Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
Both Melbourne and Sydney Westins are totally no smoking.
Old May 13, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Westin - Melbourne

Title says it all--I'm using the Asia-Pacific MasterCard free weekend that I earned last month for Friday and Saturday.
I've never stayed at SPG in Australia, and while looking at threads it seems like this is a good place to use the Free Weekend.
I know it does depend on availability, but what is generally the norm for a situation like this--are they likely to do a better Plat upgrade if I've booked a nicer room for the paid night, or won't it matter at all?
Queen Bed no view A$290
King Bed city view A$315
King Bed w/Balcony A$355
Studio A$535
The stay is in Aussie Winter, 5-8 July. Winter promos seem to include breakfast for about A$35/night on top of room rates.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old May 13, 2007, 2:52 pm
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Title says it all--I'm using the Asia-Pacific MasterCard free weekend that I earned last month for Friday and Saturday.
I've never stayed at SPG in Australia, and while looking at threads it seems like this is a good place to use the Free Weekend.
I know it does depend on availability, but what is generally the norm for a situation like this--are they likely to do a better Plat upgrade if I've booked a nicer room for the paid night, or won't it matter at all?
Queen Bed no view A$290
King Bed city view A$315
King Bed w/Balcony A$355
Studio A$535
The stay is in Aussie Winter, 5-8 July. Winter promos seem to include breakfast for about A$35/night on top of room rates.

Thanks in advance for any input!
The property isn't very high, so don't be expecting a cityscape type view. You'll see adjoining buildings etc. but not a panoramic view. Having said that, paying A$25 (US$20) to secure some view for 3 nights would be a no-brainer for me; I'd perhaps chance the balcony upgrade to Plat status especially in the winter.
Old May 13, 2007, 4:14 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I've stayed here a dozen times, always booked the lowest rate, and gotten the studio suite as an upgrade each time. But the rooms are all substantially the same -- built to a very high standard, this hotel was originally meant to be luxury condos (half the building became condos, half hotel); so all you get with an upgrade is more floor space. The view isn't panoramic (though good for people watching), and the location is superb. Used to have the best concierge in Australia (since moved on).
Old May 13, 2007, 6:05 pm

Programs: Accor Plat,SGP plat, Hyatt Dia, PC Plat, QF Plat, SG TPP, TG Gold
In my experience here..20 plus stays, book the lowest rate and always get an upgrade ( although the lowest rate is getting quite expensive relative to the Grand Hyatt). However, on reward stays it's hit or miss...sometimes and upgrade, sometimes a view of a brick wall facing the back of the hotel. This is now a completely non-smoking hotel.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 7:04 am

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Westin - Melbourne

Wow, what an amazing experience. Went into it not expecting anything SPGwise because I wasn't paying for the stay but handed over my card after check in anyway once I realized I had it with me (I'm on an overseas holiday staying mostly with friends and left the bulk of my misc. cards home).

Clerk took number and immediately sent up a tray of complementary snacks. On turn down the three rooms also received our choice of hot drink (Cadbury hot chocolate is delicious) and pastry. These added bonuses were on top of a $100 AU voucher that the bride and groom received for a multi-night stay. PLus, of course, the rooms were _amazing_.

I have no standing other than the "preferred plus" that comes with the *wood AMEX.

Great property, great location for anyone in the area.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 7:22 am

Programs: SQ PPS, Jet Airways Platinum,
I stayed there on Thursday night and must say as Plat, I was disappointed. No room upgrade, nothing that made one feel Plat except ofcourse the effort the hotel staff make to call you by name. I discovered there was no lounge...after spending two days at the Westin Sydney, this was disappointing for sure.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 8:05 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by IndiaFlyer
I stayed there on Thursday night and must say as Plat, I was disappointed. No room upgrade, nothing that made one feel Plat except ofcourse the effort the hotel staff make to call you by name. I discovered there was no lounge...after spending two days at the Westin Sydney, this was disappointing for sure.

Was the hotel very busy?

It appears this Westin is often near capacity. Unless you are going to pay very close to Rack rates, it is very hard to secure a room.

I am staying at this Westin this coming week, as a Gold. But will check out as a Plat ^
Old Feb 23, 2008, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
My own experience last month was that the hotel was showing studio rooms (or whatever the bigger rooms are called) available online, but I received no upgrade when I checked in.

I later complained to the duty manager about this and was sent a bottle of Moet and strawberries and told that this was a booking system anomoly and they didnt have other rooms available but they would move us the following day. Since we had changed rooms after the first day in Sydney too we really couldn't be bothered and elected to stay where we were, but I was not very impressed with this hotel. I certainly would not go out of the way to stay here again even if it meant choosing a chain in which I did not have status. All that said the location wasn't bad and the parking charge wasn't too bad.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:13 am

Westin Melbourne [Master Thread]

I notice there are no reviews for this hotel that i could find doing a search and I'm heading there next month for the first time and I'm wondering if someone can tell me what to expect Plat wise? Also, what the hotel is like overall.

Am i right in assuming there is no club lounge? Is it easy to get 4 pm late check out?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Aug 23, 2008 at 10:37 am Reason: Merged into newly created master thread without edit
Old Aug 23, 2008, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Simmo
I notice there are no reviews for this hotel that i could find doing a search and I'm heading there next month for the first time and I'm wondering if someone can tell me what to expect Plat wise? Also, what the hotel is like overall.

Am i right in assuming there is no club lounge? Is it easy to get 4 pm late check out?
I stayed in January 2008 so there may be more recent updates available.

I received no upgrade as a Plat, I just got the room I paid for. Plats should be upgraded to Studios at this property. Studios are slightly larger rooms at the end of each floor.

The stay was so so, the hotel location isn't bad but I would probably choose to stay elsewhere next time I am in MEL. You are corret in your assumption that there is no Club Lounge.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 8:39 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I was there a few weeks ago and got an upgrade to the Studio room. The hotel, while having no lounge, is really a nice property in a good area and the Studio rooms are fantastic - with a huge washroom and soaker tub. The gym is really good, open 24h, with a pool, steam room, and sauna open until 10pm I believe. I had it to myself most of the time which was very nice. I had no problem getting 4pm check out, and then staying until 6pm in the gym (full shower facilities with Molten Brown stuff)

The hotel is on a busy street with lots of shopping - a great fruit stand right across the street (open even in Winter).

The "Heavenly Bed" package is a good deal too - you get a $650 package of a bed set for only about $250 above the room price (Winter Special)
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond
We stayed here a few years ago on our honeymoon. We had a very pleasant experience. Loved the location, and our room (not sure of the room type we were given). Opposed to the Westin Sydney where we were assigned to what must have been a recently converted broom closet until I had to strongly voice my displeasure. We are only golds, but there were clearly better rooms available as we were easily moved to a more suitable room.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:41 am

Great hotel and nice staff. But the upgrades could be better.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Just stayed here this past week. Rooms were nice, no plat upgrade though was staying on points + cash. They did offer the plat amenity though don't think the points will come through.

Health club was very nice, one of the better hotel gyms I've seen - pool, sauna/steam room, weights, aerobic machines.

Only issue I had was with concierge, pretty much useless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.