Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Lufthansa M&M FTL, FlyingBlue, Air Berlin Top Bonus
Just to be sure:
You definitely want to stay at the Westin Cancun Resort and not the Westin Lagunamar, right? For the latter you might be able to find some 3rd party time share rental deals.
(Wouldn't give you any SPG perks though, obviously).

Otherwise check the deals as mentioned by travelswithmyself. It might be even worth a shot calling SPG to find offers which are not published online.
Old May 12, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks travelswithmyself and tillephone for your responses.

Yes, I definitely want to stay at the Westin Cancun Resort and not the Westin Lagunamar. One reason is that I want to get night credits and my Platinum perks, which I wouldn't if I rented a timeshare from a 3rd party. The second is quite frankly, price. It's just the two of us, so the Royal Beach Club rooms will serve our purpose nicely and we don't need all the space that the Lagunamar rooms offer.

I did see the Sunsational savings but my corporate rate can do better. Since I first posted this, I looked through the Promos thread and there is a 25% off 6 night stay that gives good savings ... but it is a non-cancellable rate. Given how September is still pretty far into the future, I don't dare book a non-cancellable rate ... my schedule still has a high potential for changes .

I think what I might do is book using my corporate rate and continue to check periodically as we get closer. If you have any other ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.
Old May 30, 2014, 9:00 am

Has anyone stayed here w/ kids? We've got this booked for the fall but we're debating laying on the beach vs taking the kiddos back to Disney World. It will be just after the kids' 4th birthday. Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:06 am

best price for westin resort cancun

I saw prepaid rate at $90 for September. What is the lowest historical price? Was it ever on hot escape list?

Originally Posted by tillephone
Just to be sure:
You definitely want to stay at the Westin Cancun Resort and not the Westin Lagunamar, right? For the latter you might be able to find some 3rd party time share rental deals.
(Wouldn't give you any SPG perks though, obviously).

Otherwise check the deals as mentioned by travelswithmyself. It might be even worth a shot calling SPG to find offers which are not published online.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by atl475
I saw prepaid rate at $90 for September. What is the lowest historical price? Was it ever on hot escape list?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...ncun-20-a.html
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:27 pm

Bumping this thread. As a longtime Plat who is used to the RBC lounges in Cabo, PVR, and Cancun, I'm now only Gold (how sad), and curious if anyone could chime in on the odds of getting an RBC upgrade in late October for 4 days? Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:50 pm

Good use of SNA?

Staying here the first week of January with our kids. It will be our first time at this property. As a Plat, is it worth using SNAs? We don't have any guarantee for RBC (but they still show as available to book). Would the suite be in the RBC or the other part of the hotel? If you don't get upgraded to RBC, does that mean no lounge access?

Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
If available, will the regularly UG a paid Plat guest from a standard room to a RBC suite, or just to a RBC Ocean Front room?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:37 pm

My only stay there was in mid-2014.

We had multiple rooms. They were very nice and offered upgrades for all to the RBC.

However, they made it clear that while I could get a suite upgrade, it could not be to an RBC suite.

We opted to forgo the suite upgrade and to stick together instead.

I liked the RBC location next to the beach. It has it's own small pool too. And you have the lounge on the ground floor which serves a good teatime and breakfast. But the RBC check-in counter was unmanned each time I walked past. The walk to the normal lobby is really long
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
My only stay there was in mid-2014.

We had multiple rooms. They were very nice and offered upgrades for all to the RBC.

However, they made it clear that while I could get a suite upgrade, it could not be to an RBC suite.

We opted to forgo the suite upgrade and to stick together instead.

I liked the RBC location next to the beach. It has it's own small pool too. And you have the lounge on the ground floor which serves a good teatime and breakfast. But the RBC check-in counter was unmanned each time I walked past. The walk to the normal lobby is really long
Thanks. I actually have been here for 3 nights previously and was ug'd to a major rbc suite, but that was because I brought a group of abt 10 ppl, more than plat. But also during a dead/quiet time.

I would only want to stay at the RBC...not a particularly nice hotel otherwise.

Did you go to the fish rest across the st abt 1/4 mile towards Cancun.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
Thanks. I actually have been here for 3 nights previously and was ug'd to a major rbc suite, but that was because I brought a group of abt 10 ppl, more than plat. But also during a dead/quiet time.

I would only want to stay at the RBC...not a particularly nice hotel otherwise.

Did you go to the fish rest across the st abt 1/4 mile towards Cancun.

That's great! I'd had hopes for an RBC suite but it didn't pan out. Anyway we were only there for a night. Don't remember trying that fish restaurant though...

Last edited by travelswithmyself; Nov 10, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I will be staying here for a couple of nights at the end of Feb. I've applied my SNAs but they don't say anything about Royal Beach Club. What are the odds of getting upgraded to RBC at this time of year?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:54 pm

We stayed here in October (dead season) and had SNA's on our RBC king room reservation. I emailed with reservation manager prior and she told me that SNA's would upgrade us out of RBC into a suite in regular part of hotel. Or, I could pay $65 a night to upgrade to Ambassador Suite in RBC. We chose the latter as it was a special stay. Ambassador suite was amazing and huge (pics on tripadvisor) and worthwhile for us. We really enjoyed the RBC and the quiet nature of that area of the resort as there was a corporate function at the main hotel for most of the time we were there.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thanks for the clarification. I'm currently holding 2 reservations. One for the regular building with SNA requested, and one for the RBC (at $25 premium/night).

So it sounds like I should cancel the first reservation and just keep the RBC reservation.

We are also spending 5 nights at the Lagunamar and would have stayed the extra 2 nights there except for the mandatory check out at 10 am (I am eligible for Your24), and our flight doesn't leave until 5 pm.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Recent comments on the Westin Cancun?

Has anyone been there recently? How bad are the rooms, food, beach, pool?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.