Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:57 pm

An update:

I wrote to the hotel's General Manager and the Starwood customer service, as suggested.

I have recvd a very prompt reply and explanation.

I'd like to offer the following two pieces of information as a result:

1) I have been assured that the doorman on duty is one of the hotel's most highly regarded employees with a long history in the hospitality industry and that he was shocked to learn of my account.

2) There is an apparent distinction between the room catagories at the Westin. It was suggested to me that my room is often highly requested (it was suggested they are quieter). I however was not offered any options at the time of checkin at noon, even though those other rooms were available. I would recommend you ask for an explanation of the difference between Swanston Street 'Superior Bay' rooms and 'Balcony' rooms and 'Regent Place' Rooms at the time of your reservation. I think room 701 is an example of a "regent place" room.

I wrote back as I do not accept the explanation for the lack of availability of choice in room selection at time of checkin.

Hope this helps.

I am off to read search the threads on Sth American hotels.

[This message has been edited by vigneron (edited Dec 05, 2003).]
Old May 7, 2004, 11:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Westin Melbourne Australia [Master Thread]

I am writing this from the Hilton Adleaide.. Which I am not enjoying as much as I did the Westin... I arrived very early in the morning from the early SQ flight. After F on SQ I was a bit tired cause I took advantage of the service for the ful 6 and a half hours! My room was not ready, so they allowed me to use the pool area. Very nice indoor heated pool with large connecting jacuzzi. I was able to unwind. Then I get up and get my room. I was upgraded to a studio room on the second floor. I would not call it a suite, but it was quite large, walk in around the corner a large bathroom with shower and seperate bath. No Molton Brown As the showers downstairs had. The room was spacious, and accomadated my get together the later evening. I would highly recomend this hotel, and put it somewhere on my top 20 list. The staff were wonderful, and even helped out with a suprise limo ride I arranged for this girl. The service in the lobby bar area was a bit spotty though I will admit. Anyway Too bad the Hilton ADL does not follow the Westin. And here I am paying $155 when I paid $60 at the Westin (Cash and points, gotta love it!)

Cheers
Old May 8, 2004, 6:01 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by ryan754
No Molton Brown ... I would highly recomend this hotel, and put it somewhere on my top 20 list.
And you didn't even have one of their better rooms. I fully agree, the MEL Westin is a great hotel, very well run and has superb concierges (particularly Steve who can arrange anything). The suites are stocked with Aveda, FWIW, and have very nice furnishings (better than any Starwood in the US and that's saying something).
Old May 8, 2004, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
One of the better Westins, even if you only get one of the corner rooms as I think you may have had. Great location as well. But I am afraid it will now be overrun by SPGers since the Sheraton is changing ownership/management. As for the Hilton Adelaide, not a fair comparison as the two properties are two or more decades apart in their original construction, and the Hilton shows it at times, though I have always been treated well and don't find it all that shabby. About the same period as the Melbourne [by the park] and the Sydney Hiltons. I would expect once Sydney is complete, Adelaide should be next on the list for modernization...
Old May 19, 2005, 10:03 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton

I'm looking for a room for about 5 or 6 nights in late October (could be split into 2 stays), and the rate doesn't seem too attractive at the moment.

The web site shows $275, but when you come to choosing the type of room, the cheapest is $300 non-refundable (perhaps it's tax, I don't know)...

- Is this price range typical for this property? If I apply the 'stay x nights get y free' promotion, the price comes down to about $225 to $250 a night...
- Even at this far out, there're no non-smoking rooms available...?! I realise sometimes it's not guaranteed, but at least it should be listed as a room type...?

Typically, I book a cancellable room, then monitor the price and change it to a non-refundable one if the price goes down significantly... The $300 non-refundable deal isn't too attractive... Should I just forget this and look at non-Starwood properties?

I'm a SPG Gold if that matters...
Old May 19, 2005, 10:26 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The cash+points rate is a good value at this property. The rate always seems to be about AUD 300 here (has been about that for all my stays). It's a very good hotel, maybe the best in Australia, I wouldn't consider staying elsewhere except maybe the Park Hyatt (which costs more).
Old May 19, 2005, 10:38 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
The normal rate does typically run between $275-300. In your case, late October is getting into the Spring Racing Carnival and Melbourne Cup (1st Tuesday in November - making the last weekend in October very busy) so I wouldn't be surprised if the rates edged up a bit more. You'd be pretty lucky to find a rate less than the $225 you're getting with the stay x nights etc.

Last edited by chad75; May 20, 2005 at 1:18 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:26 am

I just wanted to report back after our trip.... We spent some time at the Westin Melbourne, Australia, and found it to be much nicer than expected. The room was large and comfortable, and the bathroom even larger... the service was nothing short of fantastic. For anyone contemplating a trip there, I wouldn't hesitate.

