Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 2:28 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by m0hamed
7 people? How many rooms are you looking at? Even the Regent Suites only have 1 bedroom...

I think the property is more beautiful than the Westin Sydney. As for the SOTP, the Executive Club makes this hotel, so it can't really compare.
Was thinking of getting two (preferably connecting) rooms: one paid, the other on points.

Over in the Oceania threads, there have been grouses that however nice it is, the Westin Melbourne doesn't warrant the AUD395 (BAR) rate compared with what else is available.

And having stayed at the Westin Sydney and SOTP, I'd say they were OK but nothing fantastic -- and certainly of lower quality than their counterparts in Asia.

It seems mainly the shortage of supply of hotels in Australia that's allowing them to charge ridiculous rates for something pedestrian.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 2:42 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by roverkt
Was thinking of getting two (preferably connecting) rooms: one paid, the other on points.

Over in the Oceania threads, there have been grouses that however nice it is, the Westin Melbourne doesn't warrant the AUD395 (BAR) rate compared with what else is available.

And having stayed at the Westin Sydney and SOTP, I'd say they were OK but nothing fantastic -- and certainly of lower quality than their counterparts in Asia.

It seems mainly the shortage of supply of hotels in Australia that's allowing them to charge ridiculous rates for something pedestrian.
I don't think you can get away with 2 rooms for 7 people. Have you checked the maximum occupancy for each room?

To be honest, a property with apartments such as the Hilton South Wharf might be better, especially with club access.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Ok, it's been established that Plats get treated like plebs at this property.

Does anyone have experience with how child (un)friendly (ages 3-5) it is?

Should I bust my Starpoints at this property or would I be better off getting a serviced apartment for a family trip of 5 adults and two kids?

How does the Westin Melbourne compare with the Westin Sydney and Sheraton on the Park?

Thanks.
I know that they are strict on the number of people allowed in a room (3 max). I know when my wife and I stayed with our two children, we had to get 2 separate rooms. They managed to get quasi-connecting rooms for us.

Didn't stay at SOTP, but the four of us were able to stay in the same room - it was a gorgeous corner suite - at the Westin Sydney. Was two separate rooms.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Singlepoint
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by Singlepoint
I know that they are strict on the number of people allowed in a room (3 max). I know when my wife and I stayed with our two children, we had to get 2 separate rooms. They managed to get quasi-connecting rooms for us.
Thanks, this helped as I was looking to have 2 adults and 2 kids in the same room.

Anyone has had a successful application of SNAs at this property?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:48 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Thanks, this helped as I was looking to have 2 adults and 2 kids in the same room.

Anyone has had a successful application of SNAs at this property?
Our stay was prior to the implementation of SNA, however, as other posters have noted, the property (Westin Melbourne) seems to be quite tight-fisted with suite upgrades.

Good luck,

Singlepoint
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:34 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Singlepoint
Our stay was prior to the implementation of SNA, however, as other posters have noted, the property (Westin Melbourne) seems to be quite tight-fisted with suite upgrades.
I'm not standing up for them, as they do treat Plats poorly (Ihad to argue about a confirmed Your24) but there are only 2 suites at this property, rarely for sale for less than $1500/nt and these are NOT the SNA upgrade - it's a corner room, called a Spa Studio (It's a room with jets in the tub) but it is bigger than the standard rooms at 52sqm. SNAs won't get a suite here.

i have scored a Regent Suite here, but only after negotiating with a lovely girl in res, paying for a night and only using day-use from 10.00-18.00

Last edited by BonViveur; Aug 29, 2013 at 10:41 am
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
Stayed at this Westin for the first time last week. Upgraded to a Spa Suite which was more than enough space for the two of us. Plenty of natural light in the room and great Melbourne views.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Looking at staying here around Dec 23 - Dec 26... is this hotel worth around 240USD/night?

If I understand this thread correctly:
- there's no lounge
- Plat recognition is so-so

There seem to be quite a number of better deals around.

What do you think?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zagy
Looking at staying here around Dec 23 - Dec 26... is this hotel worth around 240USD/night?

If I understand this thread correctly:
- there's no lounge
- Plat recognition is so-so

There seem to be quite a number of better deals around.

What do you think?
The location is great. Right in the center and walking distance to everything. I've been there in December and there's usually a lot of xmas decorations on the little square in front of the hotel.

Melbourne has a vibrant restaurant and bar scene. Go out instead of hanging out in the hotel. Be aware that restaurants book out and you need to get reservations in advance. The concierge couldn't help us with that.

Looks like you can get a lot of other properties for $240/night. I'd still go with the Westin. Sure, you get less perks, but we've always had a great stay there.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:44 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
any recent stay reports here?

thanks in advance.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:18 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
I notice this hotel has recently labelled all three check in podiums as SPG Gold/Platinum.

I guess while technically this meets the requirement to provide a dedicated check in it has the practical effect of removing the premium check in.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:20 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by chad75
I notice this hotel has recently labeled all three check in podiums as SPG Gold/Platinum.

I guess while technically this meets the requirement to provide a dedicated check in it has the practical effect of removing the premium check in.
Surprised no one has responded. Thanks for bringing it up
This is a good observation and I think its almost comical if not sad
Perhaps everyone on the world is now elite?
The only true elite is the one without status
Now one has to only hope any one of the three check in podiums are actually open for check in/out
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
any recent stay reports here?

thanks in advance.
I stayed there a bunch in Feb - it's a beautiful hotel in a perfect spot in Melbourne. I was upgraded to a larger room overlooking the street as a Platinum. Note the street does allow some noise in - so ask for no view if you want total quiet. Personally, I didn't mind it.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:17 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I stayed there a bunch in Feb - it's a beautiful hotel in a perfect spot in Melbourne. I was upgraded to a larger room overlooking the street as a Platinum. Note the street does allow some noise in - so ask for no view if you want total quiet. Personally, I didn't mind it.
Good to hear and accurate observation. You really wonder sometimes how they build such a beautiful property and pay no attention to the importance of sound proofing
The property is blessed with one of the very best GMs in the Starwood Galaxy of Leadership worldwide. This wasn't the case years ago
This is not an easy property to manage either.There are very limited upgrades available (hardly any) when it comes time to suite upgrades for Plats.
However they have some very nice rooms they can assign/upgrade too.Otherwise very good reliable property in all other regards.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
any recent reports on platinum breakfast benefit?

thanks in advance.

------------------------------------------

ok after searching the platinum breakfast thread, i found the answer. but more recent inputs would be appreciated.

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Jan 25, 2015 at 8:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.