Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
My wife and I stayed at this hotel for three nights on points recently. It is indeed a very fine hotel in an excellent location. Staff members were very helpful in all regards, including the desk staff that got us into our room even though we arrived early when the hotel was packed for the Australian Open tennis tournament and the concierge staff that consistently provided good, consistent advice. No room upgrade due (at least partly) to the hotel being full, but as it was our room was very nice and was on the newly renovated floor (the second). We usually prefer higher floors for better views, but actually being situated across a small side street from a large church or cathedral provided some privacy and a nice view of that building and the trees lining the street. Pretty good fitness center.

Just a couple of glitches keep me from giving this hotel a top rating:

1. We were charged $110 (!!!) for a three-minute call to Geneva from the room. We asked about this at check-out and the reception staff immediately cut the charge in half. I still consider this extremely excessive, even by hotel standards, but we had a rental car pick-up waiting for us and were in a generally vacation-oriented, relaxed mode, so we didn't hassle about the matter any further.
2. For our three days there, the internet connection for one of the two computers in the business center was not working. This was not a problem for us on a leisure stay, but there were some guests there on business who were pretty frustrated--as I would be, if I were in their position.

One matter that upcoming visitors might check into is the status of renovations, since the noise could be something of a hassle. Generally, though, a great hotel--just watch your long distance calls and bring your own laptop!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: Miles&More Senator , EX-SPG Platinum now Bonvoy LTP, IC Platinum , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
We returned as well from our Australien trip some days ago. We stayed in The Westin for 2 night. As we planned to travel teh Great Ocean Route but the weather was bad I planned to stay 2 more nights - but due to the room rates and room conditions we moved.

The Hotel is very good located in the midle of the town. It's nice bulding and the entrace hall quite impressive. We checked in and as ususal if you choose the prepaid rates I always feel a little bit like "there is nothing to do we got already the money - at checkin". (Not only here but in most hotel.)

Our day rate for a standard room was 345,- AUD per night. Frankly one of the most expensive hotels in town. I expected a nice room to relax when we return from our daily trips. I'm SPG Platinum and I thougth to maybe get an room upgrade - but I never do expect a suit.

What we have received for the amount of money was really disapointing. 'Sorry to say so but also the ver friendly stuff told us we are min. 2 year late in renovation. We have received a room on the 5th floor with a "nice" view on the backyard.

The room was clean and nothing but with very old furniture and a very old TV. This is what I expect in 4 Points but not in Westin. The floor was quite dirty from I don't know - but it looks a little bit more worth on the picture than it appears in real daylight.

The breaky was excellent and one of the best we had. The chinese cook was soo funny and nice!

I did not complain about the room at the frontdesk because I was tired to become a complainer or so. But I thought I will be asked a checkout. But nothing. Neven no invoice due to prepaid. (I did not aks for a bill as well)

This was the first time that I did not sleep well in a "Heavenly Bed" in a Westin. It was so hard that you feel every spring. I first thougth it was only me but in the 2nd night my wife asked if I feel the same so I know it was not only me.

Renovation on the 3rd floor in progress.

After 7 differnt The Westin hotels in the world with 0 upgrade success I must say I'm done with it. I will continue with SPG but wthout Westin.

After the 2 nights we move to the Intercontinental for 2 nights. It was 20% cheaper and much more luxury. Really great with a wonderful bed! Receive a nice room upgrade as Platinum Ambassador.

Here some pictures from the room:

Furniture

TV

Look-out

Floor (appears darker on the picture then in real but looks really bad)

Floor different light next day

After Starwood Lurker II send me a PM and we had some conversation he send my post to the General Manager of the Hotel.
We have received a detailed E-Mail from him as well as a 10.000 goodwill Starpoints credit note on my account. I would like to
say thank you for this - not only for the points but also for the communication.

Last edited by fred8ab; Mar 15, 2010 at 12:32 am Reason: Update:15.03.10
Old Mar 6, 2010, 4:32 am

Suite upgrade using points

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of staying here towards the end of the month, and using points to upgrade to a suite. Does anyone know two which room category one is upgraded when paying the additional 10,000 points at this category four property?

Cheers,

Fraserm
Old Mar 6, 2010, 5:53 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by fred8ab
We checked in and as ususal if you choose the prepaid rates I always feel a little bit like "there is nothing to do we got already the money - at checkin". (Not only here but in most hotel.)

Our day rate for a standard room was 345,- AUD per night. Frankly one of the most expensive hotels in town. I expected a nice room to relax when we return from our daily trips. I'm SPG Platinum and I thougth to maybe get an room upgrade - but I never do expect a suit.

What we have received for the amount of money was really disapointing. 'Sorry to say so but also the ver friendly stuff told us we are min. 2 year late in renovation. We have received a room on the 5th floor with a "nice" view on the backyard.

The room was clean and nothing but with very old furniture and a very old TV. This is what I expect in 4 Points but not in Westin. The floor was quite dirty from I don't know - but it looks a little bit more worth on the picture than it appears in real daylight.

