Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Confused. Just booking a typical stay with Starwood points for the middle of January and the cancellation details are saying that there will be a penalty for canceling after the middle of November. I don't think I've ever been on a points stay where the free cancellation period was more than a week or two out before the reservation. Is this uncommon? Enforced?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by steveholt
Confused. Just booking a typical stay with Starwood points for the middle of January and the cancellation details are saying that there will be a penalty for canceling after the middle of November. I don't think I've ever been on a points stay where the free cancellation period was more than a week or two out before the reservation. Is this uncommon? Enforced?
I booked an Award Stay at the Westin Cancun (Cat 3) hotel. The total points I paid was 28000 points. The stay is for July 2016. I just read the Cancellation policy and almost fell off my chair. If the stay is cancelled anytime up to 1 month in advance (i.e. anytime in June), then the cancellation fee is $2800. If the stay is cancelled up to 2 months in advance, then the cancellation fee is $1400. If stay cancelled more than 2 months in advance, then no cancellation fee. All these amounts are in USD

Is this the new normal?
In my 15 years of travelling, I have never seen any hotel chain charging such ridiculous amount of fees as cancellation. Normally its first night room rate and that too if you cancel 2 - 3 days in advance. $2800 and that too in USD to cancel a stay at a Category 3 hotel is beyond ridiculous.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-st-regis.html
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Is the temp in the rooms a problem with all rooms at this hotel? I have a hard time sleeping without A/C - I will be here at the end of December in a Royal Beach room. Is there a specific room or floor in the wing I should request if I want whatever is coolest?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by yoshapman
Is the temp in the rooms a problem with all rooms at this hotel? I have a hard time sleeping without A/C - I will be here at the end of December in a Royal Beach room. Is there a specific room or floor in the wing I should request if I want whatever is coolest?
I was there in Sept in an RBC room and had no problem with the AC.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:20 am

Any experience using the spa facilities without getting a massage? Is there a charge to use the whirlpool?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA- exp 8.2MM, SQ, DL, spg plat
You are out of luck. The A/C system is ancient and the problem is that it doesn't dehumidify the room..

i am here now - 3 rooms total - 2 in main bldg, 1 in RBC - all have issues...

Just turn it down as low as it goes and pray - on the bright side, the noise it makes helps you sleep
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
In my 15 years of travelling, I have never seen any hotel chain charging such ridiculous amount of fees as cancellation. Normally its first night room rate and that too if you cancel 2 - 3 days in advance. $2800 and that too in USD to cancel a stay at a Category 3 hotel is beyond ridiculous.
This property has an unbelievable attitude. For a totally marginal hotel, they make you feel like YOU ARE DOING THEM A FAVOR by staying there.

This is why they are a class 3 hotel

The killer is that they get paid a good rate for points rooms - all they have to do is to let the points "go away"

unbelievable....
Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:38 am

i found the problem..... there is a motion detector in the room that basically shuts down the A/C when it does not detect motion for set period of time

So.... unless you are sleep walker, you are going to have trouble with the A/C at night regardless of what you do.

They try to pass this off as an environmental thing but at the end of the day, the amount of energy consumed by blasting the fan at full speed but with no cooling has to offer the energy used by setting this properly..
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Just came back from a 5 night stay Dec 28-Jan 2. I was also here in mid-October - also for 5 nights. Both booked on points (28,000).

In October the RBC was closed for renovations. At that time, Platinums had full breakfast in the El Palmar restaurant and a happy hour with drinks from 5-7pm - also in the restaurant (in the back).

With the RBC re-opened I had expected to get RBC amenities - nope. Platinum's no longer get an upgrade into the RBC. According to the front desk - this is the new policy. There were so many Platinums at New Years that originally I didn't even get a room upgrade and was lagoon facing but Laura (front desk manager) managed to get us into a ocean front room on night #2 (still no balcony). Platinums get the same benefit as October - breakfast in the restaurant and a happy hour from 5-7 - also in the restaurant. No RBC access at all (in fact I was actually shooed off the RBC property because I didn't have an RBC bracelet on (only an SPG Platinum bracelet - which ironically is gold colored)).

Service levels are still good although I wish the "concierges" would stop hassling me for SVO tours when after 4 times at this resort they'd get it and realize that I'm not interested.

Laura at the front desk is a gem. Really cares about treatment of Platinum guests.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by wdchuck1

This is why they are a class 3 hotel
I still find it interesting that some on FT still believe the SPG Category of a property has something to do with the service/amenities level of the property.

The SPG Category is not like a AAA or Mobil 1-5 star rating.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mozzarella
Just came back from a 5 night stay Dec 28-Jan 2. I was also here in mid-October - also for 5 nights. Both booked on points (28,000).

In October the RBC was closed for renovations. At that time, Platinums had full breakfast in the El Palmar restaurant and a happy hour with drinks from 5-7pm - also in the restaurant (in the back).

With the RBC re-opened I had expected to get RBC amenities - nope. Platinum's no longer get an upgrade into the RBC. According to the front desk - this is the new policy. There were so many Platinums at New Years that originally I didn't even get a room upgrade and was lagoon facing but Laura (front desk manager) managed to get us into a ocean front room on night #2 (still no balcony). Platinums get the same benefit as October - breakfast in the restaurant and a happy hour from 5-7 - also in the restaurant. No RBC access at all (in fact I was actually shooed off the RBC property because I didn't have an RBC bracelet on (only an SPG Platinum bracelet - which ironically is gold colored)).

Service levels are still good although I wish the "concierges" would stop hassling me for SVO tours when after 4 times at this resort they'd get it and realize that I'm not interested.

Laura at the front desk is a gem. Really cares about treatment of Platinum guests.
Wow, that's a real loss. I was there for a week last summer and really enjoyed the RBC. Loved the balcony with the ocean view and the drinks by the private pool. What a shame to lose that.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Wow, that's a real loss. I was there for a week last summer and really enjoyed the RBC. Loved the balcony with the ocean view and the drinks by the private pool. What a shame to lose that.
I love that balcony, too. Can still use points for a standard room and pay for the RBC upgrade.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I have an upcoming reservation, Low Standard Rate was available (Deluxe Room), but SPG award was not for one of the nights... which are on a Deluxe Room too, so I have the option to pay 8K per night for a BC, or 8.5 per night for RBC. Keep in mind you may pay a little extra in points for a RBC, instead of paying for an upgrade.

I have a similar problem in NYC, low standard rate is available, but not for awards, and when you call SPG they tell you that if "standard room" is not available, you have to spend a little more for the next available room, but at the end, the low standard rate that is available if you want to pay, is the same room that you will get when is available for award points.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Mozzarella

With the RBC re-opened I had expected to get RBC amenities - nope. Platinum's no longer get an upgrade into the RBC. According to the front desk - this is the new policy.
Thanks for the heads up on this. I am booked for 5 nights in Feb on points (28K SPG pts). I called the Plat Concierge to find out how much to upgrade to the RBC, and it was only 6000 extra SPG pts for a total of 34K pts. Thought it was a worthwhile investment.

Also, my cancellation deadline got shortened from 2 months to one day! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.