Now, as for Noosa, there's something wrong with that hotel. The pool was so nice & just kept calling our names and we couldn't seem to leave... it's the most relaxing place. How do they do that? We were given an amenity (free wine & pastry) upon arrival, even though we are lowly gold... it was much appreciated.

We also stayed at the Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast. We were upgraded to Ocean View which was nice. while you are in the hotel, or at the pool, you feel totally isolated. You wouldn't know all the high rises were less than 5 minutes away....

So, any questions, just ask By the way, we should be thankful that SPG runs as smoothly as it does. We used 16,000 choice points to stay at the Adelaide Clarion Rendezvous on New Years Eve... When we arrived, they told us that our record sent from Choice only indicated 1 traveler, so all they had available to us was a king bed... this even though my confirmation indicated a double & two single beds, for a family of four... Eventually they gave us the last two rooms in the hotel... one king bedded room on the second floor & one single bedded room that accomodated two on the 7th floor... Unfortunately when we checked out the next morning, we waited twenty minutes to check out & then come to find out they claim they never received this as an award room & we were being charged for it!!! I had about fifty people behind me checking out.... I absolutely refused to pay the bill, and told them to make a copy of my confirmation which clearly indicated the room was paid for with points.... with so many people behind me, and my standing my ground, they caved... but I guarantee we will not ever use Choice Hotel's again. It was a poor choice. With hundreds of SPG stays, I have never had a single problem like this.... go figure....

Last edited by chris1gill; Jan 23, 2006 at 10:30 am
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:48 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Just wanted to add my 2 bits worth (because I could find very little information on the Westin when I was researching MEL hotels):

Originally Posted by chris1gill
We spent some time at the Westin Melbourne, Australia, and found it to be much nicer than expected. The room was large and comfortable, and the bathroom even larger... the service was nothing short of fantastic. For anyone contemplating a trip there, I wouldn't hesitate.
Ditto for me. Loved the room, the service and the location. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Avoid the Allegro restaurant for dinner - overpriced, poorly prepared food(e.g. hopelessly overcooked fish) and totally apathetic service. Breakfasts were very good there though.

Edited to add: This was my second *wood hotel stay. The other was in Edinburgh. So far it's been 2 out of 2! ^ ^

Last edited by Cheetah_SA; Aug 1, 2006 at 7:55 am
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
The westin has always been nice, in fact much nicer than westin sydney, in my opinion. The lobby is quiet and the rooms feels spacious, modern and calming. The westin melbourne is however quite an upper class hotel in melbourne and its quite possible to see rolls royce and such cars parked in the lobby. The rooms are however expensive compared to other chains in the area
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:22 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond
I just wanted to chime in. We too had a marvelous stay at the Westin Melbourne. An excellent hotel.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:19 pm

How is the location?

I'm stying there for 1 night in 2 weeks and am looking for something to do.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:30 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond
Excellent location, plenty to do in walking distance or by tram.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:47 am
Suspended

currently at my fourth night of a five night stay. i used an award.

i stayed at this hotel about three years ago. plusses with this hotel include the extremely high service level. previous observations of staff remembering your name apply. the concierge staff is great. the service is very strong. the hotel is also very centrally located in the central business district (CBD). other options include two hyatts (including a park hyatt).

on the negative side, the hotel has not aged well. carpeting is very stained and the furniture is very knicked up. the rooms have seen better days, to say the least.

the gym is average, at best. there is a pool and a sauna.

valet is roughly A$30. internet is A$25 per 24 hours. there is free wireless internet in the lobby.

the bed in our first room was very un-heavenly. we were moved and the bed is better. in between, we saw a couple of rooms and the carpeting and furniture had definitely seen better days.

each room had great showers with a regular shower and a rain shower. every room we saw had a separate shower/bath.

the brunch at allegro was good but expensive (A$35).

overall, i loved the hotel three years ago. now, i simply like it. but, there aren't other starwood options so like it or lump it. a few dollars in room renovations would certainly help.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 6:40 am

Programs: SPG Plat; Hilton Silv; AA Plat; QF Gold;
Agree with previous poster...

This hotel has seen better days. 3 or 4 years ago, it was top notch, but it's starting to show a bit of wear and tear. I stayed there 3 times last year.

I find this hotel a bit overpriced, but if you do end up booking a room, I quite like the deluxe with a balcony, overlooking Swanston or Collins Street.

IMHO, the studios (cnr rooms) are well overpriced, usually around another $200 p/night on top of the deluxe rate. Definantely not worth it for the extra 10sqm you get.

Good Luck with it, the location is certainly a plus with this property. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.