FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:31 pm
TimesTwo

Originally Posted by Mozzarella
Just came back from a 5 night stay Dec 28-Jan 2. I was also here in mid-October - also for 5 nights. Both booked on points (28,000).

In October the RBC was closed for renovations. At that time, Platinums had full breakfast in the El Palmar restaurant and a happy hour with drinks from 5-7pm - also in the restaurant (in the back).

With the RBC re-opened I had expected to get RBC amenities - nope. Platinum's no longer get an upgrade into the RBC. According to the front desk - this is the new policy. There were so many Platinums at New Years that originally I didn't even get a room upgrade and was lagoon facing but Laura (front desk manager) managed to get us into a ocean front room on night #2 (still no balcony). Platinums get the same benefit as October - breakfast in the restaurant and a happy hour from 5-7 - also in the restaurant. No RBC access at all (in fact I was actually shooed off the RBC property because I didn't have an RBC bracelet on (only an SPG Platinum bracelet - which ironically is gold colored)).

Service levels are still good although I wish the "concierges" would stop hassling me for SVO tours when after 4 times at this resort they'd get it and realize that I'm not interested.

Laura at the front desk is a gem. Really cares about treatment of Platinum guests.
Wow, that's a real loss. I was there for a week last summer and really enjoyed the RBC. Loved the balcony with the ocean view and the drinks by the private pool. What a shame to lose that.