace and was both times I visited it very crowded. Still its a pleasure to dine here and especially the cocos curry is delicious. Service is with a smile even when its busy and they try to give you the seat you prefer, if possible.

The location of the hotel is very central, you can walk to the old city and admire the Notre Dame of Montreal.
The metro is a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel. The museum of Beau Arts is also just a 10 min walk from the hotel.
And if you do not want to take a taxi, the airportbus is just some steps from the hotel.

Concierge is very helpful and friendly. They gladly show you on the map how to walk to the Old City and where the metrostations are located if you need one. I was happy with the information regarding the veganrestaurants near the hotel.

Would I return?
The location of the hotel is great, service and comfort is of a high quality and I did feel at home in general. I liked the Clublounge and the special service of my vegan salads and soya/almondmilk.

However I would not return to the hotel if they still have the noisy AC in the rooms and suites. I do like to have a good sleep.

I would not like to stay in the renovated Cubrooms and suites with the grey and brown dark interior. So I do hope the hotel will also offer rooms with bright and inviting colors, with a comfy couch, just as the classic ones do. Not everyone is a businessclient in the hotel…..

Exterior.

Suite lower floor: Bedroom.

Suite lower floor: livingroom,

Suite lower floor: livingroom. .

Suite lower floor: bar.

Suite lower floor: view.

Starbuck coffee and paper/plastic cups.

Clublounge entrance with pictures of the new refurbished Clubrooms.

Clublounge.

Snacks during the day.

Clublounge with a view.

Clublounge buffet.

Clublounge breakfast, cereals.

Clublounge buffet.

Vegan salad!

Bistro Le Boulevard

Bistro Le Boulevard

Vegan meal Bistro Le Boulevard.

Standard room high floor. ( bright and lucky its not renovated)

View from deluxe room high floor.

Comfy couch standard room. (not renovated)

The Pool.

The noisy Airconditioner of this deluxe Sheraton hotel.

A ventilator for some relief in the heat.
kalo93406 likes this.

Last edited by claes059; Oct 25, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I suggest the Delta Montréal if HVAC noise is a nuisance. They got new units last year and they are silent.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by seawolf
I suggest the Delta Montréal if HVAC noise is a nuisance. They got new units last year and they are silent.
Thanks, do they also offer a Clublounge?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:59 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by claes059
Thanks, do they also offer a Clublounge?
They have a club lounge but much smaller than the one at Sheraton. Elite breakfast is restaurant but just average in quality.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
recommend the Chateau Champlain

Originally Posted by seawolf
Whoah! There is a much better & closer alternative than the Delta Montreal. The Marriott Chateau Champlain is across the street from the Sheraton Centre and they have an Elite Concierge Lounge: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...eau-champlain/

Full disclosure, I don;t stay there but it does have a higher rating than the Sheraton Montreal! A much better alternatve to the Delta Montreal.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:43 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Whoah! There is a much better & closer alternative than the Delta Montreal. The Marriott Chateau Champlain is across the street from the Sheraton Centre and they have an Elite Concierge Lounge: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...eau-champlain/

Full disclosure, I don;t stay there but it does have a higher rating than the Sheraton Montreal! A much better alternatve to the Delta Montreal.
Take the ratings with a grain of salt because FT and trip adivsor reviews indicate they are in dire need of renovations and they are finally doing those renovations.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Antonio8069

I've stayed at the Marriott Chateau Champlain. It is one very long block from the Sheraton Centre. The Marriott is a grand old hotel built for the '67 World's Fair. And yes, it is in dire need of renovations and upgrades. Having said that, there is a charm and quaintness to it. The locals refer to it as the "cheese grater" due to its appearance. The city views are spectacular. And if you're staying in the cold weather, the Metro station is directly below the hotel. Don't have to walk very far.
I stayed there in July, and the renovations were well underway.
I've also stayed at the Sheraton Centre and the Delta. Nothing wrong with either one. As has been stated, the club lounge at the Sheraton is one of the best around. Exactly like the club lounge at the Toronto Sheraton. The Delta has the best gym of the three... by far, if that matters at all.

Newman

Last edited by Newman; Oct 26, 2019 at 7:35 pm
Old Aug 28, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
I had a nice one-night stay here recently including a suite upgrade using my SNA. The rooms have been renovated within the last couple of years so it was very comfortable and the staff was terrific.

The lounge was closed but I was given breakfast in the restaurant plus 1,000 points. This was in addition to the welcome amenity points. There were about 5 options to choose from on the Executive Breakfast menu including a breakfast sandwich, omelette, pancakes, two eggs with bacon or sausage, or a fruit/yogurt/toast choice.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 8:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Just had an extended weekend stay here Excellent check-in experience, where they were able to address the 2 separate reservation without the need for me to come back and check-out and check-in.

As a Titanium member, I was upgraded to a high floor (32) room overlooking Mont Royal. Not a suite, but the check-in clerk acknowledged that "procedures had changed" since Marriott took over. You need to elect whether you want housekeeping during checking in - you can always opt-out by placing the DND sign on your door. 2 bottles of water was provided daily with housekeeping,.

The room is newly renovated and was comfortable. The bathroom is stocked with full sized bath amenities, including a hand wash and lotion. It is a different scent than what I expected (Gilchrist & Soame Warm Wood) - my friend's wife complained that it was too masculine.

The lounge is still closed, and breakfast coupons were given. For the weekend, you can pretty much order anything off the menu. On Monday, they had the 5 item menu that yule_boy mentioned above. The bar is open later than advertised on weekends, which is appreciated.

Self parking is CA$25, which is reasonable. You don't need a ticket - the camera scans for the license plate. Which means that if you want to charge to the room, you need to inform the front desk of your license plate.

For those of you who needs a rapid COVID test to fly back to the US, RPD testing is one block away, and I received my antigen testing results in 20 minutes. https://www.rpdtesting.com/
Old Dec 12, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I have been to this hotel many times. It’s one of my favorites. While I have not been since covid, prior to that, I have gone at least 1x per year since 2002. In 20 times at the hotel, I have been upgraded to a huge suite probably 15-18 times. Are you saying that there’s no suite upgrades anymore?
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
This was my "go-to" hotel in Montreal pre-Covid. I like it very much. That said, I have had an SNA clear twice here and have yet to see the inside of a suite. Once they uncleared it at check-in due to "high occupancy" (convention I believe) and the last time said I could not combine an SNA with guaranteed late check-out, which I really needed. The lounge (when open) is one of the best in Canada.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:41 am

Is there complimentary alcohol in the club lounge or is it an honour bar?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Neither. Pay-as-you-go at the bar or waiter service (based on pre-pandemic).
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I was just there a week ago. No free alcohol in the club lounge. There never has been. They have waiter service that will serve you.

the club lounge is beautiful and the breakfast up there is one of the best club lounge experiences I’ve had in almost 1500 SPG/Marriott stays.
yyzflyer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:11 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by jb3t
I was just there a week ago. No free alcohol in the club lounge. There never has been. They have waiter service that will serve you.

the club lounge is beautiful and the breakfast up there is one of the best club lounge experiences I’ve had in almost 1500 SPG/Marriott stays.
Could you elaborate on breakfast? Asia-level best, North America-best or something along the lines of a Spring Hill/Fairfield breakfast? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.