I did not complain about the room at the frontdesk because I was tired to become a complainer or so. But I thought I will be asked a checkout. But nothing. Neven no invoice due to prepaid. (I did not aks for a bill as well)

This was the first time that I did not sleep well in a "Heavenly Bed" in a Westin. It was so hard that you feel every spring. I first thougth it was only me but in the 2nd night my wife asked if I feel the same so I know it was not only me.

Renovation on the 3rd floor in progress.

After 7 differnt The Westin hotels in the world with 0 upgrade success I must say I'm done with it. I will continue with SPG but wthout Westin.

After the 2 nights we move to the Intercontinental for 2 nights. It was 20% cheaper and much more luxury. Really great with a wonderful bed! Receive a nice room upgrade as Platinum Ambassador.
You should have complained. I always got nice upgrades at this hotel and never a room which looked anything like what your pictures are showing. The floor is not acceptable and you should receive a folio even if it shows a zero balance.

Originally Posted by fraserm
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of staying here towards the end of the month, and using points to upgrade to a suite. Does anyone know two which room category one is upgraded when paying the additional 10,000 points at this category four property?

Cheers,

Fraserm
My guess is that this will be an upgrade to a Westin Studio.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:34 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Anyone have any recent reports or photos? I got a letter in the mail stating that they had refurbished for the 10 year anniversary. It would be great if they added some sofas to the room and made the Westin Studios junior suites.

I chose either of the Hyatt's in Melbourne over this property simply because all rooms other than the Regent Suites have no furniture that allows you to relax after a hard day's work, other than the bed and small armchair.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:58 am

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Anyone have any recent reports or photos? I got a letter in the mail stating that they had refurbished for the 10 year anniversary. It would be great if they added some sofas to the room and made the Westin Studios junior suites.

I chose either of the Hyatt's in Melbourne over this property simply because all rooms other than the Regent Suites have no furniture that allows you to relax after a hard day's work, other than the bed and small armchair.
Hi there,

Funny that you mentioned the 10-year anniversary as our stay began on the night they held their gala. We (the Griswalds) just finished driving the entire day from Sydney and weren't exactly looking our best at the end of the day. We felt a bit sheepish as we pulled up in a Ford rental car amid Audis and BMWs. We then slinked through the lobby amidst tuxedos and formal ball gowns. They invited us down for drinks but we politely declined ;-) We just used points for a two-night stay but because of the hotel's policy toward the number of people in the room, we ended up getting two adjoining suites as they won't allow four people (two adults, two children) in the same room.

The suites (542, 43) were amazing with modern furniture, large LCD TVs (52") in each room, work desks, spacious bathrooms with rainfall showers and separate elaborate bath tubs, and plenty of room. There was a comfy chair and ottoman in the corner of each room respectively. There weren't anything like chaise lounge chairs in the rooms. The four of us would have done just fine in the one room with two double beds but they won't allow it. However, no lounge or other perks for Plats outside of the complimentary internet and access to the health facilities (which are very nice). Pool, sauna, bubble pool, workout facilities etc.

Hope this helps :-)

Cheers,

Singlepoint
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:02 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The hotel does only has two suites, The Regent Suites. I assume you are referring to Westin Studios?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:59 am

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
The hotel does only has two suites, The Regent Suites. I assume you are referring to Westin Studios?
Sorry - my bad. They would have been Studios - but they were very spacious and nice.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA G
Are they fully done with renovations at this property?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:08 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Looks like it's a "refersh" and not a total makeover. See http://www.spicenews.com.au/2010/08/...LXULVMZBE.html
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Looks like it's a "refersh" and not a total makeover. See http://www.spicenews.com.au/2010/08/...LXULVMZBE.html
Correct. Many rooms especially the better ones were done a while ago and are indeed very nice. I can highly recommend the hotel and the Studios are great for couples and even nice when traveling with a baby.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:29 am

Programs: UA G
Sweet, thanks. Any chance of an upgrade as a Gold?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by unavaca
Sweet, thanks. Any chance of an upgrade as a Gold?

In my experience, not a great chance as a Plat. I'll be there in a couple of weeks and report back.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I spent the night there on Saturday. Arrived at the hotel around 11 a.m. after the long flight in. Room wasn't ready so we left bags at the front desk and went out for a few hours. Room was ready when we came back early afternoon. Got a "renovated" room on the top floor. I agree with the previous comment that it's more of a refresh than a full makeover. I think they removed the top part of the old entertainment centers to make room for the new flat panel TVs, fresh paint, new carpet and curtains, and some blue furniture accessories that I don't remember from last year when I was there. The bathrooms are large with separate bath and shower, which I love.

This is a very nice property in an excellent location, but other than amenity points (which haven't posted yet), there's not much Platinum treatment to speak of (IME). I still like it and would definitely go back if in Melbourne, though I'm amazed at the prices they are able to charge (prices fluctuated from AUD 250-365 for our night). Thank goodness for starpoints.

The lobby is usually lively and the staff friendly. We stopped by the concierge to ask if they had a map for the Great Ocean Road. We got three maps and a detailed description of the drive, recommendations for which towns to stop in, etc. Very thorough and helpful.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I was there on Saturday too! Was the renovated room any kind of upgrade? I was just upgraded to a city view room. There was a wedding that weekend, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.